Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got the extended cab...I noticed that the AC was sorta...weak. Checked the system and the sight glass was clear. I noticed the low pressure line (cold) ran by the passenger side exhaust. This heat radiation will decrease the amount of cooling power the AC system will have.

So I foam wrapped the pipe and put some zip ties to keep the foam from splitting back apart. I also put in an aluminum heat shield to reduce the amount of heat the foam and pipe will git attacked with. It's not ideal but it's the scrap parts I had on hand fer the moment. It feels like it's gitting much cooler in the cab and faster, too. Ambient temps outside are above 90°F and the starting temp of the cab is around 104°F. Yes...I keep the glove box door open all the time to git the max amount of air circulating (since I rarely have passengers in the front passenger seat). ;)

Piccies... :D

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
70 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue and being that I'm from Houston TX, well I will try this one too, seems like wednesday is going to be a busy day for me and the T100 (Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plugs, SP Cables, and I will take the wheels off to look at the brake pads and see how they are doing) ;-)

And Thanks for the tip about the AC. It should be like common sense, but then again common sense is not as common.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on what part of Houston yer at, I can come by and help a little. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do... :D

Reactions: 96Wolf

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
70 Posts
Thanks Bam, I live in the North Side, By 45N and FM 1960 and driving through the rush hour traffic is not there is no really easy way to go trhough the downtown area. But if you do I'll get some cold drinks (not necessarly beer but cold for the heat).

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna be heading up that way to look at a long bed T100...so you never know. Send me some contact info in a PM. :D

AC really worked well today. It sorta felt like a freezer after about 30 min today... :D

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
70 Posts
Thanks for the help and the spare parts Bam, it was nice meeting you and if I can help you with something in the future let me know.

·
Procrastinating on TN
'93 Pickup
3,459 Posts
Not a bad idea, my pops has a T100 xtra cab i'll have to suggest that to him. :thumbup:

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The key is make sure yer pipe is clean before you wrap it. Don't want a sandpaper action happening down there... ;)

Also, make sure the heat shield isn't rubbing up against any lines... :D

I still say this is a keeper... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed something the other day...how many of you don't have a drain hose fer yer evaporator drain? I know I have one on my 93 T100...and only the hole fer the 98 T100. I noticed on a 95 T100 and on a 96 T100 didn't have anything fer that either. I just got a 5/16" hose and stuffed it in there a little to make sure no extra heat from the engine bay would git sucked up in there to make it warmer than it needed to be and to also allow the condensation to drain where I wanted it to go instead of just anywhere. ;) :D

Reactions: PreHistoricTundra

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I came across this stuff today...anyone ever use it?

Enviro-Safe ES-12a is suppose to outperform R-12/R-134a refrigerants. I'm tempted to put the industrial ES-12a in the T-100... :D

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
Bam what size foam pipe wrap did you use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool Bam,

I'll try that wrap. I also have a feeling you're going to get some of that super-refrigerant soon. Please let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool Bam,

I'll try that wrap. I also have a feeling you're going to get some of that super-refrigerant soon. Please let us know how it works out!
heh. you mean the "normal" refrigerant they used before the health and emissions wave hit ?

R12 works BALLS :) WAY better than that new shit they make you use. the R134A has a much higher boiling point.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered up a case of the Enviro-Safe ES-12a and it should be here in a few. Hope to have this stuff installed and see how much of an impact it has on the system and maybe even some increase in the fuel mileage. ;):D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got my package on Friday...now I'm trying to hunt down a reliable AC tech to put the stuff in...just in time fer fall/winter... ;)

·
Registered
1996 t100 x-cab
153 Posts
Ever since I got the extended cab...I noticed that the AC was sorta...weak. Checked the system and the sight glass was clear. I noticed the low pressure line (cold) ran by the passenger side exhaust. This heat radiation will decrease the amount of cooling power the AC system will have.

So I foam wrapped the pipe and put some zip ties to keep the foam from splitting back apart. I also put in an aluminum heat shield to reduce the amount of heat the foam and pipe will git attacked with. It's not ideal but it's the scrap parts I had on hand fer the moment. It feels like it's gitting much cooler in the cab and faster, too. Ambient temps outside are above 90°F and the starting temp of the cab is around 104°F. Yes...I keep the glove box door open all the time to git the max amount of air circulating (since I rarely have passengers in the front passenger seat). ;)

Piccies... :D

great post.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never put in the EnvironSafe stuff in...

Been measuring the under the hood temps fer the past 5 months. Ambient temps of the 90's here are showing under the hood temps around 170°F. My AC is still blowing nice and cold... :D

Summer is right around the corner...you should do this before it gits too hot! ;)

·
Registered
KS
1,461 Posts
thanks for reminding me to do this Zip! I had it bookmarked to do this summer, I actually have a free weekend. I may just have to tackle this this weekend!!!

1 - 20 of 176 Posts