Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm now the owner of my Dad's 2001 Tacoma TRD, Double Cab, 4wd. ONLY 78,600 miles! It is literally close to perfect!...EXCEPT....the ABS light has been on for quite some time. My local dealership diagnosed that the ABS pump motor is seized/stuck. (Possibly the infrequent use of the truck the last couple of years of my Dad's life?) They said it's NOT the control module, but is the pump motor. They said that part is no longer being made/available. Argh! I've tried EVERY local parts store, searching for maybe a remanufactured one, and Googled the heck out of it. No pump motor anywhere. It's starting to look like a wrecking yard is the only hope, but I'm not ready to go that route...yet. Anybody have a suggestion as to where else I might look? OR...anybody know of a trick/technique for getting that pump motor unstuck?? Dad's truck is such a gem, it's a shame to have that one irritating flaw. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Have the codes read at an AutoZone (FREE) or independent mechanic.
A second look wouldn't hurt anything. Let us know what the codes are.
Is it still drivable? have you tried to as least bleed the brakes and see what happens?
Yes, the truck sitting a while could have affected the pump but not really likely. Best to get the codes and see what's going on.
I can tell you I have repaired countless ABS codes by simply removing electrical connectors, cleaning them up, and reinstalling said connector.

Very nice 01. Love it when people take care of things.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it still drivable? have you tried to as least bleed the brakes and see what happens?
Yes, the truck sitting a while could have affected the pump but not really likely. Best to get the codes and see what's going on.
I can tell you I have repaired countless ABS codes by simply removing electrical connectors, cleaning them up, and reinstalling said connector.

Yes, had an independent mechanic check it. As I recall, he said the code is 51...same code the dealership came up with. Yes, it's still very drivable. Got it up to around 40 mph and almost 'slammed' on the brakes. It stopped very quickly, but I couldn't feel the ABS kicking in. (Or at least, what I'd expect to feel??) Haven't tried bleeding the brakes, (or rather, having someone who knows what they're doing bleed the brakes.) I'll try carefully cleaning the electrical connectors, ('carefully' cleaning them, because I'm not a mechanic, ;o) ). Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes, Dad took VERY good care of it. I have his receipts for EVERY scheduled maintenance. The interior is just as clean as the exterior. He even waxed it twice a year, and used a car cover most of the time. Plus, they lived in southern California...no nasty winter weather. I'd love to keep it forever. But alas, I'm on a fixed (modest) income, and my house desperately needs a new roof. So....:eek:(

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Okay so reading some more on that code it looks like a bad ground has a lot to do with it.

Have someone or yourself unhook the battery, both neg and positive. Clean up the terminals and wires really well with a wire brush and a Baking Soda/ Water mixture.

Unplug the wire connector to the pump and clean it out very well using an electronic terminal cleaner like one from CRC.
Let everything dry for a few hours and then replace the ABS pump wire harness and then the battery connectors. See if that helps any.

Too bad you are not in Southern Cal anymore. I could help you a bit with this.

Font Advertising Metal Bottle Auto part

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so reading some more on that code it looks like a bad ground has a lot to do with it.

Have someone or yourself unhook the battery, both neg and positive. Clean up the terminals and wires really well with a wire brush and a Baking Soda/ Water mixture.

Unplug the wire connector to the pump and clean it out very well using an electronic terminal cleaner like one from CRC.
Let everything dry for a few hours and then replace the ABS pump wire harness and then the battery connectors. See if that helps any.

Too bad you are not in Southern Cal anymore. I could help you a bit with this.

View attachment 351218
From what I recall the dealership service tech telling me, they checked all of the electrical connections...on their way to determining the pump was stuck. But I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I recall the dealership service tech telling me, they checked all of the electrical connections...on their way to determining the pump was stuck. But I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks.
Tried your electronic cleaner and battery terminal suggestion. Nope, no change. :eek:( But thanks for trying. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.