Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ive got a 2012 Tacoma base with 40000 miles on it I bought the truck new and this will be the first set of tires for it. truck came with 215/70/15 and I want to put 235/70/15 white letter cooper tires on it,can I go up the 2 sizes without any rubs,thamks

·
My Other Truck
3,830 Posts
Welcome to TN, Ernie.

Looking at various tires on TireRack, the 235s are just a hair more than 1" taller than the 215s. So yeah, there will be plenty of room without rubbing.
It's the same basic sheetmetal as my 2005 TRD OffRoad. I went from stock 265/70-16 up to 265/75-16 (right at 1" taller) with no rubbing.

·
My Other Truck
3,830 Posts
There are lot of good places. You can also check discounttires or any local shop as well for the tires.
Yep, I have bought from TireRack in the past, but lately I use their website mostly for research. America's Tire (aka DiscountTire) is my retail store of choice. They will match any bona fide offer as long as it's apples-to-apples, meaning total out-the-door cost. Their service has been unbeatable, too.
Oh BTW, Welcome to TN!

·
TexasJiminSTX
2005 Tacoma 2WD
205 Posts
Yep, I have bought from TireRack in the past, but lately I use their website mostly for research. America's Tire (aka DiscountTire) is my retail store of choice. They will match any bona fide offer as long as it's apples-to-apples, meaning total out-the-door cost. Their service has been unbeatable, too.
Oh BTW, Welcome to TN!
ernie57: The "puniest" part of the base tire/wheel scenario are the wheels. Skinny wheels with no offset. I put 235/75-15's on mine, but I mounted them on 7" wide 2002 Mustang alloy rims. Decent offset, wider stance, and much better ride and stability. Not to mention way better appearance. 235/70's on those stock wheels won't change much, but the looks. TexasJim

·
Registered
452 Posts
The thing is when you start messing with the offset on youre wheels youre setting youreself up for future wheel bearing issues.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
TexasJiminSTX
2005 Tacoma 2WD
205 Posts
Well yeah, and bump steer too. It's best to stick fairly close to stock specs to avoid problems.
Well, if you don't get crazy with the sizes and offset, it's not a problem. I've had them on for 12 years with no problems. The larger tires have 8% more circumference, so the speedo/odometer are slightly off, maybe 2mph at 70. TexasJim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a lot to think about I appreciate all of the members help,i think im going to keep the ugly steel rims and put the 235/70/15 on,either the Goodyear wrangler or cooper raised white letter,ill take a before and after picture and post. thank ya^ll a bunch.

·
My Other Truck
3,830 Posts
You didn't say exactly which Coopers you are considering. Just FYI, we had Cooper Discoverer ATRs on our Tacoma and found them to be less than satisfactory in just a few inches of snow. Not a bad tire really, they were smooth & comfortable, but they wore out too quickly. I only got 18K miles out of them. They still had usable tread (5/32") but not enough to go through another winter.

·
Registered
14 Tacoma
201 Posts
hello ive got a 2012 Tacoma base with 40000 miles on it I bought the truck new and this will be the first set of tires for it. truck came with 215/70/15 and I want to put 235/70/15 white letter cooper tires on it,can I go up the 2 sizes without any rubs,thamks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts