Toyota Nation Forum banner

741 - 752 of 752 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
Yeah, it impacted me at .85. That’s how I got so good at changing the height on the 5100s! Went with 1.75, then .85...then after the front diff replacement, back to 1.75. Made it about 25K miles before that bearing got noisy and I replaced it with help. That bearing lasted over 100K miles and then just put in the bushing last month.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
Happy Birthday! (As said by Frosty) Yep, the Moose is 14 years old today...at least from when I drove it off the lot. :wink: I think it feels neglected not getting driven every day anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bakflip cover for 2015 tacoma

I have order one and its on hold till I find out if the tailgate will open and close without lifting top
Also I would like to know if anybody has made tie downs and bolted them to the screws on the rail.
I was thinking about putting some alum with hole for bolt and hole for tiedown hook .
Would like some advice . I am calling service to get there take.

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
The Tacoma has been cranking a bit more slowly so I checked the battery this morning. 12.24 volts, possibly due to cooler weather and nothing but short trips lately around town. No long highway driving to give the battery time to fully recharge. I put the charger on and we'll see what happens.

The original battery lasted 9 years, not too bad. I replaced it with an 84-month NAPA battery which is 4 1/2 years old now. Hoping to get a few more out of it!

Hey Jim, since the Moose isn't being driven every day now, what's your new DD?

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
2019 Subrau Crosstrek (Limited). First time I ever bought a top package. All our other new vehicles were always the base model except for the SR5 Moose. Wanted something with better MPGs to take me to retirement in 7-8 years. And I don’t plan to purchase another truck for a very long time. I’ve got 1600 miles on it already and am loving it. Fun to drive and quite comfortable. 8.7 inches of ground clearance (stock taco is 9.4). Already drove it in the snow and it did great. Love the adaptive cruise control and steering responsive LED headlights (they move to point around corners so no hidden surprises in the dark).

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
2019 Subrau Crosstrek (Limited). First time I ever bought a top package. All our other new vehicles were always the base model except for the SR5 Moose. Wanted something with better MPGs to take me to retirement in 7-8 years. And I don’t plan to purchase another truck for a very long time. I’ve got 1600 miles on it already and am loving it. Fun to drive and quite comfortable. 8.7 inches of ground clearance (stock taco is 9.4). Already drove it in the snow and it did great. Love the adaptive cruise control and steering responsive LED headlights (they move to point around corners so no hidden surprises in the dark).
:thumbsup: Congrats on the new ride! Should have far better comfort than a Tacoma can manage, plus as you say much improved fuel mileage.

How do you like the CVT? They are sometimes panned in magazine tests (I've never driven one so :dunno:). If it offers 'stepped' shifts that simulate a typical auto box, I would think it should be no problem.

Also gotta ask about the LED headlamps (pivoting is a great feature :thumbsup:) -- how's the light output? There are so many different headlamp types on vehicles, some that look bright but don't light up the road as well as you'd expect..... Just curious what you think of Subaru's lamps?

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
:thumbsup: Congrats on the new ride! Should have far better comfort than a Tacoma can manage, plus as you say much improved fuel mileage.

How do you like the CVT? They are sometimes panned in magazine tests (I've never driven one so :dunno:). If it offers 'stepped' shifts that simulate a typical auto box, I would think it should be no problem.

Also gotta ask about the LED headlamps (pivoting is a great feature :thumbsup:) -- how's the light output? There are so many different headlamp types on vehicles, some that look bright but don't light up the road as well as you'd expect..... Just curious what you think of Subaru's lamps?

Way more comfortable. Power seat adjustment & heated seats, and I got the leather. Never been one to like leather but I did not like the manual seat adjuster on the fabric. Like Toyota, you have no options except trim: Base and Premium get fabric and manual seat, Limited got leather with power seat. After driving my daughter’s 1st gen highlander with leather each summer when we carpooled, I got used to it.

Having had no experience with a CVT before this and having only heard about them feeling different (but have read up on their operation in the past), feels fine to me. It has a fake 7 speed. Honestly, I think it would be smoother without the fake shifts. Regardless, step on the accelerator and RPMs go up. Certainly not smooth by any definition, but might be smoother without the shifts. It is surprising leaving a stop light. A little gas and it feels like it has low end torque that it accelerated fast. All imaginary but trying to explain the acceleration. Last time I drove a vehicle with a smooth trans was a ‘95 Ford Contour Se. car magazines touted that trans as being smooth like German transmissions. Never drove a smoother one before or after. We’ll see on longevity since it uses a steel chain instead of a belt since belts are the weak points in them.

As for the headlights, their LED are brighter than the Taco. No issues in snow, rain, or fog (had all already). I hear their halogen lights get bad reviews, but the LED are good reviews.

When I joined another forum in Aug to research, one member there recognized me. I remembered him from here once he told me his TN username. I remember him selling his HL a while back. Crosstreks are pretty reliable except for the head units (like Toyota complaints) with a software issue where they lost station presets. Not concerned with everything under warranty. Apple CarPlay for those with texting is neat. All audible. No more hearing my phone buzz while driving and hoping it wasn’t important until I got to my destination.

Keyless entry and push button start took a bit of getting used to too. I like having just a key fob that never leaves my pocket (lock/unlock touching the door handle). No more big key. They have a key inside it in case of power failure. Basically most of the bells and whistles are on it. My wife’s loving the heated seats since her back always hurts from her arthritis.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Was looking up other forums that autoguide owns to see if they had any other 4Runner forums, and I was surprised to see they also own custom tacos and TTORA. That was a surprise to me.

741 - 752 of 752 Posts