Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had to post this...

My neighbor has an '05 Tacoma and I noticed he took off his tailgate the other day. I asked him why he took it off. Guess what, he told me someone stole it last week.

He went to the police department to report the tailgate stolen. The cop said, "another Tacoma tailgate - thats the 4th one this week!" It seems people are starting to steal these on a regular basis. And as posted in my original post, a different friend of mine had had his tailgate stolen off his truck like 7 months ago.

Here is the topper, he had to pay $1100 to buy a new tailgate. His theft detuctible was $1000, so he he didnt bother with his insurance.

I told him about my idea with the hose clamp and he thout it might have saved him $1100... Bottom line, if you have not put one on, you might consider it.

Click the link below for my original post and a photo.

-Steve

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100980

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Here is a cut and paste of my original post...

I forgot to mention in the above post how I made a $.79 lock for my '06 Tacoma tail gate. Not sure if somone came up with this already... But, I simply bought a hose clamp and put it around the right side tail gate hinge.

It took 2 minutes to do and only cost me 79 cents. Now the tail gate is "locked" in place and can not be removed unless you unscrew the hose clamp first. Releax, there is plenty of clearance for the screw portion of the hose clamp and it does not rub at all.

Sure, it's not totally locked... But, it is a lot better then somone just lifiting the tail gate off and walking away. Also, if you really want to make it almost permenant, you could just grind off the head of the hose clamp screw.

-Steve

·
Registered
378 Posts
Must be a west coast thing.

I hope it doesn't spread, in the meantime I might take your advise.

Just in case I go to Chicago or something, (if it's going to happen in the midwest it'll be there first).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I bet it started with some one taking it off, and losing theirs. Then the ball starts to roll, he steals one, then that guy, steals one to replace his, and so on and so on. I mean, what the hell would someone want with the tail gate? Use it for a surf board or something?

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport, 2WD
96 Posts
wow, I don't live too far from you, like 30 mins. And I used to go down to Garden Grove a lot. Lucky I didn't get mind stolen. (knocking on the wood)...

I need to do it tomorrow...

Thanks for the warning :thankyou:

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
Hose clamp thing works, and now they have the tailgate handle locks for like $30 so that is another option to folks. I'm thinking of a hard bed cover also, much more expensive but mostly for storing items underneath while out and about and not have to worry about piling them in the back seat where people can see them.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I bet we'll start seeing some tacoma tailgates on Ebay for sale. There's good chance that they're stolen. I wonder if they put the VIN # on the tailgate somewhere?

I have a pin switch in the tailgate jamb that is connected to my security system.

You know how the cables on the tailgate have that connector on the end that lets you slide it off of the bolt thing? I wonder if you could put a big washer on there that would prevent the cables from coming off of the bolt?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good thinking.....I'm going to do the hose clamp thing on Saturday...even here in rural Utah I'm sure we got thieves looking for an easy score...will grind off screw head too. Thanx for the idea ! :) yes I see VIN #s on all the body parts

·
Too old to remember
53 Posts
The vin# is on it......I went and bought a popalock just the same. I've had a ARE cover on mine since day one and last week i got in and started drivin and heard a strange rattle. Stopped to check and the tailgate was unlatched and up against the cover, like someone tried to open it. Why can't toyota just put a damn lock on it?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
TheDanMan said:
Maybe our bed cleats are next. :mad:
If you want to protect the cleats, at the end of the rail drill down through both rail lips and put a small bolt and nut through it. That will keep the cleats from sliding off.

Luckily, I never hear about any body parts being stolen in my area.

West Coast :thumbdown

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
People will steal it because it's there. They dont like the fact that you have something they don't, so they take it. Thiefs aren't exactly the brightest people in the world.

·
MO Networks Inc.
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
112 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
I bet we'll start seeing some tacoma tailgates on Ebay for sale. There's good chance that they're stolen. I wonder if they put the VIN # on the tailgate somewhere?

I have a pin switch in the tailgate jamb that is connected to my security system.

You know how the cables on the tailgate have that connector on the end that lets you slide it off of the bolt thing? I wonder if you could put a big washer on there that would prevent the cables from coming off of the bolt?
I think the VIN is on the tailgate. Just one of those stickers with it on it though

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
I finally got my pop n' lock from hubcaps plus. Install was pretty easy. I'm gonna supplement it with the hose clamp maneuever too, since I don't have any need to remove the gate.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
SilverStreak05 said:
I finally got my pop n' lock from hubcaps plus. Install was pretty easy. I'm gonna supplement it with the hose clamp maneuever too, since I don't have any need to remove the gate.
Hey SilverStreak05, How does the pop n' lock work, cost and where is hubcaps plus located at?

·
Registered
324 Posts
05 Taco Crew said:
Good thinking.....I'm going to do the hose clamp thing on Saturday...even here in rural Utah I'm sure we got thieves looking for an easy score...will grind off screw head too. Thanx for the idea ! :) yes I see VIN #s on all the body parts
How do you grind off the screw head? Mines a tight fit as it is. Will you be using a dremel? If so, how do we get it off in case we need to remove the gate? Thanks.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Hey SilverStreak05, How does the pop n' lock work, cost and where is hubcaps plus located at?
You install it under the tailgate latch. It has a keyed lock so you can keep the gate from opening. Check out this thread...

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t102133.html

·
Too old to remember
53 Posts
The popa lock goes on pretty easy. You take the access panel off, slide the lock under the latch, and carefully (don't scratch the paint, ya damn kids)! guide the two bolts thru the two small holes under the latch. Then go to the other side, put the spacers and locknuts on, tighten it down, and your done. The kit also comes with two "extenders" that you are supposed to put on the connecting rods, probably to give them more throw, but I left them off, and it works just fine. The only tools you'll need is a torx t-30 (access panel) and a 7mm socket (locknuts).

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.