Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many tacoma owners have stated that they plan to keep their trucks till they die or the wheels fall off. I was wondering how many miles this would equal to and how many miles you currently have. I know Toyota engines are reliable but was wondering how many miles could you realistically expect from your v6 4.0 engine with proper maintance and using synthetic oils. My brother has a v6 3.4 t100 hand-me down with 245,000 miles (original motor and tranny without overhauls) and was wondering if I could surpass his mileage. I drive a lot but mostly drive on the highway and on the weekends tow around my atv.
:thankyou:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've heard about a lot of Toyota owners getting 300,000 miles out of their trucks. I wouldn't think you would have to use synthetic oils either...although this may even increase mileage. I don't know.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
I've owned a 89 Toyota pu and sold it with over 180k city miles after I bought my 05 Taco. I feel pretty convident my 05 will match if not exceed my 89 pu. I know a few coworker that drive a 96 Toyota V6 and have well over 300k on them that communte back and forth to work. Majority of these trucks are very reiliable and this is one of the reason I drive one.:thumbup:

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
Count said:
I've heard about a lot of Toyota owners getting 300,000 miles out of their trucks. I wouldn't think you would have to use synthetic oils either...although this may even increase mileage. I don't know.
I agree. Most swear by routine oil changes and tune ups.:thumbup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Was sitting behind an 80s-model Toyota truck in the Strarbucks drive-thru this a.m. Had a camper shell and about four big dogs in back. The truck was white and its paint was a bit faded, but the body was straight and it looked very clean and sharp. I noticed it was 4WD with a V6.

Don't know how many miles he had on it, but it was probably 20 years old and seemed to be running great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before I bought the '05 Tacoma, my daily driver was an '89 Toyota 4x4 pickup 4WD V6 ... managed to get almost 270,000 miles on it before I finally decided to sell it and get the Tacoma.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
i'll be pissed if i don't easily clock over 250K miles. 400K would be cool.

-Mike

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Well, its a Toyota, so the skys the limit in terms of how long it could last.
I had an '85 4Runner that had 245,000 miles on it when I sold it. At the time it ran great and the guy who bought it drove the thing for another 3 years and then he sold it. The last I heard, it was being raced in the CORR off-road racing series in the sportsman division, so who knows. :thumbsup:
Its not at all uncommon to hear of people with older Toyota trucks that have 300,000-400,000 miles on the original motor and tranny.
Change the oil and oil filter every 3,000-5,000 miles, do the tuneups, keep the airfilter clean and Id say that 300K is a very realistic expectation.
Check out this link: http://www.toyoland.com/club/index.php
:thumbsup:

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
don't forget to change the ATF/gear oil, diff oil, brake fluid, and coolant. :)

-Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts