Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my local wamarts sells TA-KO's . I don't know the price yet but I'd bet they are the cheapest around.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
BFG AT's /KO's

not really on topic but ok

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lotust said:
BFG AT's /KO's

No not on topic at all, but I was surprised to see that they had them. I figure if one has them all should have them. Since they are a favored tire I wanted to let every one know.

G

·
Any WM that has the Tire and Lube Express will either have, or can order in within a couple days, the BFG AT TA/KO's. Their price is very good usually on them but it is not always the cheapest on those tires for some reason? Almost always if they can get the tire in question they are cheap! What is a very good deal however is the $9.76 p/tire mount & balance + tire protection plan. Excellent value and it includes lifetime free rotation( only problem is WMTLE centers do not make appointments so it is hit or miss on wait time for it ).

The one thing to know when dealing with a WMTLE center is the employees are not always that bright. Once in a while you get someone with some ambition and brains but it is rare. If the tire is not listed as available in their little computer they will tell you it is not available/they don't carry it. That is 100% NOT true.

Under the counter they have a catalog for EVERY single tire mfg they deal with. ANY tire made by that mfg, listed in that catalog, can be ordered. You just have to look it up and call their warehouse to do it. Many of the employees are lazy or just stupid and will try and get out of doing it. Be firm and if needed get the store manager to make them.

Also, many of them will tell you that you can order any tire you want online via the Wal-Mart web site and that if it isn't listed there it isn't available. Also NOT true. The web site( http://www.walmart.com/tires?path=0%3A91083 )does not list all the tires they sell nor does it provide any catalogs to look at besides Continental. The online info is minimal at best and doesn't even have up to date 2005 applications.

Here is a good example of what you actually can do at WMTLE centers. I was after some BF Goodrich tires to help my Sister out with her car. The model I wanted was not listed in their computer. I asked to see the catalog under the counter to look them up. I was told if it wasn't on their system or online they couldn't get them. I persisted but so did they. So, I got the SM and he came out and made them get me the catalog. In 5 minutes 4 were ordered and on the way for $25 LESS p/tire then I could find anywhere else locally( and about the same as with shipping from online sources ). Took 3 days for them to arrive.

Be firm and insist that the catlog be brought out if needed or just make them call the warehouse if it is a brand & model they carry but they tell you the size isn't offered( obviously make sure the size is made before asking for it ).

WMTLE centers can have excellent tire prices but you need to be prepared to fight for what you want. Sorry this went off a little but figured I would pass on my experience to help folks out.

G

·
lotust said:
BFG AT's /KO's

How is that question not on topic? He/she was just asking what the item was the poster mentioned? Not being smart or starting anything but did I miss something? :confused:

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
NH05TACOMA said:
Any WM that has the Tire and Lube Express will either have, or can order in within a couple days, the BFG AT TA/KO's. Their price is very good usually on them but it is not always the cheapest on those tires for some reason? Almost always if they can get the tire in question they are cheap! What is a very good deal however is the $9.76 p/tire mount & balance + tire protection plan. Excellent value and it includes lifetime free rotation( only problem is WMTLE centers do not make appointments so it is hit or miss on wait time for it ).

The one thing to know when dealing with a WMTLE center is the employees are not always that bright. Once in a while you get someone with some ambition and brains but it is rare. If the tire is not listed as available in their little computer they will tell you it is not available/they don't carry it. That is 100% NOT true.

Under the counter they have a catalog for EVERY single tire mfg they deal with. ANY tire made by that mfg, listed in that catalog, can be ordered. You just have to look it up and call their warehouse to do it. Many of the employees are lazy or just stupid and will try and get out of doing it. Be firm and if needed get the store manager to make them.

Also, many of them will tell you that you can order any tire you want online via the Wal-Mart web site and that if it isn't listed there it isn't available. Also NOT true. The web site( http://www.walmart.com/tires?path=0%3A91083 )does not list all the tires they sell nor does it provide any catalogs to look at besides Continental. The online info is minimal at best and doesn't even have up to date 2005 applications.

Here is a good example of what you actually can do at WMTLE centers. I was after some BF Goodrich tires to help my Sister out with her car. The model I wanted was not listed in their computer. I asked to see the catalog under the counter to look them up. I was told if it wasn't on their system or online they couldn't get them. I persisted but so did they. So, I got the SM and he came out and made them get me the catalog. In 5 minutes 4 were ordered and on the way for $25 LESS p/tire then I could find anywhere else locally( and about the same as with shipping from online sources ). Took 3 days for them to arrive.

Be firm and insist that the catlog be brought out if needed or just make them call the warehouse if it is a brand & model they carry but they tell you the size isn't offered( obviously make sure the size is made before asking for it ).

WMTLE centers can have excellent tire prices but you need to be prepared to fight for what you want. Sorry this went off a little but figured I would pass on my experience to help folks out.

First this Thread should have been classified as "On-Topic"
A contribution is on-topic if it is within the bounds of the current discussion(Tires?), article, etc. The term is normally used in the context of mailing lists, discussion groups, bulletin boards, newsgroups, and wikis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-topic
I think it is great that someone I have never met in my life is willing to share how and where they got a product for the best price. I have sent out a set of $1500 carbs to "some guy" in Canada to jet and tune for me. He was going to do it for free, so I sent him money anyways(Wow Im off-topic now whoops:ugh3: ). Anywho just remeber that most people on here want to share their ideas and are usually willing to help the average guy for free!

Also, I totally aagree that you have to be persistant in order to get what you want.
Thanks for the tip (Great Tip)... but how did you know there was a catalog under the counter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have ordered tires from the walmart website for my wifes minivan. BFG traction T/A VR. Go online and pick the tires you want. It will ask you which walmart you want them shipped to (shipping to the store is free). They make you put in your credit card number, but htey dont charge your credit card. When you pick them up you can pay cash, check, or charge. When they came in somebody called my house and left a messege that my tires were in. Went there and had them installed. Pretty much a hassle free experience, but like one of the previous posts said, some of the "tire installers" seems pretty brain dead and it took a while to get them mounted so dont be in a big hurry. I worked at a tire store in college and I can tell you it took them 2 hours to mount and balance them, which is about and hour and 40 minutes to long.......at least where I use to work.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Would you actually trust someone from walmart to install and balance you tires? I wouldn't. You might save some money but I am going to take my truck to someone whose main business is tires. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to tires and pretty much everything else automotive. I have an '06 Tacoma TRD Sport (tires are P265/65R17). Does BFG make a TA/KO that'll fit my wheels without having to modify anything? My buddy had them on his old Tacoma and loved them.

G

·
Nicky9 said:
First this Thread should have been classified as "On-Topic"
A contribution is on-topic if it is within the bounds of the current discussion(Tires?), article, etc. The term is normally used in the context of mailing lists, discussion groups, bulletin boards, newsgroups, and wikis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-topic
I think it is great that someone I have never met in my life is willing to share how and where they got a product for the best price. I have sent out a set of $1500 carbs to "some guy" in Canada to jet and tune for me. He was going to do it for free, so I sent him money anyways(Wow Im off-topic now whoops:ugh3: ). Anywho just remeber that most people on here want to share their ideas and are usually willing to help the average guy for free!

Also, I totally aagree that you have to be persistant in order to get what you want.
Thanks for the tip (Great Tip)... but how did you know there was a catalog under the counter?
A friend used to be the Sporting Goods manager at the local Wal-Mart and he turned me on to the catalogs under the counter say for special order firearms. I asked him one day if he knew if they could do it with tires and he said yes but be prepared to really fight because they don't know how to look stuff up or order most times. Being a former auto parts guy who learned with books( no computers where you just punch info in and it gives you the answer )it was easy for me to look up and order the tires once the SM made them get me the catalog.

G

·
DawgFish said:
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to tires and pretty much everything else automotive. I have an '06 Tacoma TRD Sport (tires are P265/65R17). Does BFG make a TA/KO that'll fit my wheels without having to modify anything? My buddy had them on his old Tacoma and loved them.
BFG Does not offer the AT TA/KO in your tire size of P265/65R17. Actually, BFG only offers them in LT series tires. The closest tire size to yours they offer in the AT TA/KO is LT265/70R17.

Here is how the two sizes compare( stock size 1st / then BFG LT 70 series )...

Sidewall = 6.8" / 7.3"
Radius = 15.3" / 15.8"
Diameter = 30.6" / 31.6"
Revolutions p/mile = 660 / 638

So basically you have 1/2" extra width and 1" inch extra height. They would mount to the rims okay, I am sure, it is more a question of them hitting the chasis on a hard turn. I believe guys have run larger size tires without hitting so I believe you would be fine.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

As another option for you Bridgestone offers the Dueler AT Revo in your stock tire size of P265/65R17. IMO it is a better option for most folks using their trucks as a daily driver. Nothing agains the AT TA/KO either as it is an excellent tire.

The BFG AT TA/KO, IMO, is better for the guy who does a lot of serious off roading but if you mostly do on road with your truck, see some winter weather, and occassionally do off roading the Revo is, IMO, the better choice. They give a more comfortable ride and last longer( 5-10K with proper rotation )as well.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=1055

Prices will be very similar between the two brands/models

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the info NH05TACOMA. I'll check into that. We've been having some pretty nasty weather here in PA the last week. The stock tires held up just fine, but I'm more concerned with a muddy boat ramp at the river than 8 inches of snow. I won't need to worry about that until Spring now anyways, so I have time to investigate. Revos sound like they might be a better option for me. Thanks again!!

G

·
DawgFish said:
Thanks for all the info NH05TACOMA. I'll check into that. We've been having some pretty nasty weather here in PA the last week. The stock tires held up just fine, but I'm more concerned with a muddy boat ramp at the river than 8 inches of snow. I won't need to worry about that until Spring now anyways, so I have time to investigate. Revos sound like they might be a better option for me. Thanks again!!
Actually, the BFG AT TA/KO is better in the "dirt"( ie; sand and mud )then the Revo. The Revo's tread design does not grab the sand as well, nor does it self clean in the mud as well, as the BFG tread does. The Revo was designed primarily for wet on road conditions and snow traction. There it has no real competition and they wear like iron.

If your use would just be muddy boat ramps the Revo's would be fine though and more then adequate. You would be much happier, IMO, with the on road ride and handling, and winter performance of the Revo over the BFG, plus they should last you quite a bit longer( 5-10K ). If you do any kind of regular/serious off road mud running however the BFG would be better for you.

However, again as said, the Revo will handle boat ramps fine! :thumbup: My boat is kept at a farm near my house and to get it I need to drive down back( dirt road ). This fall with all the rain we got it was a nightmare of mud and goo when I would go to grab the boat to go duck hunting. I never once however needed 4WD to get the boat. The Revo's went through it like a tank. Was very impressed.

If I was going to do some serious off roading in the muck though it would be the BFG on my truck. Just FYI so you have as much info as possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts