Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to gain a few horses without TOO much extra noise. I don't mind a somewhat deeper tone, but I don't want my kids asking what's wrong with my truck if you know what I mean. :D
Anyhow...I will probably just buy a muffler and have my local shop install it. Anybody got any suggestions? From what I can tell the gain will only be about 9 hp with most performance mufflers. Thanks......

·
Registered
262 Posts
??? Flowmaster with the Delta Flow ??? Supposed to keep the tone, but reduce interior noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tomcat. I'll check that one out. I've been looking at various websites trying to hear some different sounds. If you know of any good sites let me know.

·
I only eat vegatarians
2004 Tacoma Xtra-Cab
179 Posts
I recently put a flowmaster 50 series delta (in stainless steel) on my 2004 Tacoma (Xtra-cab, auto, 4wd, TRD, ...). It sounds really good, it has a nice deep/throaty sound that does not get "whiny" at higher RPM's (the flowmaster 40 series gets alot of complaints about this). It is loud enough to get people's attention, yet the interior resonance is not annoying. I can really notice a difference in the way my trans shifts- it's much smoother and I do notice an increase in power (I also have a K&N filter installed- I highly recommend it). I decided to keep my truck looking pretty much stock and I only changed out the muffler- I kept the same single output (I thought about getting a dual output, but it would require a lot of work b/c there is not a whole lot of room to run a second pipe out). I highly recommend getting a flowmaster- I should have done this a few months ago when I bought the truck.

·
J Dubb
74 Posts
I put a flowmaster 40 series on my TRD and I somewhat regret it. It has a good sound, but there is too much interior noise. Its just a little quiter than having no muffler at all.

·
I only eat vegatarians
2004 Tacoma Xtra-Cab
179 Posts
Swap it out for a flowmaster 50 series deltaflow- it is much quieter inside than the a flowmaster 40 series original and the 50 series deltaflow has a much deeper/mellow outside tone compaired to the flowmaster 40 original. You shouldn't have a problem finding someone to sell the 40 series too, and a little extra cash invested in a new flowmaster is well worth your sanity inside the cab while you are driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a Magnaflow catback system a few weeks ago on my 04 Taco V6 TRD. Quite happy with it. The sound is nice, without being annoying. No resonance at hwy speeds. Check it out. It's a really well built system. And there is a noticeable difference in useable engine power.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TRDTURD, how did you have it set up? On my '04 that I just traded in (Xtra cab Prerunner) All I did was swap out the muffler, and left the piping all stock. Sounded great, you could here it, but it didn't have that horrible interior noise. If you put the piping facing the ground, you will get more interior sound... same with the double cab model. I just got an '05 Double Cab 4x4, and have yet to do any mods... but there will be some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts