Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tail Light Removal...DIY w/ pics; 56k watch out now!!

64608 Views 68 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  csellers13
WITHOUT having to take off rear bumper. It was a little bit tricky, but I didn't want to have to deal with the bumper removal.

Someone scraped the corner of my bumper with their vehicle....at the same time, it cracked the lens of my px side tail light.

Got a new one from Ebay, and here's the install with a few pics.

Hope this helps anyone who has to change that crap out.

--------------------------------

Step 1: Pop the trunk

Step 2:

Remove trunk lining to gain access to the spare tire

Step 3: Unscrew the "Grocery hook"...careful when pulling out. It popped me in the eyeball.

Step 4: Peel back trunk liner to gain access to the bulbs and the three screws that hold the lens housing in place;

Step 5: Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the housing in place. DO NOT DROP THE NUTS...LoL

Step 6: Once the 3 nuts have been removed, you can gently shimmy out the light.

Step 7: Tail light removed.

Step 8: Picture of new Ebay light. Its aftermarket, but you cannot tell the difference unless you look at the manufacturing numbers.

Step 9: Put new light in exactly how you took it out, and reverse your disassembly steps for re-assembly.

All done!! (don't forget to plug your bulbs back in too)

I have an extra tail light now for anyone who wants it for experimental purposes. It has a slight crack in the lens. If you want it, all I ask is that you pay shipping. PM me anytime.

Hope this was helpful :thumbup::thumbup:
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hey ebumdude, im also installing my LED tail lights....could u give me sum tips on how to deal with the bottom clip? cuz I heard lammydi had problems with that. Thanks man
It took me a little while and some shimmy'ing....but all I did was lift "up" on the light at the same time I was wiggling it out.

I hope it helps. :thumbup:

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
Just put in my LED tails.

Outers:

1. You do not have to remove the spare tire cover. Just one push pin on each side and the cargo net/grocery bag holder to remove. Peel the interior trim back to expose the area. There are 3 nuts and 2 bulbs to remove.

2. There is a white plastic clip on the forward end of the light that is not mentioned in the previous writeup. The light slides forward on the clip. It must be reused with the new light. I tried to push it out but finally it just stayed in place when I slid the light assy. back. I don't see a part number for this clip.

3. The Black clip (52561-06040, $9.69 list) goes around the light and bumper cover and keeps the light from sliding out to the rear after the 3 nuts are removed. I just pulled the light back until the small black plastic locking tab (holds it onto the taillight assy) snapped.

4. For reinstallation, remove the black clip from the light assy. by pushing down on the locking tab. Take the clip and slide it over the bumper cover. You can then just slide the light assy. straight forward. Do not push it far enough so that it locks to the taillight yet. be sure the gasket is in place and that the LED wires go into the trunk.

5. Hook up your lights and test for normal lights, stop lights and turn signals. If everything is okay, you can push the tailight forward and the clip will lock onto the light assy.

6. Tighten the 3 nuts as you push the light forward to compress the gasket.

7. Replace the trunk interior pieces.

Inners:

1. Remove the trunk interior trim and the light bulbs

2. Remove the 3 nuts/side which just leaves a guide pin with a white plastic cap holding the light in place. I got the caps off but it was a bitch. I would recommend to just cut the caps off and have 1 new one for each side for the re-installation. They are pt. # 81496-33010 for about $0.70 each.

3. Re-installation is straightforward but it would be best to test the lights before engaging that white guide pin that will lock the light in place.

This should save you a little hair pulling for what should be a easy job.

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
njerald:
When you were taking the outer tails off... did you actually break the bumper clip or did it release while you pulled the light back? I absolutley cannot get mine off and if I pull any harder, I'm afraid I'll snap the whole light in two. I have switched the inners on the trunk lid with no problem and I can't finish the job without help!

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
njerald:
When you were taking the outer tails off... did you actually break the bumper clip or did it release while you pulled the light back? I absolutley cannot get mine off and if I pull any harder, I'm afraid I'll snap the whole light in two. I have switched the inners on the trunk lid with no problem and I can't finish the job without help!
The clip doesn't release as it's under the bumper cover by over an inch.

If you don't want to pull any harder, you will have to loosen the bumper cover.

You might also try trying to release the clip from the light although I don't know if you have enough access to do that.

Good Luck.

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
What I meant was getting the clip to release from the light- I realize that it will only slide off the bumper after the light removed. So, you just pulled hard and the clip disengaged from the light?

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
What I meant was getting the clip to release from the light- I realize that it will only slide off the bumper after the light removed. So, you just pulled hard and the clip disengaged from the light?
No, the clip broke...on both tails.

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No. I was able to work it out of there without breaking it.

HOWEVER; I would recommend at least loosening your rear bumper cover to do this so that it takes a little pressure off the clip. That way you don't break it.

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
I have spent 2 nights (probably 3 hours total) trying to get the corner tails off- with no success. The bumper clip is impossible to break! I have even sawed the bottom part off with a hack saw and it still won't break or release. I may have to resort to a body shop to take the bumper off. Any other advice before I throw down a ton of money on what should be a DIY project?

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
Well, I tried everything I could to get the bumper clips to release or break. If I had pulled "up and out" any harder, I would have broken the housing in two. I had to go to Toyota for regular maintenance on Saturday, so I just payed them $50 to take the bumper off and do it for me. The inner tails were easy to get out on my own, though. Oh well- the LEDs look so good now and it was well worth the blood, sweat, and $$. It was all financed my my good 'ole economic stimulus check!

· Registered
59 Posts
Just gave this a go and gave up.. Jesus, how many bolts and clips does one set of lights need to hold it in place?

I wonder what they'll think of next? Need to drop the engine to switch out the wiper blades? :)

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just gave this a go and gave up.. Jesus, how many bolts and clips does one set of lights need to hold it in place?

I wonder what they'll think of next? Need to drop the engine to switch out the wiper blades? :)

Sorry it didn't work out for you man. You could also just take off the whole rear bumper cover instead, that might help you achieve your goal.

· Registered
59 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out for you man. You could also just take off the whole rear bumper cover instead, that might help you achieve your goal.
Yeah... probs will have to. It's amazing how easy you can scratch your paintjob trying to take those lights out.

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
Stevemr2t--- I would highly recommend heading to your local Toyota dealer and pay the regular shop guys (no need for body shop) $50 or so to take the bumper off and do the corners for you. The inners on the trunk lid; however, are easy to do yourself.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.