Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a 2005 and 2006 Tacoma owner and love the truck, but I had a bad experience lately and I'd like your opinions. Truck is a TRD with factory tow package.

I took the truck to Valvoline Instant Oil Change to have all the fluids replaced. I've taken cars there for six years without problems. The day after I hear rubbing in the rear end and come to find that they didn't use the special additive needed for the rear differential. Money is refunded, additive added, and away I go.

Two days later my clutch goes out - truck has 30K on it. I take it to the dealer and I'm told it's all wear items. I did tow a boat about 1,500 miles last year with gross weight of everything around 5,000 lbs. I also know I burnt the clutch once coming up a boat ramp when I didn't coordinate the release of the hand brake with my clutch release so well. The repair cost me $1,400 and that's with a machined, not replaced, flywheel.

1. Have any of you heard about chronic clutch problems on late model manual transmission Tacomas?
2. Could the wrong rear diff fluid have aggravated the clutch situation?
3. What the hell can I do in the future to keep it from happening, besides not tow a boat?
4. Does your manual transmission seem stiff when it's cold?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Been a 2005 and 2006 Tacoma owner and love the truck, but I had a bad experience lately and I'd like your opinions. Truck is a TRD with factory tow package.

I took the truck to Valvoline Instant Oil Change to have all the fluids replaced. I've taken cars there for six years without problems. The day after I hear rubbing in the rear end and come to find that they didn't use the special additive needed for the rear differential. Money is refunded, additive added, and away I go.

Two days later my clutch goes out - truck has 30K on it. I take it to the dealer and I'm told it's all wear items. I did tow a boat about 1,500 miles last year with gross weight of everything around 5,000 lbs. I also know I burnt the clutch once coming up a boat ramp when I didn't coordinate the release of the hand brake with my clutch release so well. The repair cost me $1,400 and that's with a machined, not replaced, flywheel.

1. Have any of you heard about chronic clutch problems on late model manual transmission Tacomas?
2. Could the wrong rear diff fluid have aggravated the clutch situation?
3. What the hell can I do in the future to keep it from happening, besides not tow a boat?
4. Does your manual transmission seem stiff when it's cold?
Mr. Fritz, Welcome to TN!
Here is what I think:
1. I did have clutch chatter when the truck was new. A new clutch solved the problem.
2. I do not think so.
3. Be careful with the clutch, especially when towing. Do you remove your left foot completely from the clutch pedal when driving (except when using the clutch)?
4. I'd say not beyond what's expected. Of course when you start driving in the morning and it's below freezing, it won't be as smooth as it is at operating temp.

A few questions for you: what do you mean when you say '05 and '06 owner? Did you buy the truck with the clutch problem used? What were the symptoms of the clutch going out? That usually does not happen suddenly.

Sorry to hear about the problem you have! Yes, 30K miles is very very early to replace a clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the time.

Yes, I do remove my foot from the pedal completely.

I owned an 05 and then traded it in on an 06 full cab. Both vehicles were bought new.

The clutch went in two days. It started out as a stiff shift feeling, and ended with not being able to shift into reverse, first, or second. Almost got me killed pulling out to boot.

I was told it was all wear items, but as you may be suggesting, it went out very quickly.

·
Registered
Tacoma
13 Posts
I have an '06 TRD which I just bought and have now discovered that it has a weak clutch. However I have no idea whether it was abused prior to my purchase---it had 30K miles. I don't think my dealer will do anything under warranty as he's all but turned me down claiming it's a 'wear item' though he is yet to have seen the clutch. I guess I won't know untill I get the clutch out whether there is a problem with a weak pressure plate (arn't they supposed to be rated at 900 pounds?---and how would you test that?). I will report back when I get more difinitive info as to the condition of my clutch but that might be awhile yet-----I would suggest that anyone that wants to hear the result send me your email address and I'll copy you personally when I know more. (and would appreciate feedback from forum readers in they have any informantion relative to clutch performance history. I am at [email protected]

·
Registered
281 Posts
On 02/06/08 I purchased a 2002 4x4 TRD extended cab with 75K miles. When I test drove it the clutch didn't seem that bad but after a few days it became more apparent that the problem was pretty severe. Beings it was a "Toyota Certified" vehicle the dealer replaced the clutch, flywheel pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. While replacing all those parts did help the clutch still grabs when I let it out in first gear and when I shift from first to second and I can still feel it shutter. When I complain to the dealership they say it feels fine and theres nothing they can do about it.

I've taken the truck to a two independent transmission shops and they both say the clutch feels like its going out but they wont know anything till they take apart the transmission to see whats actually going on, neither shop knew the clutch and its components had just been replaced.

I like this truck more than I thought I would and am about ready to say the hell with it, take it to my mechanic and have him tear into it put in an after market clutch and machine the flywheel. The problem with that is what happens if it doesn't fix the problem? I'd be out what it cost to redo the clutch and would still be stuck with the same problem.

My frustration has reached an all time high, I just dont know how to go about fixing the problem without it costing me an arm and a leg.

I am open for suggestions.

Tug

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a brand new 08 Tacoma, 6spd. Only has 440 miles on it right now and I have the clutch chatter problem. I talked to the dealer and they said they haven't seen the problem in a couple years. I'm taking it in tomorrow and I'm going to leave it over night so they can test it cold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My '97's clutch outlasted the rest of the truck thanks to a rollover, had 114k on it a the time. I'm hoping that my new '08 performs in a similar manner.

Oh yeah, that '97 clutch was used to hold the truck at every stop light I ever hit on a hill too.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
you can wear out a clutch in an afternoon. 30k-300k it's all relative to the driver. it is a wear item, how much wear it receives in a specific amount of time is up to the driver.
6shooter for the win.
I've had clutches last over 100,000 miles. It really is all dependent on how you drive.
Towing a boat 1500 miles and frying it on a boat ramp doesn't help. You could have burned a few thousands miles right there.

I've not experienced any clutch chatter on my 06, and now that I am running 285's, I am sure I will be shortening my clutch life. 1400 is ridiculous for a clutch change. I would either do it myself or take it to an independent tranny shop.

·
SWB Fo' Life
07 Xtracab 4x4
1,503 Posts
you can wear out a clutch in an afternoon. 30k-300k it's all relative to the driver. it is a wear item, how much wear it receives in a specific amount of time is up to the driver.
I blew the clutch on my wrx in < 1 year...mostly cuz I was having too much fun with it. It got so bad that whenever I'd accelerate, the rpms would shoot up and the speed would stay the same. Now I'm a lot more careful and conservative.

·
Banned
873 Posts
i got a 06 6 spd tranny

and i got 90,000km's on her... no problems

i suspect the clutch will out live the truck.

also tow lots and lots. .mind you more like 1600-2000pounds. alot lighter than the 5000pounds.

sorry to hear your woe's

cheers
Warts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 06 with a 6spd and the clutch is working great. The truck had 5k on it when I bought it as a certified used from the toyota dealer. I have towed a travel trailer and a cargo trailer and take it in the dirt often. With 32k on the truck now I think the clutch will suely make it too 100k.

Do you leave your foot on the clutch at stop lights? The majority of the time I put the truck in nuetral at stop lights and take my foot off the clutch. I very rarely drive in stop and go traffic, which I am sure helps.

Chris

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
3.5 yrs, 33K, Zero Clutch issues. Towed my sled trailer 3K of that, a few boats, Uhauls. Fine below zero. Very little stop and go, always try to minimize slipping, and never engage the pedal waiting for a light or coasting.

Not saying thats what happened in previous post, but still lots of people clutch-hold their rides on hills/lights instead of using brakes. Easy to see how they can burn out early.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 06 6 spd TRD O/R pkg. I had couple of incidents with my cultch when I was in Glamis I was pulling couple of truck and each time a smoke from the cultch pads will come out very quickly! I have a 02 Land cruiser with Manuel Trans back home and I pulled out a lot of people but I was shocked that happened to me here with the Taco. Toke it to the dealer and they say it is in PERFECT condition!!?? Wonder why that is.

·
Registered
Tacoma
13 Posts
Clutch problems

Hey----I'm 68 years old and have been driving pickup since I was 15 and 4X4's since 58. I've never had a clutch problem with any of my vehicles---till now. I've abused them, pulled tree stumps with them, drag raced them , and just punished them but they never did one ever quit me---till now! Of course those were all Chevy's and Fords and this 06 Toyota clutch has failed----Toyota says it's normal wear and tear-----and they said that without ever having seen it----"There is no Warranty on ' wear items' " they said. Wow! Guess I'll have to fix it myself---wishing I had bought a good truck! 30K miles and the clutch is gone?-----Hmmmmm? wear item my ass!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn 68 year old and still DRVING!! and USING THE COMPUTER!! i feel bad for our elder people now HAHA! at 68 they barely move!!

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts