Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tail Light Removal...DIY w/ pics; 56k watch out now!!

64608 Views 68 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  csellers13
WITHOUT having to take off rear bumper. It was a little bit tricky, but I didn't want to have to deal with the bumper removal.

Someone scraped the corner of my bumper with their vehicle....at the same time, it cracked the lens of my px side tail light.

Got a new one from Ebay, and here's the install with a few pics.

Hope this helps anyone who has to change that crap out.

--------------------------------

Step 1: Pop the trunk

Step 2:

Remove trunk lining to gain access to the spare tire

Step 3: Unscrew the "Grocery hook"...careful when pulling out. It popped me in the eyeball.

Step 4: Peel back trunk liner to gain access to the bulbs and the three screws that hold the lens housing in place;

Step 5: Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the housing in place. DO NOT DROP THE NUTS...LoL

Step 6: Once the 3 nuts have been removed, you can gently shimmy out the light.

Step 7: Tail light removed.

Step 8: Picture of new Ebay light. Its aftermarket, but you cannot tell the difference unless you look at the manufacturing numbers.

Step 9: Put new light in exactly how you took it out, and reverse your disassembly steps for re-assembly.

All done!! (don't forget to plug your bulbs back in too)

I have an extra tail light now for anyone who wants it for experimental purposes. It has a slight crack in the lens. If you want it, all I ask is that you pay shipping. PM me anytime.

Hope this was helpful :thumbup::thumbup:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've got a Japanese model bro.

Its not a screw, its a small plastic black tab under the light that runs into a gray "raised lip"...that part is also tiny.

That is what keeps catching. If you lift the light up while you wiggle it out, the two tabs won't catch eachother, and out the light comes.

Might be the same for Australia's? I dont know.

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hey ebumdude, im also installing my LED tail lights....could u give me sum tips on how to deal with the bottom clip? cuz I heard lammydi had problems with that. Thanks man
It took me a little while and some shimmy'ing....but all I did was lift "up" on the light at the same time I was wiggling it out.

I hope it helps. :thumbup:

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No. I was able to work it out of there without breaking it.

HOWEVER; I would recommend at least loosening your rear bumper cover to do this so that it takes a little pressure off the clip. That way you don't break it.

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just gave this a go and gave up.. Jesus, how many bolts and clips does one set of lights need to hold it in place?

I wonder what they'll think of next? Need to drop the engine to switch out the wiper blades? :)

Sorry it didn't work out for you man. You could also just take off the whole rear bumper cover instead, that might help you achieve your goal.

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice writeup man...ur great at this stuff. Oh and thanks for your help on the Headlights too, i think im gonna end up painting mine this sunday thanks to your DIY. BTW do you have one for the '07 Camry? cuz the one that i saw was for the Tundra and i don't wanna mess anything up cuz those things are expensive from Toyota.

Thanx for everything...ur the man?

Thanks for the compliment on this particular thread.

As for the headlight DIY, I think Geoff is the person you would like to speak to about that...he did his fairly recently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.