Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CmyWebsite.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed my neighbors old school tach/dwell meter to set the RPM on my old 22R. it says to hook it to the negitive on the coil but I'm not real sure where that is, here's a pic of my coil, any help would be greatly appreciated !

The green connector on the lower left is empty, I tried hooking into that but it didn't seem to be it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last post is right, that is the one, I used that on an external tach on my old 87 4x4 truck. maybe the connector is bad, cut it off and cut plastic sheathing on both and twist wires together to it see if it works...If it works put a male and femal connetor on...Good luck...

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Under the cover where the plug wire hooks in are 2 terminal, + and -. Unsnap the plastic cover and hook directly to the -.

·
CmyWebsite.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Knowltondata and john4wd. I threw some fresh batteries in the tester and tried that empty connector again, worked great this time.

Here's another pic of the coil with the plastic cover removed, didn't notice any connections on this model, mines a 1981 22R.

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Sorry, my bad. I have an '86 which is different and does have connections under the cover. That is where I hooked up my tach when I swapped from a non-tach cluster to a tach cluster.

·
CmyWebsite.
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries texas12. I'd like to do that tach cluster swap myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts