Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1997 t100 6cyl. 2wd
I just got a rebuilt engine . And my check engine light is still on?

I can’t get it smog on it ?
I thought that a rebuilt would fix that problem . Btw I got a rebuild because my head gaskets were blown

·
13,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

Best thing you can do is to git an ODBII scanner and see what the codes are. You'll need to post up the exact codes retrieved. ;)

I picked up a BAFX Products bluetooth adapter from Amazon fer about $25 shipped. It pairs with yer phone/tablet and using a low cost app like OBD Fusion/Torque Pro, you can see what yer vehicle issues are. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thank you , I took back the shop yesterday , and he pulled the code it’s my cluster gauge my cable for the miles isn’t working .... 🤨 on to the next project.

·
13,486 Posts
What was the exact code retrieved? Is yer speedometer actually working? ;)

Part number fer the speedometer cable should be 83710-34070. ;)
83710CABLE ASSY, SPEEDOMETER DRIVE, NO.1
83710-340701$69.47

Online parts dealers have it around $69 plus shipping. ;)

Amazon has it fer about $85. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The code coming up is 0500
So it’s the Speedo , I took the cable off from the trans and turned the inside cable to see if it moved the speedometer of miles, and no go . So I think o need a new cable . This one doesn’t have a elbow piece that goes to the trans . This cable is direct .

·
13,486 Posts
The code coming up is 0500
So it’s the Speedo , I took the cable off from the trans and turned the inside cable to see if it moved the speedometer of miles, and no go . So I think o need a new cable . This one doesn’t have a elbow piece that goes to the trans . This cable is direct .
I believe the test is to use a drill to spin the cable. I'm not sure if you spin it with yer fingers you'll git enough to move the needle. ;)

I believe that only the 4wd transfer case gits that elbow. ;)

Did the speedometer ever work? Was the needle jumping around before it stopped? ;)

There's a chance that the speedometer gear in the transmission might be hosed. Best thing to do is to remove the retaining bolt and take a peek at the plastic gears to make sure they aren't all chewed up or worn down. ;)

33403GGEAR SUB-ASSY, SPEEDOMETER DRIVEN (ATM)
33403-69185N=17, MARK 17:61$31.99

About $23 plus shipping from the online parts dealers. ;)

33404HRING, O (FOR ATM SPEEDOMETER SHAFT SLEEVE)
90301-180041$3.15

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input ,So I’m the 2nd owner I inherited this fine truck ! But yes it used to work until recent , I don’t recall it bouncing around before it stopped working . When I removed the cable from the transmission I also removed the gear and it looked fine . So I’ll try that drill method and go from there . 👍

·
13,486 Posts
Just a quick question...has the instrument cluster been removed or worked on? It's possible that the cable was not locked in place and may have fallen out. It's a tight squeeze and not very many big hands will fit back there. You can use yer camera to snap a few piccies to check with. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sure has been ... I was planning on removing the instrument cluster and double checking that .

I had removed the cluster about a month ago, when my cluster lights went out .. turns out it was the radio shop who wired a aftermarket radio in and wired it incorrectly .

I’ll let you know the out come

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to changing out the Speedo cable PN #83710-34070 . Turns out that was the problem . TY Bam ZIP Pow .
One problem came about , that my drive light on the cluster Panel doesn’t light up .. the other positions are fine it’s just the D doesn’t light up ?

·
13,486 Posts
It's possible the bulb could be burned out. To replace it, check out this thread. ;)

Since you've been back there, you'll need to double check the membrane circuit strip on the instrument cluster or the wiring harness and connector when you plugged the harnesses back in. You can see the blue membrane circuit is the one fer the indicators. The power fer each bulb indicator passes through the NSS (neutral safety switch) located on the right side of the transmission. If there was an issue with the indicators before, the NSS would be suspect and will need to be inspected fer proper operation. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts