Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying my first truck and could use some wisdom from experienced owners.

I first looked at a Nissan Titan but have decided against it based on reliability concerns. I've been looking at the Tundra for several weeks now and like it a lot.

In this forum, there seems to be *a lot* of Taco owners/buyers. Can someone discuss the pro's/con's of the Taco vs. Tundra? Why does the Taco seem so much more popular especially in this forum?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

·
CARDS RULE
666 Posts
Well for me I just didnt want/need afull size truck. Plus I think the new Taco's are the best loking truck out right now. If you need to tow, the taco will tow as much the tundra. I also liked the interior of the taco muck better. Just a few thoughts. Later ...... Gregg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Both are nice trucks.

With today's gas prices, the more fuel efficient V-6 in the Tacoma was a big plus for me over the Tundra. If you are a frist time truck owner, going from nothing to the Tundra is a big step--the Tundra is a bigger truck...do you really need that much truck?

Can't go wrong either way...Tacoma is a little smaller, better gas mileage, lots and lots of options, some great safety features (side air bags if you can find or chose to pay).

Test drive them both one day...see what you think

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dunno... I still think it is up to what you can afford and like to look at. I hear people compare interior room and safety features until they're blue in the face, but, the fact remains that is the Honda Ridgeline was coated in bubble wrap and 5k less, I would still get the Tacoma because I like the way it looks. I think it is the best looking truck out there, besides a lifted Sierra, but I can't afford one of those. (Don't think I'd pay that for a GMC anyway, but I like the way they look)

·
CARDS RULE
666 Posts
I agree with david, get which ever you like. I got alot of flack from my wifes family for buying a toyota. Several work at Ford here in town, and they are shut down to reduce inventory because there vehicles arent selling. I could have got the A plan, but I wanted a Tacoma.

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
839 Posts
Buy what YOU like.Test drive them both then decide.
I chose the Tacoma because it fits the trails I go on,the V-6 has tons of power &still gets decent gas mileage.I have a friend who has a V-8 Dakota and all he does is bitch about the crappy mileage he gets.
There`s a trailer full of oak hooked up right now ready to go in the morning and when I take off I`ll probably forget it`s even back there.
+ I think it`s the bitchinest truck on the road!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to the dealership to buy a Tundra but drove off with a Tacoma after comparing the two. There are pretty good deals on the Tundras right now but they seemed dated when sitting next to the Taco.

I have owned other Toyota trucks and been very happy (bought one of the first Tacos ever made in '95).

Drive them both, pick the one you like best, and don't look back.

Best of luck and enjoy! You will be happy with either choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try and test drive the Taco this weekend. I'm primarily concerned with interior space for the 2 kids in the back so it'll be interesting to compare.

Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
I drive a lot and enjoy the agility of a mid-sized truck. The gas mileage is good and the power is impressive. I've noticed a lot of Tundra drivers eyeballin' my badass truck, also! Sounds like you may be a candidate for the double-cab, with two kids. Good luck! Either way you win!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 05 DC Tundra 4x4. I'm 6'6" and have two kids. I needed the space for me, the kids and for camping gear in the back. I also want to be able to tow a motorcylce trailer with 3 bikes. It fit everything I wanted and I love the truck. I used to drive an 88 Toyota 2-wheeler pick-up. It's quite a change:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm very biased but I also have to side with the Tacoma. However, everyone has their needs and preferences. I drove them both. I thought that the tundra had a great ride, although it seemed like I was driving a car. It was very smooth and comfortable and quiet, pretty much more quiet than the tacoma. I drove the v8 4 wd and have to say that it does have tons of power. As for the looks, I agree with what someone said above that the Tacoma interior is much, much nicer than the tundra. The tundra interior seems like the interior of something my grandfather would drive, very conservative.

I had a 97 tacoma 4 wd access cab and had to go with that trim again. I have to say that I'm loving it and I agree with others that it's the best looking truck on the road right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ShadowForce, let us know how it goes and what you decide. Don't just drive the Tacoma - take them both off the lot.

The lack of size difference between the new Tacoma and Tundra surprised me.

My last truck was a 2004 Ford XLT FX4 4x4 Supercrew. I thought the Tacoma would seem small but it isn't. Recently drove five of us to Mt Bachelor for a day of skiing. We usually drive a GMC Yukon but everyone commented on how comfortable they were in the truck.

Be willing to walk off the lot to think about it. No matter what they say - If you aren't in a hurry you will get the best deal. It is the end of the month too - they will be hungry to make a deal.

Wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my new Tundra

I was driving a king cab Nissan, it had 210k on it.

I actually planned on putting another 100k on it.

Started a family. Started selling Toyota's.

When the first Tacoma came on to the lot and I drove it, I really wanted one.

However my wife got in the back seat of one and said no way
we need something bigger and I'm so glad we did.

My new Tundra rocks and by the way she bought it for me for my birthday.
OK she didn't buy the whole thing for my birthday, but she did put down the normal inception fees and her credit scored a sweet payment.

They have such a nice lease special on it. It was cheaper to get a 35 thousand
dollar truck then it was to get a 28 thousand dollar truck ... go figure.

Well you know with the Tacoma being such a hot commodity and also being
Motor Trend's Truck of the Year and for good reason.

I really could ramble on about both but I can tell you that when I stomp on that
gas pedal that Tundra lites up. Drive one but be careful you might get hooked ...

I am!!!!!!!:cool:

Pete

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Try out both of them and see what you like. Myself, Id go with the Tacoma, I think its the better buy for the money.
The Tacoma costs less, gets better milage and is ALMOST as big as a Tundra.
Cap'n

·
Registered
146 Posts
I picked the Tundra for the two extra cylinders, virtually the same price after rebates and the rear seat width, head room and legroom are all inches bigger than the Tacoma (2 kids, and I'm tall). Looking at the Toyota website will show you the differeneces. The actual difference in just legroom as listed at toyota.com is 5" less on the Dblcab Tacoma, 3" less in hip room and 2.5" in headroom. Also, it is similar in difference for the front seats. I know at 6'4" with my seat-track back I can still have a friend sit behind me, not so when I tested the Tacoma. I agree with people who say take them off the lot and get some driving with them. I know I had my wife, kid and a friend, that really shows you differences when you start loading a vehicle. Everyone commented on the longer bottom cushion and nice angled seat-back of the Tundra. The only thing the Tacoma has is interior/exterior styling. However, I didn't dig some of the cheaply painted/assembled interior parts, the Tundra seemed better assembled.

When it comes to mpg, the difference is a pittance. It's only 2-3mpg more depending on which websites you believe. In real world driving Motortrend only got about 2mpg better........ I like the looks of the new Tacoma but the reliability of an established model, the rebates, size difference, JD Power rankings, Tacoma paint chipping issues and the Tundra's extra GVWR and max payload ratings help when camping/towing. Have fun shopping and just use us as guides, afterall we are all proud Toyota owners! Please let us know what you buy...:clap: :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The mid-size trucks of today are almost as big as full-size. I had a full-size Silverado for a few years and loved it, but it was just too much truck for me. I have a long commute and only tow, haul, or off-road on the occasional weekend, which is why I went with the Tacoma.

I think their both great trucks, it just depends on your needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
fargnr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing