Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***UPDATED Page 2 w/ pics***

First sorry for posting with out pics!! They will be updated this afternoon. The pics i took last night were bad... wanted to get some good ones to show before and after.
Story goes... the day before yesterday i actually got hit by another cars ice roof that i was sure did damage. it hit me on the right side roof. Got home and no damage... phewww!

Yesterday driving home from Crystal City, VA on the HOV lanes (remembering what happened the day before) I was giving everyone a solid 3-4 car links of distance between myself and other cars especially those with the ice pack on their roofs still! Going about 60-65mph... a Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo traveling in front of me (older model) roof dislodged and went end over end (kind of like the mirrors in Superman 1 or 2 cant remember which) Basically a 2" thick piece of solid ice about the size of a kitchen table came flying at me... I broke hard (Not turning the wheel) hoping to allow the sheet of ice time to hit the ground in front of my taco... it didn’t. The impact actually made the truck lurch backwards causing me to lunge forward to the steering wheel. Luckily I did break or I might not be here to talk about it! The night before the local news ran a report of a lot of accidents caused by this and showed a Honda civic with its windshield completely blown out. The sheet of ice made impact on the driver side portion of the grill and bumper... split my bumper broke through the inner black plastic grill pushed/wedged my liscense plate in the lower grill dislodged my left fog lights (Looks like "Johnny 5's" eye ball after his New York city visit!) and my left headlight swings freely in the wind. Lost the lower molding on the left hand side under the headlight and the left fender is pushed in. There is a noticeable gap between the fender and hood... don’t know if the hood is F#cked... but everything is out of line and pushed in. I question why the airbags didn’t deploy... I guess the impact didn’t get to the sensors. The cost of repairs will be well over my deductible. I am going to try and get my old parts just in case I can salvage the headlights for black em out. Also... the ice pack took out half of my center grill so if the tabs are still there i am half way to a gillcraft... just trying to be positive about this.

Those of you who will ask..."Did you get a plate number" or "Did you get them to pull over"? As I stated above I watched a report on TV explaining the difficulties in proving it was a particular vehicle... unless you have video or a the person admits to guilt... you have no case and it takes longer to get a resolution... I just want my taco back to the way it was MINT. Traveling on 95 especially after winter weather the pull offs are not as wide as usual so I decided to keep going and hope and pray that nothing happed. I was shocked when I finally got to my exit and looked. Oh well I am alive no one is hurt. Now, I really wand an ARB Bumper or maybe a shock works. I don’t have the time or the patience to schedule an appointment with a rep and wait for a check then wait for a bumper... also I don’t now if there is any suspension damage the truck pulls a little to the right now... could be loose fender flares. Dunne... just wanted t post up and again sorry for no pics they will be up this afternoon.

Nicky9

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Glad you're all right.

Lots of vehicles have been getting hit with "ice missiles" in my area. There was a story on the local news about it.

I almost got hit with an ice missile yesterday. It was off of the roof of a semi trailer. It was BIG :eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
That sucks, I had it happen to me a few years ago but the damage wasn't as bad. It was a huge slab of ice that came off the top of an 18-wheeler. I didn't even have time to do anything but close my eyes as it smashed the top of my windshield and roof. The windhsield exploded and little shards of glass went all over my Jeep Grand Cherokee. There were pieces of glass in the very back cargo area. I got the plate number of the trailer, but it did me no good. I had a small dent on my roof but was barely noticeable on the white paint. Got the windshield replaced for free from the insurance company. Just had to do a lot of vacuuming and keep my eyes closed everytime I turned on the defroster for the next month. Tiny pieces of glass were blowing out of that thing forEVER after that.

·
'06 Tacoma D-Cab Off-Road
189 Posts
Good to hear your Okay. I glad to report that the taco did well in the ice blizzard we got hit with in the north east.

On a side note, I was watching the highway shut down I78?? in northern PA on Wenesday Night where almost 50 miles of highway was shut down for over 16 hours with travellers stuck in their cars. A couple of local news vans were stuck and filming coverage. I was was watching NBC's local coverage when 3 4x4's came plowing up the side (one was a pretty stock taco) then I started flipping to another coverage to see the trucks come flying by. It was reassuring to know that if I was in the situation of sitting in sub-freezing temps for 14 hours or driving up snow banks, I would be able to get home.

·
Semper Fi!!
2006 Tacoma 4x4 DC
240 Posts
I used to hate driving in NOVA during the winter. I'm glad I'm down here in sunny Florida now. Sorry to hear about the truck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I can't stand people that don't clear off the roof of their vehicle with snow and ice. I see it all the time here in Colorado.

Scott

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma AC 4X4
190 Posts
First, I'm glad to hear you're OK.
Second, Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your truck.
Third, I don't know if there is, but there should be a law. If somebodys bumper falls off their car or truck, and causes damage to somebody behind them, that person will no doubt be responsible for the damage caused. It's pretty much the same thing. This sort of thing can obviously cause some real damage, and in the worst case, a bad accident.

·
Registered
'07 DoubleCab 4x4
726 Posts
Red Razor said:
First, I'm glad to hear you're OK.
Second, Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your truck.
Third, I don't know if there is, but there should be a law. If somebodys bumper falls off their car or truck, and causes damage to somebody behind them, that person will no doubt be responsible for the damage caused. It's pretty much the same thing. This sort of thing can obviously cause some real damage, and in the worst case, a bad accident.
I would have to agree, it seems like this situation is no different than if someone throws something at you out their window or if nothing else, just does a hit-n-run. You can't always prove that the car did it, but you sure as hell can hold them responsible.

Well, anyways, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I can't imagine having my brand new truck smashed by someone elses lack of common sense.

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
Raskal311 said:
Forecast for Irvine, California
Mostly Sunny
78°F at 12:43 pm
Feels Like 75°F

:D

Whats an ice pack?
U bastard!

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
^^ Sheesh, hockey anyone?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok if that’s your back yard thats dammmm cool but a few hours on the ice vs an entire winter in the snow.... Your not winning me over :D

BTW

About 1.5hr drive to do this

And 15 min drive to do this

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Raskal311 said:
Ok if that’s your back yard thats dammmm cool but a few hours on the ice vs an entire winter in the snow.... Your not winning me over :D

BTW

About 1.5hr drive to do this

And 15 min drive to do this
You forgot the part about 1.5 hours to get to joshua tree. All three events possible on the same day. Gotta Love SoCal

Formerly from Monrovia, Glendora and LaVerne, not quite 15 mins to the beach.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
Adventure North said:
:nana: Yeah but look what we can do that you can't!:D

Very Cool! But I can't imagine your neighbors appreciate night games.

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
There is a law in PA in effect this year. All snow and ice must be cleaned from vehicles before traveling on the road. You can get up to a $1000.00 fine and are responsible for any damage you caused from your Meat Whistles, sorry I meant Ice Missles.

Marc M

1 - 20 of 39 Posts