Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Amsoil for me. If you compare numbers nothing equals it. Plus it's formulated to last 7500, 25,000, or 35,000 miles depending on which one you go with. And they offer a 25,000 mile filter.

Many don't trust this. I do, here's why. product is 100% guaranteed not to damage what you put it in. If it does they fix it. They've never had to pay a claim. They're the first to manufacture synthetics for cars over 30 years ago and they make all of their own product. Also why would you say 25,000 miles if it really wasn't that good. You could sell more of your product if you said 10,000 miles.

Also better mpg. But you should get that with any true full syn. Most aren't a true full syn.

You'll be safe with Royal Purple, Redline and Mobil One.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
I'm currently running Castrol 0W-30 (made in Germany) in both my 03 Matrix and my 04 Tacoma. Excellent, true synthetic, oil. This can only be found at Autozone and MUST say "Made in Germany" on the back. There are two flavors, green (yes, it's green) and gold. The green has a date code of M05XX. The switch is somewhere around M0510. If the bottle's say "Made in America", it's plain old Grp III Syntec.

Amsoil is a good choice as well. Depending on your application, Walmart SuperTech synthetic (Grp III) is excellent, believe it or not. SuperTech filters are good also.

·
Sexy Run
183 Posts
I use quaker state full synthetic, that thing in kragen with the gears and the wheel thing made me buy it.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
My dad/brother have always used Penrite in their race cars, not cheap but works well.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Piloter said:
Mobil One 5-30. Tried the Castrol of the same viscosity, it burned even more quickly than the dino oils. Apparently it's not a 'true' synthetic?
Actually, Mobil 1 has gone to a Grp III (Same as Castrol Synetc) in some of it's applications. Mobil 1 5w-30 is actually a "thin" 30w on the viscosity charts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well talked to a Toyota mechanic and he said he would not use synthetic oil in any engine unless it was designed to run it..

·
Registered
206 Posts
htoler said:
well talked to a Toyota mechanic and he said he would not use synthetic oil in any engine unless it was designed to run it..
Anyone that would say this doesn't know much about synthetic oil. Just because they are a mechanic doesn't mean they know what they are talking about in regard to oil.

Ask him very specifically why he would say this. I bet he would stumble on his words.

Synthetic in no possible way will harm your engine. If anything it protects better.

Less friction
more stabil
lasts longer
stays cleaner
6 times greater film strengh
More consistant viscosity over the entire operating temp range.
better for the seals.

The only possible downfall is the initial cost is more. But over time with extended drain intervals and better mpg, (even if you only gain 1 mpg) it costs less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he didn't say it would hurt the engine just that there is no way it could protect the engine for 25 thousand miles between oil changes he said it was because of the heating and cooling of the engine and the production of moisture from that. for the reason it would not last that long.. he said 7`500 miles would be really pushing it..if a synthetic was used..

·
Registered
206 Posts
His opinion. not based on any facts what-so-ever. Go to bobistheoilguy.com and read some of the results of used oil analisys. There are many that are over 10k and the oil is still fine. Though you won't find many over the 15k mark, they are there.

In other cases where people use premium air filters and by-pass oil filter systems there are people that go over 100k doing periodoc UOA's.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I change the oils every 10,000km on the benz. Service states 15000km.. I think its too much, why risk it.

Ok so did drive 38000km on some shit oils in my nissan. They stank to high heaven when I took them out. No other damage was present... Still, I dont think its that good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts