Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally on the home-stretch for the installation into my girlfriend's 92 Camry. This is an ultra-budget system, with all brand new equipment, excluding the head unit & materials costs, coming in under $500. My goal from the start was to build the best possible $500 system I could. I chose CDT CL-61A components up front, Tangband W8-740 subs, and a Phoenix 400.4 amp to power it all. For the install, I decided to challenge myself by using materials that I haven't used before. I've used vinyl before, but this is my first time working with plexi, and will be my first time working with fiberglass besides the kick panels in my IROC. I haven't done the fiberglassing yet, but hopefully I'll get to that in coming weeks. I'm going to fiberglass the opening behind the rear seats where the baskets of the subs are visible.

Anyway, on with the stereo.

The box is a slot-ported enclosure. The way I designed the slot port, it gives me the ability to change the tuning frequency of BOTH enclosures by simply swapping out 1 piece of wood at the top of the box.

Here's the shape of the box without the back panel on it:

Here are pics of the box finished. Pay no attention to the speaker & power wire showing through the trunk arm slots. I haven't cleaned that stuff up yet because it's all coming back out to do the fiberglass work.

Up front I installed the CDT 6.5" components. The mids are in the stock door locations, and the tweeters are flushed into the kick panels. My goal up front (unlike the back) was to make it look as stock as possible so that nobody notices the stereo.

Future things that I still need to finish include fiberglassing the other side of the sub enclosure so that it looks good with the back seats down. I'm also going to build a panel to cover what's in the trunk so that when my girlfriend piles crap into the trunk it doesn't ruin the plexi & vinyl. I've also got red LEDs inside the enclosure that are pre-wired. I'm going to wire them, along with others in the trunk to turn on when the trunk is opened. Then I just need to make a trim ring for my old Kenwood PS-907 that I put into the dash, and it'll be done. :)

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
looks tight, i like the box design, especially the removable tuning block. Post a pic with the lights on once you've got it all cleaned up. All in all quality work

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Good job bro, you should give a review of the CDT's so other people can start looking into them.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Looks very nice, you should do some work for me when I get my subs. Only one question, why 8" subs?

·
Registered
171 Posts
^ I think he was on a pretty tight budget and the TB-8s are cheap and can sound good in the right box.

That's a beauty install Jim, I hope that box works well for the the 8's.
I also installed my tweets in the factory kick. It's an easy custom job that works well imo.

Good job!

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
i love the cover piece (very necessary, girls seem to hate the idea of actually being careful of subs) how did you get that toyo stamp in the carpet. It looks really hot. post pics of the leds when you can. nice work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To get the toyota logo under the carpet, I took a piece or 1/4" wood and cut the logo out. I glued that piece to the 1/2" MDF that I used for the cover panel. After it was glued in place, I carpeted over the whole thing.

·
JL Fanatik
42 Posts
Thats amazing work. GJ man. I definately love the ported tuning feature.
Another thing, work like that makes it hard to get your stereo stolen :)

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Nice set up. It really looks good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts