Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 757 Posts

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
213 Posts
Taking a citizen's awareness program with my local sheriff's department and went to their driving training track where we not only rode through the course and did multiple maneuvers with a police driving instructor at the wheel, we also got to drive the police car through the course.

I went through four times. The first time I went through quick but not fast. The second time I went through a lot faster but still not fast.

The third and fourth time I went through with the tires squealing and a little sliding a good part of the way around.

Hell of a day it was.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Taking a citizen's awareness program with my local sheriff's department and went to their driving training track where we not only rode through the course and did multiple maneuvers with a police driving instructor at the wheel, we also got to drive the police car through the course.

I went through four times. The first time I went through quick but not fast. The second time I went through a lot faster but still not fast.

The third and fourth time I went through with the tires squealing and a little sliding a good part of the way around.

Hell of a day it was.
The thought now is that not only do new (16 yr old) drivers need to take courses like this but most adults would greatly benefit from this as well. I think the thought is that you drive your own daily vehicle so you know how to "handle" it.

·
My Other Truck
3,805 Posts
The thought now is that not only do new (16 yr old) drivers need to take courses like this but most adults would greatly benefit from this as well. I think the thought is that you drive your own daily vehicle so you know how to "handle" it.
I have thought exactly that for many years.... the problem being that performance driving schools are few & far between..... and expensive.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
High schools, at least those that I am aware of, no longer offer driver's ed, which is a shame. Back in the day, I took drivers ed in high school. It was a full semester course. You had opportunity to drive in all kinds of weather conditions, both on closed course and open road scenarios.

Looking back on it, I think that may be the reason that I have only been in 2 accidents, and in neither of them was I at fault.

Along that same line, I am always amazed at how drivers do not seem to know where their tires are on the road. It apalls me to see a driver hit a pothole when just a minor adjustment in their track would have avoided it.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I got myself some new tires....265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Love em.
Still using the Duratracs in the winter? Or are you going to run these all year? And I'm guessing you went LT instead of P with the 75 profile.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Still using the Duratracs in the winter? Or are you going to run these all year? And I'm guessing you went LT instead of P with the 75 profile.
P rated 75 profile on my black wheels. (the new tires) Still have the Duratracs on the FJ wheels. I will use them in the really deep snow and summer to get to a few of my hidden fishing holes.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
P-rated on 75 profile...that's gotta be loose in the back end. I've got one turn in particular on the highway on the way home (65 mph) where we hit a dip on the turn. It's already loose compared to the LT-D I had on before.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
P-rated on 75 profile...that's gotta be loose in the back end. I've got one turn in particular on the highway on the way home (65 mph) where we hit a dip on the turn. It's already loose compared to the LT-D I had on before.
Actually, they are not loose at all. They are a lot softer than the Duratracs, of course, but the rear end feels the same....LOL

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Yeah, maybe I wouldn't notice it. :dunno:

Had to put my stock headlight bulbs back in Friday because one of the bulbs I got 2 years ago burned out. Forgot how orange the stock bulbs are after all these years. Tired of them burning out after a couple of years. The best luck I had with longevity were the PIAA bulbs I had before these. Those lasted over 3 years.

·
My Other Truck
3,805 Posts
Still have the stock bulbs in our '05..... but it only has 56K miles and I don't run 'em in bright daylight, so they don't have a lot of hours compared to some. I would switch 'em out if I was convinced there's something noticeably better, both in terms of output and longevity.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma
38 Posts
I'm still don't believe swapping bulbs help out. If anything it's for people who don't like the yellow-ish projection and would prefer a whiter (or other shade) light. I swapped some Philips Crystal Vision bulbs in my old Highlander and while they looked nicer. It didn't do a thing for visability (as it claimed it would). HID would be the only upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My dad bought me a set of Sylvania Silverstars for Christmas a few years back. I work midnights so they get their share of run time. Light quality is better over stock especially distance and side projection is a huge improvement. Had one go bad after one year but other than that I have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Yeah, they definitely project further. At 5 am in the morning on the highway, deer are a big risk. A week ago today, my headlights caught one just at the outer edges of their range in my lane on the freeway (crossing from left to right) and I had enough time to hit the brakes and avoid it. A closer call came on the freeway coming around a turn a month or two ago. I need that distance! And that yellowish/orangish light of the stock bulbs, it really is harder to see (at least with my eyes as I've gotten older). I even have trouble seeing if my fogs aren't on because the darkness directly in front of the truck screws up my ability to see further out. I have that same problem doing the peripheral vision test with the lights where you stare at the center because the peripheral area goes black.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Most of the HID retrofits don't have high beams which is why I've never considered them. What they need to make is an aftermarket headlight housing that has separate low/high beams with HID for the lows.

141 - 160 of 757 Posts