Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 752 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's what I used to get at Kragen. But when O'Reilly took over, they stopped carrying it. Tried their stuff but it didn't work from the start. Tried stuff from Napa and worked for just over 10k miles. So yeah, back to that stuff. $11.94 with shipping on Amazon. Don't waste your time on anything else!
I just found Equa-Torque locally. It's at Pep Boys for 6.99. I'm picking up a tube on my way home from work.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Cool, thanks. I can always drive to Rancho Cordova on one of my trips to Folsom when it's time to change it again. I also haven't checked Autozone which is in P'ville. I should have done that since I was just in there getting the gear oil!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
3 quarts of Walmart 80w-90 dino and one tube of Equa-torque and it's now smooth as butter. Also cleaned out the diff breather and aired up the spare while I was down there.

·
My Other Truck
3,779 Posts
Changed the oil yesterday, realized it was time to rotate the tires so I did that too. It's been 6K since the Michelin LTX A/T2s were installed with 14/32" tread. Measured 12/32" near the edges and about 13/32" in the center -- all four tires were the same. Bumped them from 32psi to 35, hopefully the wear will begin to even out. Kinda soon to tell, but at this rate I probably won't get more than about 40K miles from them. That's probably low for Michelins, but most of my driving involves cornering :D and much of that is on very abrasive chip-sealed roads.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Changed the oil yesterday, realized it was time to rotate the tires so I did that too. It's been 6K since the Michelin LTX A/T2s were installed with 14/32" tread. Measured 12/32" near the edges and about 13/32" in the center -- all four tires were the same. Bumped them from 32psi to 35, hopefully the wear will begin to even out. Kinda soon to tell, but at this rate I probably won't get more than about 40K miles from them. That's probably low for Michelins, but most of my driving involves cornering :D and much of that is on very abrasive chip-sealed roads.
You realize the outer "base" is a little higher than the center, right? So it will naturally give you a lower reading on the outside tread. I've got 37K miles on mine already and have 8/32nds remaining.:eek:hyeah:

·
My Other Truck
3,779 Posts
You realize the outer "base" is a little higher than the center, right? So it will naturally give you a lower reading on the outside tread.
Yup.... I shouldn't have said "near the edges". My outer measurements are taken between the center tread blocks and the outermost blocks. The depth between the two center rows is about 1/32" greater. When new, I read 14/32" at all three areas.

You're getting pretty good mileage from yours! I'd guess they'll be replaced before they hit the 2/32" legal minimum -- especially if winter's getting close.

Still thinking about Duratracs for your next set?

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
This will be the last winter on them. Minimum tread depth for snow is 6/32nds, so I'm just squeaking by this year!

Yeah, still planning on trying the Duratracs next year in the higher profile (265/75 Load Range C). I'm guessing they'll do even better than these in the snow, but we'll see if that's really true or not next year. Right now, they're about $14 per tire less than the Michelin's, so that'll save me a little money (and guys are still getting about 60K miles out of them).

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I sure am enjoying reading everyone's posts in Clark's free grill giveaway thread. Interesting to hear when people got their first Toyota.

Seems like we're having an influx of new Tacoma owners again (some new, some used). I guess there must be something worthwhile to refreshing a model midstream.

And before you ask (if you're observant...I know Splicer is :thumbsup:), it happened Tuesday.:D

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
738 Posts
I noticed some bright blue lettering, I think it was on tuesday now that I think about it. Congrats Moose, though now I gotta ask. Whats the difference? You seemed like a super guy before, did they just catch on now? :dunno::cool:

I don't think you'll be anything but pleased with duratracs BTW, still loving mine after 2yrs and about 25,000Km. I haven't measure tread depth, but still looking close to new.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
More rights throughout the forums basically (I won't go into the details). Anyway, they needed a replacement for someone unable to do it any longer and I met the criteria.

I will say that I didn't just jump at the chance (nor did I when I was approached about being a Moderator). I wanted to understand what the expectations were of the person in that position and make sure I could live up to those expectations (as much as possible).

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Here's a tip for everyone on removing sap: Olive Oil. How can I be this old and not known that! I used to hate getting sap on me, but now it comes right off. Haven't tried it yet on the vehicles, but I'm sure it'll work just as well.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Yeah, I've use goo gone (doesn't work too well) and gasoline (still a struggle but works in the end). On the hands, I've used nail polish remover which always worked best. But it was still a struggle. A friend who's a teacher told us about the olive oil. It seems to completely dissolve the sap. I've used it three times now and it's amazing. Like removing dirt with soap.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
In case any of you love chrome and want to trade yours in for the new Limited package, here's a pic.

On a different note, they had a White DC LB identical to mine (had towing package, etc). Sticker price was $4k more than what I paid for mine back on Dec 3, 2004.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
For sap on upholstry and cloth that you don't want oily, etc, chlorinated brake clean is awesome. Just leave it to dry for at least 12 hours before sitting on it / wearing it. And keep it off plastics, some don't get along well.

http://www.gunk.com/products/cat_det.asp
I've used brake clean to remove grease out of upholstery with success as well.

·
Wishin' I was Fishin'
738 Posts
I've used brake clean to remove grease out of upholstery with success as well.
Many times here as well. Thats how I learned not to sit on the stuff afterward, was stuck in traffic singing johnny cash's "ring of fire":eek:

121 - 140 of 752 Posts
About this Discussion
751 Replies
51 Participants
05Moose
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing