Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is everyone's view on the use of synthetic motor oil?

Do you like a particular brand? I use Mobil One.

·
Registered
443 Posts
5w30 Mobil 1 Synth. no problums so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CrawlingEye said:
I use Mobil1 10w30 for my camry, I'm thinking of trying amsoil, which from what I gather, makes quite good oil. :)
A lot of fantasic claims are being made about Amzoil. One of them being that you can go as much as 25k between changes. I don't care how good an oil is; after awhile it gets dirty and can't remain in the engine for such a long time.

I go six months or 5k with Mobile One. The consensus seems to be that Mobile One is perhaps the finest on the market.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Amsoil makes a fine synthetic oil. Though anyone claiming 25k from any oil in a daily driven car is on the crack pipe. In reading up on the oil analysis forum that has been posted here before, it is a better synthetic, and IMO rates with redline or royal purple as a top easily available brand. The others (commercial Mobil 1, castrol, etc) as a very small step below, and any appears to be a huge step above the common dino oils out there.

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bgrieger said:
In reading up on the oil analysis forum that has been posted here before, it is a better synthetic, and IMO rates with redline or royal purple as a top easily available brand.
Where can you go if you want to have an oil analysis done? Is it expensive?

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
I have used Mobil1 every since I did my overhaul back in 2000 and I haven't had any problems with it.

I've asked around and some said that Mobil1 is the best in the market in that bracket..

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
KingofDiamonds said:
A lot of fantasic claims are being made about Amzoil. One of them being that you can go as much as 25k between changes. I don't care how good an oil is; after awhile it gets dirty and can't remain in the engine for such a long time.

I go six months or 5k with Mobile One. The consensus seems to be that Mobile One is perhaps the finest on the market.
Agreed, I'd go usually 3k or 3 months give or take a bit, because I don't always have the time to change it.

I like to know that I have the added saftey of being lax on the changes and know that my car is riding on good stuff.

I recently found out that a local hardware shop sells amsoil (the only vendor in my area) so I think this coming oil change (in the next week) will be with amsoil rather than mobil 1. I always use K&N Gold filters as well... call me picky. :)

·
Registered
1988 AE80 Corolla
44 Posts
I use Castrol (saw it in the pictures in the owners manual lol) synthetic in my 81 4KC (aka carby POS :p) and change it every 5000km, and the filter every 10,000kms. This sounds okay right?

Cheers
DRaKeN

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Synthetic is the best stuff on earth. Superior protection and lifespan. Many of the best synthetic oils last 10,000-15,000 miles in a great condition engine before oil breakdown.
Amsoil has the best lifespan of any oil - true.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
Right now it's up to 37,000 miles of testing by members of Bobistheoilguy.com forum members.

If you want to know about oil, it's better to ask on the www.bobistheoilguy.com oil forums.

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
do u think its safe to add it to an older engine? i wanna add it to my cam that has 101. but i am afraid it is going to leak right out of the seals. help me out with some input, i wanna know more about this super oil.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
I put Castrol Syntec in my 5th Gen Celica with 125.000 Kms on it (I had the engine flushed and "washed" on the inside previous to this in order to romove dino oil sludge).
Engine now has 197.000 Kms and its still running great with no leaks or whatsoever.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You can go back but why?
The earliest you switch to synthetic the better.
Oil engine will start to burn and leak oil because synthetic clean all the sludge out and expose cracks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
amsoil will last long under normal condition. people tend to think it's impossible or will never believe because frankly, they are stuck to their beliefs. What if I told you guys that the Easter Bunny does not exist? :p:

Amsoil itself will last long, but it's the filter that will be limited. Change the filter at the correct interval and the oil should be good again.

I don't wanna be jackarse, but those who are running Castrol "synthetic oil" should be thinking if they are really getting what they are suppose to get. Castrol Syntec is superior to regular oil, but they are not Synthetic oil. The base oil itself is conventional, but Castrol puts the oil through a process called hydro-cracking to alter the chemical balance of the oil.

Mobile 1 for about the same price is synthetic.

As for myself, I use Royal Purple. :)

Synthetic Oil isn't bad for old car. My car has about 150k miles on it already and i did the synthetic change awhile ago. So far no leaks or bad affects.

And Synthetic is always better than regular oil. If your car is leaking due to changing to synthetic, don't blame the oil, blame your car. Your car has bad seals to start with already. Running regular oil to cover up the leaks is a poor excuse for not using synthetic. I would much rather know if I have leaks right now, than later on when things can get ugly and there could be potential problems.

Go for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts