Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else find their transmissions searching for gears or actually slipping? When I go down the hill in my neighbor hood I either coast or give very little gas approaching the intersection. When I get there and give gas to move along there is NO response from the transmission. Engine revs like its slipping or has just failed. Then after the engine revs it kicks in. Dealer put on my service invoice that this is a common problem when fluid shifts in the transmission even when filled to the proper level. When leaving the dealership the service manager told me my complaint was not unusual but Toyota has yet to issue a recall or a TSB. At least I am on record if I get into an accident but its pretty sad!

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
That's a first for me... I have never heard of a transmission not working properly because it's on a hill and the fluid is moving around. That must be one heck of a hill.

Have they checked the level of the trans fluid? Crazy as it sounds, there have been cases of Tacomas rolling off the line with low trans fluid. Don't assume the factory filled it properly, especially if you're having problems.

Lots of people complain about the way the computer shifts gears on the 2016+ Tacoma. It's optimized for fuel economy and always wants to ride around in the highest gear possible, but that's not any sort of mechanical issue.

Which year do you have?

I wonder if the delayed response to the gas pedal isn't some other sort of feature of the computer thinking too much. They've been changing the programming in the engine and the trans computers every year since 2016 to try to reduce those complaints. If you have a 2016-2019, I'd ask the dealer to apply the latest engine and trans ECU updates to see if that makes any difference. There are TSB's for that, although the TSB's describe different problems than what you're seeing. As long as you're under warranty, I would think the dealer would go along with the idea of trying this solution. They just have to plug in their diagnostic laptop (Techstream) and let it apply the latest versions of those things. It might take a couple of hours, but again, Toyota should cover that under warranty if you also complain about the trans shifting poorly in other driving conditions. That part about the engine revving and delayed shifting is described in a TSB in high altitude or high temperature conditions and led to an engine ECU update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts