Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question especially for those of you who have owned older Toyota pickups.
How do the new Tacomas do in the snow compared to the previous body style?
I know we had a '93 Toyota pickup and it was not very good in the snow. My Dad's 2000 Toyota is much better. How are the new Tacomas?
I'm thinking of either buying a used Tacoma somewhere around a '98 or newer or just getting a new '08.
Any other info on pluses or minuses would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
05 dc speedway blue
73 Posts
i had a 92 toyota and it did fine in the snow i now have a 05 tacoma and it does awesome in the snow it does so well i am letting my wife take it up to the pass to go snowboarding today :yikes::yikes:

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Get new tires (the stock tires are crap) and you can go just about anywhere with ease in the snow with an 05+ Tacoma. I still have the stock tires which suck in the snow so trying to go up my steep snowy driveway in 2WD is almost impossible but the second I snap it into 4WD it pulls like a champ. I've heard once you get better tires there is basically very little need for 4WD in the snow! I can't wait to get the money to spend on tires lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I previously owned an '02 Tacoma 4WD, and now a '07 Tacoma 4WD. The old one was awesome in the snow after I got the stock tires replaced. The new one has only seen very light snow so far, maybe an inch or so. Stock rugged trails suck, so like everyone said, a tire replacement does wonders. I've owned more 4WD trucks than just Toyotas though, and with good tires, they all did great in snow.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hate to be debby downer, but I've driven the following vehicles a lot in my 5 years... an 04 subaru forester, a 2000 toyota tacoma extended cab 4x4, and a 1997 toyota 4runner 4x4. All were manuals used in extensive winter conditions for 4 months or more a year.

My new 2005 tacoma (6 speed) rates significantly below these vehicles because its ABS system is absolute garbage on ice/snow when you're moving downhill at low speeds. It is bad. And I've tried varying amounts of weight in the back to no avail. Tried threshold breaking, everything and anything, it still sucks. At speeds below 15mph i've been unable to STOP AT ALL on inclines the other vehicles stop fine on, and even when I am able to stop, it takes far too long. And on my driveway, there is a 1000 foot gain elevation over 1.25 miles that gets plowed, freezes, thaws, etc etc and this truck absolutely blows coming down it. When I am coming down and meet other people that live on my driveway they think I'm retarded because it takes so long to stop. Also, I'm running Wildcat AT 265/16/75 WITH STUDS that were taken from my 4runner. I want to disable the ABS but it is helpful at higher speeds. So I just super compensate whenever I'm going downhill.

I do not have VSC on my 2005 tacoma, I'm not sure if this helps out or not.

That's my honest take, and others have experienced similar issues. I'd honestly recommend putting your 08 tacoma in that kind of condition and seeing how it does. Could just be my truck or lack of ability, but I doubt this, as my dad has mentioned it as well. Said it was like 'driving that f******* red '75 VW beetle again' or something.

I should add that my dad's truck, the 2000 4x4 does not have ABS... while the 97 4runner does. They both perform similarly using proper braking methods. Can't comment on 98-99 pickups with ABS. If you're into that kind of thing, you can get a tacoma without ABS through 2000. Although I'm not sure if you can get a 6 cylinder without ABS.

ALSO: I should add that except for that issue it does great. High speed braking, on snow/ice and otherwise is good. I've had a deer or two jump out a few times and been impressed with the ABS/braking, just about as good as the 4runner--which has rear drums I believe. And I took it up my driveway when it was snowed under in 2WD out of curiosity and it did better than my 4runner in similar conditions. Handling on snow/ice is good as well, but make sure to put weight in the back.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma Acces Cab
112 Posts
This is the first Tacoma I have ever owned, and have been really impressed on how well it handles in snow and on ice. I previously owned 03 silverado, 98 GMC 1500 and 87 Jeeep Cherokee and by far the Tacoma handles the best on ice. I still have stock BFG's and people say the suck, the have done well for me on ice. On gravel roads I have a different opinion on the BFG's the feel really loose.
Also just go for th 08', I did shopping around prior to buying my 07 new and I thought it more worth while to buy than used. Damn Tacoma's hold there value. I looked at an 04 double cab prerunner baseline and they wanted $24,500 and went and bought my NEW 07' Acces cab 4x4 for $28,500

·
"Silver Streakin"
168 Posts
Coming from and 01 F150 to an 07 Tacoma, I have to say I'm very disappointed.:disappoin The taco goes in a straight line real well, as far as turning or stopping well, good luck with that. The reasons are well covered above, stock tires blow and the ABS sucks. My tire problem is getting taken care of tomorrow, now to find a way to disable the abs with a switch or something.:rolleyes:

turfdoc

·
Registered
08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
45 Posts
Wow, I don't know what to say as far as the problems you guys are having. I have an 08 AC, Auto, with Off Road Package, and the stock tires. I've never had a problem stopping on ice due to ABS. I normally put it in 4 instead of D and have 4 hi on and I can get just about anywhere. I have no weight in the back either.

I plan on putting some better tires, maybe Michelin on the truck and I will be set. I also live on the second worst road in Kansas City so when it snows most people stay home except for me and the farmer down the street with a Ford F 350.

If you guys have a Auto, try using the lower gear when its bad out and that should fix your problem, the trucks have engine braking or at least mine does so when you are in 4 not D you could take advantage of that. Just my 2 cents.

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
839 Posts
My truck absolutely rocks in the snow and ice. It is by far the best out of all the trucks I`ve owned including a `91 extra cab.

That said I have to agree with you guys, I had to toss a perfectly good (?) set of BFG Rugged Trails because I didn`t feel like dying by sliding off the road. I don`t know why Toyota went away from the All Terrains but I wish they hadn`t, those are kickass tires.

And indeed the ABS absolutely blows!
They WAY overcompensated with the setting on this system and there`s no way to adjust it that I know of.
I know all the arguments and reasons for ABS and the best preventative is still to try not to ever get in a situation where you have to panic stop or mash the brake pedal but I`m with zippo......I can be going 10 miles an hour and with normal application of the brakes it still takes forever to come to a stop all I get is mush mush mush boosh boosh...............

The first time I came up to a stop light in the rain my ABS let me creep out 10 feet over the line into a busy intersection! Talk about feeling retarded. I was barely on the brakes.

Other than that it does very well in the snow since I`ve learned how to drive around the ABS

Hey zippo...there is a way. I just did it yesterday and I really don`t know why I didn`t do it months and months ago.
It`s so simple, just splice into the blue wire with the yellow stripe on the 4wd ecu and run that wire to a switch and run another from the switch to ground and it`ll disable the ABS when you flick it on.
you can switch it back on for normal highway driving

I`ll bump the post back up so you can check it out

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks jungleman, I could use that link... probably do the mod this summer.

I suppose I should clarify my statements, the majority of my trouble comes with the chain clearance issue... and with the ABS on my driveway. My driveway is a one lane 1.25 mile stretch with lots of elevation gain and several very blind corners/hills/situations. Travelling at the speed necessary to compensate for the ABS kills me on this road. If I speed at all (15+) and meet someone coming down, it will be slow-speed head-on collision time because of the ABS. On normal roads it still sucks but can be compensated for... if there is a stop sign ahead you just budget the extra time, or I avoid certain roads completely because the actual stop is on a decline.

I think it has something to do with the rear discs, and the very bizarre tendencies of the ABS. It turns off supposedly around 3-5 MPH?

So if you're trying to stop going downhill from 15 mph let's say, you get into a sh** situation where you mash it because ABS is on... but then hit 3-5mph and it turns off, so your wheels lock... This is what I figured is happening, and I don't see a way of getting around it without disabling ABS. It's also very difficult (atleast for me) to correct for inside the truck. Choose to pump when your ABS is engaged and you're in trouble. Mash it when your ABS is not engaged and you're in trouble on a slick downslope even at low speeds. And you're not going to guess correctly every time when your dropping down from 15-20MPH. Whatever.

Does anyone know if the 4runner ABS cuts off at low speeds? I swear that it does not, or that it is somehow designed differently so that it is more effective.

·
05 TACOMA
839 Posts
Just bumped it up and added some links for ya and anyone else that`s interested.

ABS mod
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167586

I know exactly what you`re saying, except for the chains.....I have a set for all four and have trial fitted them many times and drove around my place with them on-no problems.
I`ve never needed them but they`re in the truck on adventures just in case.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
I've owned a 96 tacoma and currently my 07 tacoma.

My 96 was bare bones no abs, no traction control...manual. It went everywhere I expected of it and more. Never had any problems. I always use 4WD in the snow/ice. I always kept about 200lbs of sand in the bed and I drive pretty 'relaxed' in the snow.

My 07 has ABS (no VSC) and a limited slip. It's been great so far it's first winter. Again, I always use 4WD and carry the same 200lbs of sand in the bed. Haven't had any problems at all in the snow and haven't had any problems with the ABS either. In fact, I've never felt it come on unless I hit my brakes hard on purpose just to see what'll happen....other than that.... I always use my brakes lightly and do it ahead of time.

I honestly can't complain at all! It's been a GREAT truck!!

·
05 TACOMA
839 Posts
No problem, you sound like a perfect candidate if ever there was one. I`m telling you it makes a world of difference. You should do it. It`s easy to undo but I never will.
I`m going to make a run up to the snow and play around with it right now.

265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains on 16X8 Allied Rock Crusher rims
(3 5/8" backspace -20 offset)
The chains are called "Alpine Sport" diamond pattern, got them from Les Schwab.
Easy on-easy off

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
i have no issues with snow, and i drive a 4x2

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Zippo44, I agree with Jungleman. I did the ABS kill switch mod this winter on a "warm" day (ie, just above freezing) after almost killing myself trying to get to an interview in 4" of snow/slush the plows couldn't keep up with. I ended up turning my locker on on the way home just to kill the ABS and help hold the truck straight. It kept wanting to drift off the curves on the country roads I cross, and not stop for the numerous stop signs. Even at speeds of 5mph or less the damn thing slid through the white line and almost into the intersection.

Sometimes I turn the ABS off on good days because it seems like it applies more brake force with less effort/pedal travel on my part.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have two questions about the switch if you could help me jungleman or piercedtiger, can you just flip it while you are driving?

And, to re-engage the ABS is it necessary to turn the truck off/on after flipping the ABS switch back on? More curious than anything.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it anyways come spring, I'm currently away from my truck...

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
You can flip it while driving. Mine sometimes seems to "stick" in ABS off until I restart the engine, but no big deal.

Edit:

I have a write up on here too after consulting with Tacogrande (person who came up with it as far as I know).
Cheap/free mods - Tacoma World Forums

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our average snowfall is 300" plus. I went from a 96 4x4 Tacoma to an '05 DC 4x4 Tacoma. I'm praying that the tires are the culprit for the sub-par winter driving so far. I'm in 4-hi much more in the 05 then I ever was in the 96. I've also been sideways a lot more in the 05. I'm a fairly cautious driver which is why it bothers me so much.

My 96 was a champ in the snow with Dayton Timberline LT's on it. I got them on the cheap, but I loved those tires in the snow. They blew the more expensive stock Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires out of the water.

I still have the Rugged Trails on the 05 right now and am thinking of switching to Revos, Destination AT, or maybe even the Dayton Timberline LT's. I know they are cheap, but they really did that good in the snow.Anything will be better than the stock BFG's RT I'm running now.

Also, I'm hating the ABS like everyone else. I love that it shuts off under 3mph. I REALLY wish there was a way to change that threshold to 30mph. Then we'd be getting somewhere. If anyone has a way to do, I'm all ears.

·
Gone trout fishin
women
69 Posts
ive had 5 tacomas and every one of them performed great in all kinds of snow and ice. I reall think it comes down to the type of tires you have on your truck that determines how it will handle in the snow

1 - 20 of 73 Posts