Toyota Nation Forum banner
181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
'97 T100 3.4 V6 DLX Xtra Cab 4x4
400 Posts
Great job! I got my parts to do this job as well, EVAP core, exp valve, drier, but I I'd like to see if there is enough room to add cooling fans looks likes there's enough space between grille and AC condenser to add one "maybe" two side by side, I notice in stop n go traffic or sitting idle AC not as cool, I'd like to try one fan on separate switch, see if this helps out, also want to do the mod you did by adding filter as a cabin filter

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great job! I got my parts to do this job as well, EVAP core, exp valve, drier, but I I'd like to see if there is enough room to add cooling fans looks likes there's enough space between grille and AC condenser to add one "maybe" two side by side, I notice in stop n go traffic or sitting idle AC not as cool, I'd like to try one fan on separate switch, see if this helps out, also want to do the mod you did by adding filter as a cabin filter

A fan would be sweet! Show us your quest hopefully it works out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could really use some help here. I’ve been watching this thread for a while and finally decided to do the mod, but figured I needed to check evap coil because the truck is fogging up unless it’s on constant AC. Struggled to get things apart cuz I figured I needed to expose the coil. Sure enough, it’s a mess and it’s damp in there. If you look at the pic, you can see just how much crud is in the bottom of the box. Is there an easy way to get the bottom half of the box off? Seems to be some screws in the back that would be impossible to get to.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Tread

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok thank you, but what happens with the lines that come through the firewall and attach to the coil? And pardon my stupidity but how do you evacuate the refrigerant?
Evacuate by going to a shop or buy a vacuum for yourself or borrow one from a friend. You detach those lines after you evacuate the freon and just simply pull it through into the cabin area after you remove the glove box. I hope that makes sense and answers your question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Evacuate by going to a shop or buy a vacuum for yourself or borrow one from a friend. You detach those lines after you evacuate the freon and just simply pull it through into the cabin area after you remove the glove box. I hope that makes sense and answers your question.
Thanks! Glovebox is out as well as the entire fan housing so should be easy. Any trick to detaching the lines?

·
Registered
150 Posts
N
Thanks! Glovebox is out as well as the entire fan housing so should be easy. Any trick to detaching the lines?
Na its pretty straight forward. But you need to evacuate before you detach them. You don't have to take the blower housing out to get to the evaporator. Unless you have a project with that too 😁. Since you have it taken apart dont forget to add your custom cabin air filter 😏

·
Registered
16 Posts
N

Na its pretty straight forward. But you need to evacuate before you detach them. You don't have to take the blower housing out to get to the evaporator. Unless you have a project with that too 😁. Since you have it taken apart dont forget to add your custom cabin air filter 😏
Not sure what that means but I definitely plan to replace the foam gasket and the foam on the fresh/cabin air door. It’s all disgusting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3/8" hose from the AC evaporator drain...

Through the holes in the body mount support...

And secured to my side skirt...

You will probably have to find a suitable spot to secure the end of yer drain hose. ;)
Bam, these pics are gone, or at least I can’t see them. Any chance you could repost them? I’m in the process of pulling my coil to clean all the gunk out of it and plan on installing the same drain hose. It he system is clearly not draining as I’m having issues with the truck fogging up. Hit the jackpot having a new neighbor who’s a HVAC guy and can vac and recharge the system for me with what he has on hand!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bam, these pics are gone, or at least I can’t see them. Any chance you could repost them? I’m in the process of pulling my coil to clean all the gunk out of it and plan on installing the same drain hose. It he system is clearly not draining as I’m having issues with the truck fogging up. Hit the jackpot having a new neighbor who’s a HVAC guy and can vac and recharge the system for me with what he has on hand!
Awesome, next you have to take out the AC Evaporator housing. Once you pull it out you'll see a series of bolts you have to undo to open the bastard up. Once you do, you can throw in your new evaporator. But as you know you have to do this went it is evacuated. :)

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
12,232 Posts
Did you see BAM's link on that job, the pics still post for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you see BAM's link on that job, the pics still post for me.
Yeah, I can see the pics on that thread. I just can’t see the ones he posted to this thread showing how he routed the drain tube.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cabin Air Filter Mod when you have it taken apart. I see now that I stole the idea from Bam :)!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cabin Air Filter Mod when you have it taken apart. I see now that I stole the idea from Bam :)!

Bam is full of great ideas, thanks! It’s all back together now and working great! I wrapped the low pressure line while I was into the project. Got some good foam weather seal to replace the crumbling foam on the top side of the fan box. The foam on that fresh/recirc door was really nasty too so I scraped it off. Couldn’t think of where to get something similar so I put several layers of mole skin on it. Seems fine.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts