Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have to buy a new key for my Taco and when I went to the dealer I got pretty heated. They are telling me Tacomas have a "special key" ect ect thats different than other Toyotas. Anyhow final price they are asking is 70 for the key and 100$ to program. Anyone have any hookups or suggestions?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
The keys are "special"! They have a micro chip in them which sends a signal to the ignition. If the key you put in the ignition does not have this chip, the truck will not start. It is part of the Engine immobilzer security system on the truck. Ever noticed the icon next to your clock that flashes when the truck is off? It is the shape of a car with a silouette of a key in the middle...

Having a key programmed is not something you will be able to have done anywhere other than the dealership. Hence they know they have you by the nuts and charge a premium for it.

Best advice is not to loose the three keys you get with the truck...

·
Registered
369 Posts
They key for my new 2009 Camry with the chip was only $45 at my dealer and would have been $50 to program it but the Service director is a friend of mines husband so he had one of his guys just do it for me free.
Find a different dealer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've heard you can buy the keys cheaper online, but I've never looked. Plus you'll still have to pay the re-programming fee.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The key you want is called a 'Transponder Key' it has a microchip inside that your truck ECU reads before it allows it to start. You can get them on eBay for about $30 the drawback is most dealers require you to buy the keys from them and get them cut and programmed there too. Before purchasing from eBay I would try to talk to one of the tech guys at the dealership and try to work something out. Also if I bought a used truck and only got only one transponder key (who has the other two?) I would ask the dealer to change the code in the ECU and reprogram the keys with the new code. I bought a spare key a year ago, $40 for the key $80 to programme but the guy said it was a flat service charge meaning if I programmed 10 keys it would still be $80.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I made a metal blank at home depot for 3 bucks it will open the door but wont crank over the truck becauce theres no chip but thats all you need to carry in your wallet incase you lock yourself out. But if you think your going to loose the key you have to pay the premium for the chip but if all you need is to open the door get a 3 dollar key from depot.

·
Stupid is stupid does
5,554 Posts
I made a metal blank at home depot for 3 bucks it will open the door but wont crank over the truck becauce theres no chip but thats all you need to carry in your wallet incase you lock yourself out. But if you think your going to loose the key you have to pay the premium for the chip but if all you need is to open the door get a 3 dollar key from depot.
very good idea!

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
That is a good idea, but it does not negate the fact that if the OP actually loses his one remaining key, he may be able to open the door, but the key is useless to start the vehicle. If you only have the one key, my advice would be to pony up $210 and have two keys cut and programmed, so you get your moneys worth out of the programming charge. Then you will have a back up that will actually start the vehicle. But I would still get one cut to keep in your wallet in the event you just lock your keys in the truck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey all, I have to buy a new key for my Taco and when I went to the dealer I got pretty heated. They are telling me Tacomas have a "special key" ect ect thats different than other Toyotas. Anyhow final price they are asking is 70 for the key and 100$ to program. Anyone have any hookups or suggestions?

Cheers

Be thankfull its only $70. BMW keys range anywhere from $120-$280. Programing can only be done by the dealer.

·
dont think just do it
211 Posts
Im in the same situation as you, I got my truck used and only got the one key(the guy claims there is another one somewhere under the truck in a "hide a key but i cant find it). I really need to get a new key too, but I am having trouble paying 180 for it. In the meantime I pray I dont lose my key.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife lost the only key (and fob) we had for our Matrix.

2 new keys w/ programming (no fobs) 390$ w/ tax

To Brockville Toyota - at least give me a reach around if you're going to f**k me in the a$$

mah

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
:thumbsup: Thats what I did, I have it duct taped in a strategic spot on my truck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In all reality even charging 1/2 hour of labor for the key is nuts. Once the key it cut it literally takes 5 minutes. 10 if you count going outside to bring the truck in.

·
nooB nooB noo
543 Posts
I got a blank key programmed for my remote start for $50.00 or so at a locksmith. The key for my '06 has a little dot on the key, under the fob. A programmer plugs into the OBDII port that tells the ECU to accept the key in the ignition. Find a decent locksmith.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Or you could do what a local installer did to bypass the Immobilzer on my truck. Cut the key open and glue the chip to the ignition cylinder...then you can use the cheap home depot keys...

I was not very happy when I found out they had done that and charged me $120 extra for "parts".

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was in the same boat when I bought my used truck a few months ago. Only came with one key, so $300 later I had another key and fob reprogrammed and everything... just for that once in a lifetime chance that I forget my car keys inside or lose them... Not sure it's worth it, but if I hadn't gotten it I know the next week I would've needed it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts