Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up, i blew the motor in my 06 taco prerunner. and insurance isnt gonna cover it, so i figure it time to move up 4.7!! i was reading up that my 4.0l auto-tranny would bolt right up to the 4.7. what else would i need to coplete this swap? please help need to atleast get started on this within a week. thanks

p.s. any one know a good shop in SO CAL that could help me out with this?

·
Registered
707 Posts
ECU that is compatible with both the engine & tranny, wiring harness so you will remain OBD-II compliant, exhaust, motor mounts, tranny mounts, throttle linkage, wiring diagram, and a buttload more.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Get another 4.0 and turbo or supercharge it. Financially you will be better off and less headaches. Performance wise the 4.7 isn't that great (I had one in a Tundra)....the 5.7 on the other hand :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Get another 4.0 and turbo or supercharge it. Financially you will be better off and less headaches. Performance wise the 4.7 isn't that great (I had one in a Tundra)....the 5.7 on the other hand :thumbsup:
True.
28 more HP with the supercharger,along with 30 more lbs of torque and better MPGs than the 4.7L..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
were can i pick a good motor up for a good price? if going with another 4.0 and supercharging it would be cheaper than going for a 4.7 then thats different. where can i pick a up a good engine for a good price? i am having trouble finding another 4.0 thats not from the stealership.

·
DOMINICAN TACOMA
06 tacoma dc
190 Posts
You might try a salvage yard for an engine. You might try Japanese engine auto exchange?

By the way, how did you blow your engine?

Good luck!:thumbsup:
GOOD QUESTION??????

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
were can i pick a good motor up for a good price? if going with another 4.0 and supercharging it would be cheaper than going for a 4.7 then thats different. where can i pick a up a good engine for a good price? i am having trouble finding another 4.0 thats not from the stealership.
You may want to call this place. http://www.alltoyotatrucksuvparts.com/

'06 Xrunner: http://www.alltoyotatrucksuvparts.com/new-arrivals/080131.html :eek:

Looks like they just got a '06 Xrunner in. It's located in Sacramento but they only salvage Toyota vehicles. I haven't been there for a few years but when I did they were very helpful and honest people to get parts from.

EDIT: I checked there stock and it lists they have 2-4.0l for $2100/each and 4-4.7l for $1950/each

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
long story short, my fujita intake broke while out on the trails and sh*t got in, and bent a rod, poped a piston and screwed up on of the head, even the bore has a scratch on it, any one have advise if im able to repair it maybe, im down to bore it out and throw in new pistons, while im at it mybe some cams, but i cant find anything on that. so here i am looking for a swap,lol. mad bust though. oh sweet thanks for the places up in sacramanto, i might just have to head up there, like a 10hr drive but it would be worth it. toyota wants a little over 9K to fix it, (HAHA) ya right.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma
370 Posts
Whatever you do, while you have the engine out be sure to correct Toyota's weak motor mount - frame linkage by welding in some gussets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts