Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb posting, watch out! :disappoin

I've been researching Tacomas for a long time, and I have a few questions that I have not been able to find the answers for by searching here or googling.

I know that the 09 Tacomas have an e-LSD. To me this sounds like an attempt to make things less expensive to build. Are there aftermarket differentials one can swap into the rear and front (assuming it's an open diff) and disable the e-LSD function included in the truck? I've read a little about Detroit True-tracs and that they might be able to be swapped in. I checked Quaife's site and they do not produce one for this truck.

If I were to buy one of these I would not want to put lockers in. I wouldn't be that serious of an off-roader, but I like the functionality and handling benefits LSDs can provide.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
Well you could swap in an 05-08 LSD rear end. But the eLSD is basically traction control for the rear end, if it's done well it could be better than a mechanical LSD for normal use. Let's see if others can provide feedback.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
You can also theoretically turn the '09's LSD off since it's a electrical controlled system. You can't do that with a mechanical LSD and you can't have a locker with LSD.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can swap in an 05-08 LSD setup for the rear. Are there any more options for that? What about the front differential?

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
if you buy a 2WD.. there is no front differential. If you buy a 4WD, the front differential would only matter when 4wd is engaged. And LSD is the last thing you want when going off road.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is that? My Subaru WRX has limited slip rear and center diffs and the STi version has a front LSD as well.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I've tested my budy's 09 on snow. The e-LSD works, but you have to toggle the 3 settings by pushing or holding the button. It is 'safer' with VSC. Putting an aftermarket Mech LSD would mess up the VSC/TRAC system. Sure it can be done, but no w/o alot of work & $.

As said eariler, you could save some $ and go w/ an 05-08 TRD Sport if you really want a Mech LSD and none of the electronic nannies. Works good in the snow, dont always have to put in 4wd in winter to get up my driveway and helps off-road. All Tacoma's have same front diff, open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts