Toyota Nation Forum banner

761 - 779 of 779 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
Just the hood. I popped it yesterday to check. Just got internet/phone/TV restored. Posted above via LTE when I could get a signal. Glad I installed that generac a couple years ago. Lost power Saturday night, on again for half of Sunday then out since Sunday night. We too got about 3 ft. Another 3” last night. Actually just stopped snowing a few minutes ago. So many power lines down that they’re estimating another 3-5 days for our subdivision to be completely on again. We’re supposed to get an update text at 6 pm tonight.

PG&E finished tree removal on our property the day before the storm hit. In about 6 weeks, we’ll be getting new insulated power lines and with that comes new bigger, taller, stronger poles. Take a look at the difference below. It’s in process up the street. New poles make the old ones look like toothpicks!

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
Here’s the live action show. Ignore the neighbor running in the background (steep driving so run to keep from slipping on the ice). You’ll see me pause and look toward the back of the truck when I hear the crack. When the snow fell, I realized it was above me.

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
:eek: That was a bit too close for comfort! Could have given you a real nasty headache... or worse.

I hear you on the Generac. We got ours up & running early this year. Only needed it once so far for a planned 2-hour maintenance outage in the middle of the night. I'm sure yours get more of a workout than ours. Nice knowing it's there, though. Peace of mind.

That new pole looks like a monster! For good reason I bet, the new insulated lines are probably considerably heavier than the old bare ones. Also a larger diameter so they'll build up more weight from more snow & ice.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #764 (Edited)
Flushed brake fluid today.
Last time I used a syringe to empty the reservoir. Except it didn’t work for the front chamber. This time, I siphoned using fish tank pump tubing. Got it into the front chamber all the way to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Truck is in the shop getting a new hood and fixing the things that were dinged up from it. Considering selling the Moose. It just sits so much now that it’s not my DD.

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
It would be almost a shame to see it go, after so many years and so much history. But I do understand -- we have always had two vehicles, and at times we'd pick up a third. Guaranteed that out of three, there would always be one just sitting unused. Right now my old Chevy is still in the body shop, and with both of us retired, as much as I love it (bought it in 1977), I barely miss it anymore.

Well, please let us know the final chapter. We always hear about how well these trucks hold their resale value. Yours has some years and some miles but is probably better cared for than most.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
Yeah, it still looks brand new inside. We take very good care of our vehicles. I’d miss snow wheeling, but I haven’t gone in several years. With a bad back, it pains me to ride in it which was part of the reason for getting my Crosstrek. I’d miss just throwing things in the back like wood but I’d just learn to take our small trailer instead. That just leaves the main necessity of getting out of here when there’s 1.5-3 feet of snow on the ground. Doctors appointments (like my wife’s infusions) are the big risks on those days if the perfect storm were to happen. If I bought a set of BFG TA KO for the Crosstrek, might not be too much of an issue. Many run those tires on them for off-road.

Also considering a RAV4 Hybrid for my wife. Could also get a 2nd set of wheels/tires for it. Could alwaysswap them out if a doctor appointment was at the same time as a major dumping of snow.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Got the truck back a couple weeks ago. Got a whole new top too. Interesting rear sliding window latch is a bigger design where it can’t be popped from the outside. Truck looks new outside again. Only thing that was delayed were replacement headlights. The branch broke off the mounting tab on the passenger headlight and caused condensation inside. Since they don’t have the same aftermarket brand available, they ordered two new ones but they were delayed in shipping. Supposed to go back for a couple hours this week for them to install them.

I had to go pick up my leftover pellets for the stove (business owner is retiring and shutting down), and went to start it this morning with a dead battery.Was down to 9V. I was shocked how many years I got out of this battery. They usually make it 3-4 years, but this one went 64 months! Replaced it with the same kind (Super Start Premium from O’Reilly).

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
I was shocked how many years I got out of this battery. They usually make it 3-4 years, but this one went 64 months!
Nice to have the Moose back, isn't it?
Your harsher climate must be tough on batteries.
Our original lasted close to nine years, and the NAPA replacement has six years and counting.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
I’ve only had one other battery make it to 5 years and that was a ‘91 Protege. So it’s been almost 20 years. That was when we lived in Folsom. Much more consistent climate unlike here where it ranges from teens/twenties in winter to 100s parked at the park n ride down the hill.

·
Premium Member
2008 Sienna LE
982 Posts
Got the truck back a couple weeks ago. Got a whole new top too. Interesting rear sliding window latch is a bigger design where it can’t be popped from the outside. Truck looks new outside again. Only thing that was delayed were replacement headlights. The branch broke off the mounting tab on the passenger headlight and caused condensation inside. Since they don’t have the same aftermarket brand available, they ordered two new ones but they were delayed in shipping. Supposed to go back for a couple hours this week for them to install them.

I had to go pick up my leftover pellets for the stove (business owner is retiring and shutting down), and went to start it this morning with a dead battery.Was down to 9V. I was shocked how many years I got out of this battery. They usually make it 3-4 years, but this one went 64 months! Replaced it with the same kind (Super Start Premium from O’Reilly).
Can you post a picture of the rear window latch? Mine was replaced back in January. I had the truck in the body shop to have rear end collision damage repaired - a new rear bumper and brackets, driver's side panel, a minor dent in the back of the cab just below the rear window on the driver's side (the top corner of the bed hit the cab).

The rear window developed a leak along the top on the driver's side after the accident, and water would drip off the edge at the headliner whenever it rained.

The glass had been removed and reinstalled a couple of years before so that some hail damage on the roof could be fixed (paintless dent repair). When the body shop removed the glass this time, they found it had so much sealer holding it in that they couldn't get it out without breaking it. So I got a new Toyota sliding rear window. I hadn't really paid close attention to the latch, since I rarely ever open it. I'd like to see if mine looks like yours.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Can you post a picture of the rear window latch? Mine was replaced back in January. I had the truck in the body shop to have rear end collision damage repaired - a new rear bumper and brackets, driver's side panel, a minor dent in the back of the cab just below the rear window on the driver's side (the top corner of the bed hit the cab).
Big plastic latch where you press down on the left to lift it on the right. Sliding glass overlaps the driver’s side glass by at least a half inch when closed. Pics below.

·
Registered
02 sr5 prerunner Tacoma
4 Posts
Hi all,I’m new to this forum and can’t find a classified (sale) thread so far so
I’m looking to sell a few things...I’m in the Tampa Bay area “Seminole” Florida. I have a 1st gen Tacoma or Tundra skid plate $100 obo and a thrush glass pack new in box $50 obo and a Red tri ball hitch with cleavis in very good condition for $280 obo. If anyone knows what thread I should post these on let me know thanks.
9C369202-1A9C-4E09-93EC-A4AD39149239.jpeg

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
Got the leaf spring recall done today. Since they have to remove all aftermarket parts, I have to decide if I want to reinstall my Timbrens.

And with the 5100s in the front set to 1.75, it sits so close to level that I don’t know if I should lower it to .85. Doing so is more work (with my bad back) and would cost another wheel alignment. For now, going to see what I think next time I take it up to the mountains.

I’m now past the 30 days since it was painted, so time to wax it. I let the dealership wash it and squeezed the truck into the garage again. I think Sunday will be wax day.

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
Curious to see what you think of the new leaf springs after you've had more time to form opinions. I have ignored the recalls so far, and was just beginning to consider having it done when Covid-19 made its appearance. Since then we have only gone into town 3 or 4 times for medical appointments.

761 - 779 of 779 Posts