Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 3.4L 4wd T100, 149,500 miles on it. When I bought the truck the check engine light was on, it's been that way for over a year. I never checked the codes on it, but was told that it was a bad "Charcoal Box." Within the past few months the truck has been losing power, also during warmer weather it would sometime take a couple turns of the starter to fire up, in cold weather no problem. I started by changing the plugs, they were the correct plugs, and were replaced with Nippon-Denso plugs (whatever all the threads on the forum recommend), improved a little, but no change with the check engine light. I then changed the fuel filter...probably hadn't been changed in ages because it was rusted in, but alas no difference. I then borrowed a OBDII and checked the codes P0441. Then suddenly about a month ago the truck started running better, and the check engine light went off. Then yesterday it started running bad again with the check engine light back on. Idle was around 500 RPM in neutral, running real sluggish. Then today it's the opposite, running about 1700 RPM in neutral.

I then find this on the net while researching the P0441 code:
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/caa/toyota.html

My truck falls within the affected vehicles, and I'm just barely under the Evaporative Emissions Warranty that was extended for 15 years and 150K miles. I'm going to go talk to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone have these problems and I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed, I'm guessing Toyota is going to blow me off in the morning, but we'll see. Thanks, Chris...

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow...just so others know what the code means. ;)

I'd be curious if the dealership fixes the problem fer free... :D

Did you try checking the evaporator lines fer restrictions or clogging? ;)

As far as the high idle/sluggish low idle, when was the last time you checked/replaced the PCV valve? How clean is that throttle body? How about the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0441 Issues

Dealership kinda blew me off, but just got off the phone with Toyota...it's in their computer system now....these items are covered under the Emmisions recall that was extended for 14 years....
Evaporative Canister
Evap Pressure Sensor
Filler Neck
Fuel Tank and Cap
Purge Filler
Tank Vapor Vent Line

I have to pay the Service Inspection Fee to Toyota, but was told over the phone that indeed if one of the above problems is indicated then the inspection fee should be refunded/not charged.

Back to the dealer...

I did change out my PCV Valve yesterday, no change there....

Chris...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts