Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
im in the same boat. my dealer swears that they deliver all vehicles with two keys and two remotes, i only received one. guess i got caught up in the excitement of my new truck.
i have been going round and round with these jokers since Oct. trying to get a spare key and remote. almost gave up and bought them my self until i priced the damn things. ended up buying a remote on ebay ($12) then programmed it using instructions found here.
the key on the other hand is not so easy.

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
You need one master key (black) to program the new key. Valet (gray) key will start the truck, but it won't let you to program a new key. If you have just one master key, I would get another master done ASAP. IIRC once you loose all of your masters, the Immobilizer system itself has to be replaced with a new one for a whole lot more than $150.00.

I would not put a chipped key in Hide-A-key. Too expensive, and the chip might go bad. Just put a "dumb" key, since you only need it to get inside the truck.

·
nooB nooB noo
543 Posts
good to know.

my truck was a trade from another dealer, i suspect that the keys didnt make it in the swap
This is a new truck? If so I would be all over their ass to come up with the keys or replace the immobilizer and key less remote units and give you new keys. There are 2 keys floating around that could steal your wheels very easily

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
If the dealer failed to provide you with more than one key, I would go back and ask to speak to the new car sales manager. Tell him you want your second master key, the valet key, and free oil changes or something due to the inconvience it was for you to come back and make them do their job! That is just BS!!!

If I would have been taking delivery and they were here you go here is the only key I would have walked back in, cancelled the deal, and gone to a dealership that was actually competent enough to keep track of keys...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this post is 10 years old, but after trying to find a solution to my problem and searching, I found this thread.
I bought my Tacoma used (from a non Toyota dealer) and it only came with one key. Toyota wanted about $240 for a new key, fob, and programming. I told them no way. I ended up hiding the master key in the truck, and carrying a dummy key I had made for less than $5. That got me into the truck but I didn't like the idea of always having the only master key I have inside the truck. Then this "kid" (24 years old) starts working with us, and I am supposed to train him. Turns out that he worked for 3 years at Best Buy installing remote starters, stereo's, cameras, etc. into cars. Somehow we got to talking about cars and the topic came up about my key situation. He said he knows just what I need. He has installed dozens of them. For every car that has an after market remote started installed, part of the system is an immobilizer bypass. He shows me this thing called a 556U (made by E.D.I.) and it doesn't take long to install. After this thing is in your vehicle, any dummy key will start the car. I saw it priced on-line from $14.99 to $65.00. On e-bay they can be had for under $6 (six bucks) (but those are listed as used) Then the kid shows me that Best Buy will price match certain stores. So he looks up the 556U on "Crutchfield" and it sells for $14.99. I plan to go there this weekend. The nice thing about this vs. cutting open your master key and placing the chip in the ignition is that the cars anti-theft system is still intact due to the wiring.

Again, I am posting this, because if it happened to the people that posted here, it is happening to many more people. I am all for Toyota making money, but they are charging way too much for this particular service. Why, because they can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As it turned out, you can buy the DEI 556UW on-line (at picclick.com) for under $10. Best Buy has them, but they do not sell them off the shelf. The only use them in their installation bay as part of the items they install. You will not find them out in the regular section of the store.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts