Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 752 Posts

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
738 Posts
Love the idea of smearing bacon grease on your buddy to keep bears away from you! :rofl2:
A good, stout stick works the same way. Not to hit the bear with 'cause thats cruel, just hit your buddy in the knee so you can outrun him!:rofl2:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ahahah, guy must have been real used to and comfortable with bears to let him get that close, then just talking to him.

We don't have any urban bears in los angeles. I would have been shitting my pants and making alot more noise then that as soon as I realized that bear is climbing my ladder!

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
Ahahah, guy must have been real used to and comfortable with bears to let him get that close, then just talking to him.
Nail on the head! He was incredibly calm. Wouldn't try that around a brown or grizzly, but black bears (aside from obviously being curious) are shy and generally not aggressive, and will try to avoid people. Just don't get between a mama & her cubs.

I once had a smallish black bear walking towards me on a narrow trail. I stepped off to the side and it got pretty close and never knew I was there until I stepped back onto the trail and said "Hey!". That poor bear nearly turned inside out spinning around and ran back down the trail. :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
He was a hunter, so I'm assuming he had hunting gear (gun) so that might have helped keep him calm too I guess.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
^ Could be, but he's probably just experienced with young black bears. They're a pain to get pictures of because they're so afraid of people that they run upon contact with them. We did the "trail" experience once with a bear too but he was on a log about 50 feet off the trail. Couldn't get any closeup pics because he ran away too fast. We knew he was around because of the fresh scat on the trail.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Lookin for a new (used) 250f. What do you guys like. Crf, yz, rm, kx, ktm. Also any of u guys got pics of a 250 in the back of a double cab short bed?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I am a Yamaha guy myself.

Could be, but I have seen hunters -- maybe not as experienced -- get near-panicky at the prospect of shooting a bear, even with the bear up a tree. :disappoin
That isn't hunting IMO.

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
That isn't hunting IMO.
That could be a topic for a whole new thread.

A similar argument could be made for using tree stands.... that's not hunting, it's an ambush. Arguments can also be made against the use of bait, even where it's legal to do so.

Maybe the only true hunting involves tracking and stalking. The playing field is somewhat more level, and more skill is required of the hunter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Um, yeah, so what have I missed ? All this talk about bears... WTF ????
As long as a bear doesn't eat me, I'm good.

I finally got an oil change on my truck and the mechanic left the empty bottle of
oil under the hood. :wtf: I thought my whole engine was going to explode.Either that, or
I was going to explode on him ... Sighs...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I finally got an oil change on my truck and the mechanic left the empty bottle of
oil under the hood. :wtf: I thought my whole engine was going to explode.Either that, or
I was going to explode on him ... Sighs...
Same thing happened to me. I got a new belt out of it at 60K miles. What a mess it made.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh, hell . I didn't even THINK about checking the belt. WHERE is my mind ? In my defense, I
had 2 very over hyped kids dying to go to Hurricane Harbor. UGH !! I'm gonna go pop my hood in 100 degree weather now . Oh, the joys ...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh, hell . I didn't even THINK about checking the belt. WHERE is my mind ? In my defense, I
had 2 very over hyped kids dying to go to Hurricane Harbor. UGH !! I'm gonna go pop my hood in 100 degree weather now . Oh, the joys ...:rolleyes:
My belt was ok yours probably is too. The service advisor misunderstood me when I said the belt chewed a hole in the bottle - he thought I said the belt got chewed by the bottle. So they put a new belt on because of the misheard - complaint.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Also got into a bit of a pickle on a slope today. That would be about 2 inches from tree to fender. Any forward or reverse movement caused me to continue to slide further downhill into the tree. Took a couple hours and felled the tree, but made it out under own power! Oh, and no damage to my truck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Went ahead and stickied the thread.

Also got into a bit of a pickle on a slope today. That would be about 2 inches from tree to fender. Any forward or reverse movement caused me to continue to slide further downhill into the tree. Took a couple hours and felled the tree, but made it out under own power! Oh, and no damage to my truck!
That requires several beers/beverages to calm the nerves. And well deserved for all the work required. Good job not kissing any trees.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
That's pretty impressive... one wrong move dropping that tree, and the truck could have taken a serious hit. :thumbsup:
I'm an expert at that with all the firewood cutting we do. Because I know trees can kick out on the opposite side, no way was I going to cut it at the ground and risk it going into the fender. So took it off above the bed first, then cut the bottom (and was able to push a lot of the bottom over since the tree was rotted). This video gives you an idea of the slope, which the picture above really doesn't do it justice. Had a hard time getting in a position to cut the tree where I wouldn't fall out of the bed.

61 - 80 of 752 Posts