Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 757 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
We were going to pull the back end away via cable and pulley using a big tree, but the nearest store that would have that kind of recovery gear was an hour's drive. While my wife keeps saying no, I keep saying I need a Wench and Recovery Beer. :)

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
While my wife keeps saying no, I keep saying I need a Wench and Recovery Beer. :)
A winch might be more usefull, unless she's the strong type.:clap: And a winch will be cheaper in the long run.:D Nice work getting out of there unscathed. Did you think of laying a log on the ground across the two trees as a curb or rub rail? Assuming you didn't slide all that way sideways in one shot, of course.

·
Registered
11Lex IS250, 08Taco
67 Posts
I think it would have been easier to just cut down the tree. If that would have been me, I would have called AAA to get me out...

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
You might want to ready your AAA paperwork more closely. They typically DO NOT cover offroad recoveries. And they can get pricey! Most tow companies bill a premium rate (based on mileage) from the time their tires leave pavement until they drive back onto it.

·
Registered
11Lex IS250, 08Taco
67 Posts
I don't even have AAA. What I meant was, I would probably call someone that did have AAA and just use their card.Hell, not that long ago, I couldn't back out of my driveway, and at that time, I think I did have AAA. I called them because I was "stuck" .They just laughed at me and said they couldn't get out to my location for at least an hour.It took me 30 minutes to get myself " un stuck."

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Tow truck companies where we have our cabin charge $150 minimum and that is on county roads up there. If the come after you on one the trails in the area, the minimum is $375.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I think it would have been easier to just cut down the tree. If that would have been me, I would have called AAA to get me out...
I did cut the tree down because that was the easiest.:D Tree was dead and they wanted it down anyway. But I was in our subdivision and on a friend's "lot" which backs up to even more property and our subdivision's greenbelt (our backyard backs up to the greenbelt too). Tow company is within 2 miles from our houses, and I was only 40 feet off the back end of their paved driveway. In the end, we got me unstuck ourselves.

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
2008 Tundra
738 Posts
I did cut the tree down because that was the easiest.:D Tree was dead and they wanted it down anyway. But I was in our subdivision and on a friend's "lot" which backs up to even more property and our subdivision's greenbelt (our backyard backs up to the greenbelt too). Tow company is within 2 miles from our houses, and I was only 40 feet off the back end of their paved driveway. In the end, we got me unstuck ourselves.
So recovery beer really wasn't far away, or the the fridge to keep it cold until needed. Did you get the firewood outa the deal?

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
We're starting to bring the wood down tomorrow. They had a dozen large trees felled and we cut the rounds. Probably about 6 cords of wood. Since my truck isn't an option and it's too steep to get a log splitter up there with his Quad, we're going to load it in the Quad's trailer and bring it down the hill. From there it goes into my truck for a 3 minute drive to my house. We get all the wood because they only have a pellet stove.

BTW, caught the bear red-handed with our trash tonight. Ammonia in the trash isn't enough of a deterrent. I'll have to put it around the can instead and see if that works. I'll know in the morning whether I got video of him. I have to say though that he is HUGE! I was about 45 feet away when I peeked out the front door and there he was.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Caught him on camera in the backyard after I scared him from the garbage can in the front yard (didn't seem to mind me turning on all the floodlights either). Check out the size of his rear feet when he turns.
http://youtu.be/VfplRQWB2SQ

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Awesome! Presumably you have bear-proof cans? Otherwise we can count on some more good pics :clap:

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Awesome! Presumably you have bear-proof cans? Otherwise we can count on some more good pics :clap:
No, they have regular cans where the trucks pick them up with the mechanical arms. I think ammonia will be a short term fix. I don't have room in the garage for the can, so still thinking of solutions. I did see one online of using tie down straps over the lid. I might try that tonight.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looking forward to the pics then ;). Unless California bears are not as smart as Colorado bears (doubtful), I suspect you can count on more visits. This time of year they are on a feeding frenzy getting ready for winter.

We were recently at a cousin's condo at Tahoe. The complex has bear-proof dumpsters, which I might add after taking out the trash, are pretty people-proof. I was wondering how the trash haulers could open them and dump easily.

·
My Other Truck
3,805 Posts
Nice footage -- hope to see more soon! :D

Good luck with the tie-downs. Success might depend on what's inside the can, and how good it smells.

Mrs. Splicer says it's a female because of the flappy belly skin. Uh, I'm not gonna comment.... ;)

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hauled about 2 cords of wood today. Getting it off the hill using the Quad worked well and went fast. I've always said my truck gets used like a truck should. Don't let that tonneau fool you. Here's what it frequently looks like in the summer.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
That is some awesome footage Jim! However, I would not want to run into her during a late night trash run!
Yeah, that's my biggest concern. I did find that the can fits between our vehicles at the garage door. Have to pull it in each night them move it outside before pulling out of the garage. When I did that, all the neighbors' cans were overturned. LOL

With winter coming and it getting darker earlier, I'm going to swap out the flood lights over the cans with a motion sensor flood. That way we shouldn't accidentally come face to face. I'm hoping she actually hibernates. A lot of them in Tahoe don't hibernate because they have food available (trash) year round. If they don't hibernate, I could find them in the trash before I get home in the winter. One neighbor used a tie down strap which worked last night, so I may give that a try too.

81 - 100 of 757 Posts