Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

2020 Lexus ES 350 F-Sport
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some 2020 – 2021 model year Camry, Camry Hybrid, Corolla Hatchback, RAV4, and RAV4 Hybrid vehicles and some 2021 model year Corolla, Corolla Hybrid, and RAV4 Prime vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
DTC B15A804 is present in current or history.​
Red SOS LED stays on after bulb check.​
Toyota App is inoperative.​
Unable to subscribe to remote services.​
Unable to activate Wi-Fi.​
Depleted 12V vehicle battery when in IG-OFF.

A DCM reset and firmware update is now available to address these conditions. Follow the DCM Reset and Firmware Update Procedure in this bulletin to update the firmware.

Also includes Canadian version. T-TCI-5389-en

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Here we have the second service bulletin this year regarding the ongoing struggle Toyota has with their connectivity tech. In my case, the dealer did not bother updating the firmware before turning my 2020 XLE over to me, and I wasted hours on the phone with Toyota support, and four trips to the dealer, and now still have no functionality for remote start or status, either with the keyfob or the app.
Adding insult to injury, this is the service that TMC wants us to pay them for every month - even keyfob functionality for remote start is tied to a paid service subscription. I'm curious if anyone else is harassed by this situation? How do you feel about paying monthly for the app?

2020 Lexus ES 350 F-Sport
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here we have the second service bulletin this year regarding the ongoing struggle Toyota has with their connectivity tech. In my case, the dealer did not bother updating the firmware before turning my 2020 XLE over to me, and I wasted hours on the phone with Toyota support, and four trips to the dealer, and now still have no functionality for remote start or status, either with the keyfob or the app.
Adding insult to injury, this is the service that TMC wants us to pay them for every month - even keyfob functionality for remote start is tied to a paid service subscription. I'm curious if anyone else is harassed by this situation? How do you feel about paying monthly for the app?
have them replace the dcm module?

· Registered
4 Posts
have them replace the dcm module?
I've had the exact same issue on my 2020 RAV4 and that same TSB supposedly applies. They replaced my DCM last Friday and as of today it is still sitting at the dealer non-functional with no promise of when they will figure it out. I am still in the free trial period but would NEVER give them a dime for their remote connect or safety connect. Toyota tech is completely incompetent in dealing with connectivity issues and they won't even cooperate with their own dealers. They will give you a case number and promise to call back but never do. Before they messed with it, my remote connect would not start the vehicle but at least it would lock/unlock the doors and tell me where it was parked. Since they replaced the DCM-nothing works, including the Toyota app. If I know then what I know now, I would just ignore the remote connect and safety connect. I can't wait until I get my next Consumer Reports member survey where they ask for experience ratings on your vehicles. I would give Toyota a negative 10 on their connectivity/tech quality.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing. The firmware update in this years first TSB, after much hassle, got the app to work for me. The key had been working for remote start from the get go. After a month or so, both app AND key functionality was lost. What changed? No clue.
I've had better luck with the corporate customer experience people, they always follow up as promised. The dealer seems both careless and clueless.
The customer experience people said they couldn't extend my trial period (I asked for that so they could prove there was something worth buying), but they picked up a car payment for me by way of recompense.
The key functionality should be free IMO. Beyond the tech problems, they are making a bad customer relations mistake by bundling key fob remote start with the subscription app services.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 RAV4 XLE hybrid. The first time the battery died was May 2020. The second was December 2021. Toyota service said there was a tracking device factory installed that was drawing power (even though we don't subscribe to the tracking service). They removed it and I hope that fixes the problem. I asked them about the TSB 0095-20 and they said my VIN wasn't in the TSB list. THere are plenty of others posting with the same problem at Car Gurus https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c29023_ds1091695

· Registered
3 Posts
Toyota service said there was a tracking device factory installed that was drawing power (even though we don't subscribe to the tracking service). They removed it ...
This is most startling. Can you please post more details? What
dealership did this work? Did you get a service receipt describing the
work done? Did they give you the "removed" part? Photo? Thanks.

· Registered
10 Posts
The DCM module does this. Read up in your owners manual. Yes if it’s ON then your being tracked and Toyota sells the info. Some folks opt out but you lose several potential safety related functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
8,698 Posts
This is most startling. Can you please post more details? What
dealership did this work? Did you get a service receipt describing the
work done? Did they give you the "removed" part? Photo? Thanks.
Some regions install the "TheftPatrol" unit at the port.
This is effectively a Lojack, and if you pay the subscription, they create an account that allows you to monitor and track your vehicle's location and other functions such as 12v battery state.
If you don't subscribe, the device is not removed.

It also helps the dealers if vehicles are stolen from the lot, and you may be able to get a break on your insurance rates.

Land vehicle Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Car Tire

Ecoregion Map Rectangle Line Font

· Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
8,698 Posts
The DCM module does this. Read up in your owners manual. Yes if it’s ON then your being tracked and Toyota sells the info. Some folks opt out but you lose several potential safety related functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"They removed it" would not apply to the DCM tracking... that would have to be a 3rd party unit such as Lojack Early Warning, TheftPatrol, or some other similar system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.