Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a fan of the Tacoma and plan to get a 4x4 double cab with the TRD off-road package. Currently I own a Corolla and love it. My only real worry is the overall reliability of the Tacoma. Back in the day these trucks were known to be bullet proof. Been doing a little research and have read that the Tacoma's reputation of being super reliable has slipped a bit. Would really appreciate hearing from the board members regarding their personal experience. I know every model vehicle (regardless of make) has it's own issues. But how are the current Tacoma models holding up so far.

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
Ours is holding up very well so far, with about 44K miles on the clock. It's the primary vehicle for my wife & I and gets normal year-round driving and regular maintenance. It's on the second set of tires, and brakes are original. All I have replaced is fluids, filters, and wiper blades. Interior isn't quite as tight as when new, but it's pretty much free of squeaks or rattles.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
Alot of the "my old taco was better" can be attributed to the "they're just not made like they used to anymore" talk. It's a fact, your brain choses to remember the positive experiences over the negative ones. So, some members on here will say "My old tacoma went 300,000 miles without a major repair!" When in actuality they keep forgetting that they had to replace the water pump at every 100K like every other vehicle, and the check engine light flickered every now and again, and the alternator wasn't charging as well as it did when it was new so they were swapping batteries every year. These are just examples, but the bottom line is this. The new trucks haven't been out as long enough to seriously assess their collective reliability. I'm sure when we start seeing 06-10 trucks with 300K+ on them the consensus will be that they're more reliable than the ones that will succeed them.

I've got 56K on mine, basic maintenance all done by me and that's it. Zero repairs.

·
Registered
2008 TRD SPORT
210 Posts
^Those are some good points! Im on my second 05+ tacoma. Never really had issues except for a busted A/C clutch at 36km on my '06. But its all under warranty so no biggie for me.
As far reliability goes, my tech friend at toyota said hes never done any major repairs on second gens. Mostly maintenance which is key to reliability in the first place.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Alot of the "my old taco was better" can be attributed to the "they're just not made like they used to anymore" talk. It's a fact, your brain choses to remember the positive experiences over the negative ones. So, some members on here will say "My old tacoma went 300,000 miles without a major repair!" When in actuality they keep forgetting that they had to replace the water pump at every 100K like every other vehicle, and the check engine light flickered every now and again, and the alternator wasn't charging as well as it did when it was new so they were swapping batteries every year. These are just examples, but the bottom line is this. The new trucks haven't been out as long enough to seriously assess their collective reliability. I'm sure when we start seeing 06-10 trucks with 300K+ on them the consensus will be that they're more reliable than the ones that will succeed them.

I've got 56K on mine, basic maintenance all done by me and that's it. Zero repairs.
LOVE it. Great response. My truck has been great so far. Pull the trigger.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
One of my best friends bought a loaded up 2007 2WD Tacoma in May of 07. 67K later, the only major issue was a transmission that bit it at the 42K mark. I haven't heard of others having the same issue though, so I think his was a random failure. He's very easy on a vehicle. Only other thing that has been replaced (other than maintenance items) was a head unit that stopped working early on. It was replaced under warranty.

All vehicles can have issues. I'd say you are still ahead of average in the reliability game with a Tacoma.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for insight. I was sort of worried especially after all the hoopla recently in the news about Toyota. Of course much of the criticism Toyota got was just people jumping on the "bash Toyota" bandwagon. I attribute a lot of it to jealousy personally. I definitely want Toyota to come back with a vengeance, cause I know they make great vehicles overall.

·
Registered
381 Posts
my 07 has around 30,000 miles. i've only had one problem which was the timing cover oil leak. it was a tsb and i was under warranty, so it was fixed at no cost to me no questions asked. if you pull the trigger on a taco, just keep an eye on tsb's and recalls. its always best to catch them as early as possible.

my main gripe with my truck is the delicate paint.

·
Registered
267 Posts
'05 4x4 Access Cab, 57,000 +/- miles. NO PROBLEMO :thumbsup:. No shop time except for regular maintenance. Go for it.

Live in the country; rough gravel roads and trails, pull trees and stumps, haul rocks, gravel, RR ties, construction stuff, wife (ooops!!), some off-roading, long road trips, no rockclimbing. Best truck I've owned, and have owned a lot.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
136 Posts
taco reliability

i have the 2005 dbl cab pre-runner, 2wd, 6 cyl. has about 70,000km have only had to replace tires. usual maintenance and have alway had it underbody oiled.

you won't regret buying it.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
It's great to see all the positive responses, especially with the "05-07 Toyota Tacoma sucks" thread going on. People just need to take off their rose colored glasses and realize that all trucks will have their issues, and quality just doesn't suddenly drop off over one generation, at least with toyota.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
In my opinion......many (certainly not all) of the issues guys have are due to mods that they have chosen to make.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got an '05 Access Cab 4x4 with 38k. The front shocks were replaced because one had a small leak. I haven't had the timing cover leak, the rear leaf sag, the engine tick, the vibe, the floor mats interfering with the throttle, or any other major issues (knock on wood). I'm on my second set of tires, but haven't had any other major expenses thus far.

This is my fifth Toyota truck. I began with an '88 and have had a '94, a '95 (4Runner), and an '03. Each have had their little "issues," and each has been more complex than its predecessor. The interiors have gotten much more fancy, which I think has contributed to the perception that the quality has gone down. Mechanically, they have also become much more sophisticated, and the 2nd gen trucks--though they are much more complicated--are easier to work on than the previous models when it comes to some general maintenance items. My 2nd gen handles WAY better than any of the previous models. I expected to be pissing blood after driving the '88 for any distance it rode so rough, and until this truck, all the Prerunner and 4x4 models felt tippy in the curves. In comparison, my '05 handles like it's on rails.

I think the internet makes things look much worse than they are. People without problems don't typically post on the web.

You also mentioned getting a TRD Offroad model. I think the TRD Offroad vs. SR5 with limited slip question deserves a thread of its own. The Offroad certainly comes with some nice additions, but from what I've read here the locker is limited in utility without mods. Maybe you'd be better off with the limited slip and just aftermarketing shocks and wheels you would get with the Offroad. It probably depends on what you plan to use the truck for. I'd be interested to see what others with the Offroad think.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
In my opinion......many (certainly not all) of the issues guys have are due to mods that they have chosen to make.

Remember that guy that had a 9 inch lift (Fabtech 6 inch, 3 inch blocks.) and how his transmission kept going out and he SWORE it wasn't because of the lift?

I think he ended up rolling the poor thing on the way home from the stealership...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Remember that guy that had a 9 inch lift (Fabtech 6 inch, 3 inch blocks.) and how his transmission kept going out and he SWORE it wasn't because of the lift?

I think he ended up rolling the poor thing on the way home from the stealership...
:lol: Yep!

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
I disagree.
Nice 20th post. Might try leaving in my entire quote next time "At least with toyota." tagged onto the end of that makes a huge difference. Notice how yours is there in it's entirety along with the lack of opposing argument and examples.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had many toyotas and all have been extremely reliable as is my 2006 TRD o/r, 68,000 miles so far. My experience is that the earlier the model the more over engineered it was, hence the legendary reliability. If you"ve owned at least one you could"nt kill, it's easy to understand why we're members of this cult. Had a minor front ender a few months back and I guess if I had a complaint it would be how little force/impact it takes to rack up a substantial repair bill. In my case I made lemonade out lemons, did the repairs myself, and now have the winch bumper I fantasized about before for the same money. As was stated before, maintainence is key, but all the maintainence in the world will not make a POS a keeper.:cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 05 Tacoma Access Cab (TRD, 4x4) just went over 60,000 and running great. These are the only issues in the 5 years I've owned her:

-Leaky rear shock (they replaced it free)
-Original tires on it were crap, went bald in about 2 years. I replaced them with ProComps and they are awesome.
-It has a whistling noise when driving into a head wind around 60 mph. Dealer re-installed the windshield but it didn't fix it...it's a design flaw. In desperation, I put a thin layer of clear silicon on the top of the windshield and the noise is very minimal now.
-My overhead outdoor temp and direction gauge went out about a year ago. My extended warranty covered replacing it (around $400) but my deductible was $100. That's my only use of the extended warranty.

This summer, we bought a 4,000 pound camper trailer and the Tacoma is great at towing it around. (With a towing package, a V-6 Tacoma can tow 6,500 pounds.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
reliable or what?

Ive had no Problems and ive owned two an 05 and my current 07 it has around 50,000 mi. I sold my 05 around the same mileage. My dad on the other hand has gone threw 5 front end wheel bearings and A/C Pump and has loosened up just about every bolt on his truck. It's an 05 TRD he drives a lot and hunt's a lot as well. He's pissed but thinks it just because he's got an 05 but who knows, he's got 150,000 km's canadian. That many km's would be nothing on an older toyota truck, im not to sure about second Gen drive and find out that's what im doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts