Toyota Nation Forum banner

Taco vs Trooper. Any trooper owners/ex-owners?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TRD Hunter 
#1 ·
Is it a nice and quiet Sunday morning so I felt like washing my trucks. Here are photos of my Tacoma side by side with my wife's 1999 Isuzu Trooper. We have had the Trooper since new and it now has 94,000 miles. It has been an excellent truck, very few problems, never left us stranded. Maintenance has been a little expensive since we want to keep it in top shape with original parts. If my tacoma takes care of me like my Trooper has, I'll be a happy customer. These are very different vehicles. The Trooper is very Japanese like in mechanical and interior feel. The new Tacoma has adopted many features in American cars, like the foot emergency brake, etc... We also noticed the difference in fuel economy. With a tankful in my Tacoma (21 gallons) I can get 420 miles (latest count). With the 4,500-lb. Trooper, I can only get about 200-220 (22-gallon tank, 3.5-liter, 215 HP/230 ft/lb multiport, double overhead cam). My wife says she still prefers the Trooper, and I can't blame her. Its our baby.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. It is almost twice the mileage! But keep in mind, the Trooper is a 4X4. One advantage of the foot brake is that you have more room in between seats for storage space, but I also prefer the hand brake.
Glad you liked them.

#4 ·
LOL...I thought this thread was going to be about the Vid of the taco sliding off the road in a heavy rain and almost hitting a trooper giving a ticket on the side of the road

#6 ·
Count said:
Nice looking trucks, Tigranes. Glad you're getting good mileage out of the Taco. Hope mine comes around and improves.

FWIW, I much prefer the old hand-operated parking brake handle. Don't like this new foot pedal in the least.
The hand brake is in the Manual trans ones and the autos have the foot brake

#7 ·
05XRunner said:
LOL...I thought this thread was going to be about the Vid of the taco sliding off the road in a heavy rain and almost hitting a trooper giving a ticket on the side of the road
:whatthe:

In my Tacoma, the footrest below the footbrake has come loose, the moldings on the rear bumber are loose already, the plastic covers inside the wheel wells are loose and rattling, and one of the soft fabric covers has unsnapped from its plug (or whatever you call it). All that in less than 5,000 miles of mild driving. These issues are very unToyota like and does not compare favorably with my Trooper's build and finish quality. I hope it's not a big deal in the long run...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.