Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tail Light Removal...DIY w/ pics; 56k watch out now!!

64608 Views 68 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  csellers13
WITHOUT having to take off rear bumper. It was a little bit tricky, but I didn't want to have to deal with the bumper removal.

Someone scraped the corner of my bumper with their vehicle....at the same time, it cracked the lens of my px side tail light.

Got a new one from Ebay, and here's the install with a few pics.

Hope this helps anyone who has to change that crap out.

--------------------------------

Step 1: Pop the trunk

Step 2:

Remove trunk lining to gain access to the spare tire

Step 3: Unscrew the "Grocery hook"...careful when pulling out. It popped me in the eyeball.

Step 4: Peel back trunk liner to gain access to the bulbs and the three screws that hold the lens housing in place;

Step 5: Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the housing in place. DO NOT DROP THE NUTS...LoL

Step 6: Once the 3 nuts have been removed, you can gently shimmy out the light.

Step 7: Tail light removed.

Step 8: Picture of new Ebay light. Its aftermarket, but you cannot tell the difference unless you look at the manufacturing numbers.

Step 9: Put new light in exactly how you took it out, and reverse your disassembly steps for re-assembly.

All done!! (don't forget to plug your bulbs back in too)

I have an extra tail light now for anyone who wants it for experimental purposes. It has a slight crack in the lens. If you want it, all I ask is that you pay shipping. PM me anytime.

Hope this was helpful :thumbup::thumbup:
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Joined the dark side. :D
6,943 Posts
Stevemr2t--- I would highly recommend heading to your local Toyota dealer and pay the regular shop guys (no need for body shop) $50 or so to take the bumper off and do the corners for you. The inners on the trunk lid; however, are easy to do yourself.
Is that safe? I mean the dealer would want a piece of that too.

I prefer to do it myself so I know what's in there. If I break something, I know what's broken.. if some else does it, they probably won't tell U it got broken.

· '07 Camry V6 XLE
'07 Camry V6 XLE
11 Posts
well, i took it to a dealer with a large service department in a major city-- so they knew what they were doing. it is definitely safer than doing it yourself because when it comes to plastic clips and fasteners on cars, whether or not you break something depends on if you know what you are doing!

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Nice writeup man...ur great at this stuff. Oh and thanks for your help on the Headlights too, i think im gonna end up painting mine this sunday thanks to your DIY. BTW do you have one for the '07 Camry? cuz the one that i saw was for the Tundra and i don't wanna mess anything up cuz those things are expensive from Toyota.

Thanx for everything...ur the man?

· Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice writeup man...ur great at this stuff. Oh and thanks for your help on the Headlights too, i think im gonna end up painting mine this sunday thanks to your DIY. BTW do you have one for the '07 Camry? cuz the one that i saw was for the Tundra and i don't wanna mess anything up cuz those things are expensive from Toyota.

Thanx for everything...ur the man?

Thanks for the compliment on this particular thread.

As for the headlight DIY, I think Geoff is the person you would like to speak to about that...he did his fairly recently.

· boo.hoo.hoo.
1,506 Posts
Well, I figured out a way to get the tail light out out of the car itself in 2 minutes. This also will help you avoid any paint damage. Only do this if you have space black clips (the ones that hook the bumper/tail light together). This will require you to break the clips.

(for the outer tails:)
* Unscrew the 3 bolts holding it in place.
* Elevate the inner area upwards.
* Gently tap the 3 screws in the back until the clip's tabs itself breaks!

Forget gently rocking it outwards, or hack sawing it.
Even if it costs $20 to replace the 2 tabs, its still cheaper than $50...

· Registered
4,420 Posts
geoff got rid of his car

Do you know if he ever did a DIY on headlight removal?

I was planning on doing this on sunday if i can...whenever i do im gonna try and do a DIY myself and post it here. I think it's gonna suck the first time so when i do the second headlight ill take the pix and everything. I have no idea where that thing is held or if i will have to take my bumper off. Wish me luck i guess!!

· Registered
4,420 Posts
If this is in relation to HIDs-- mounting a ballast under the headlight or w/e, he did a front bumper removal DIY.
I already have HID's on my car. But i wanted to black the headlights so i need to take them off. I will be using the bumper removal DIY and then just try to figure where they are held in place and take pix as i do the other one and post them up.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,235 Posts
I already have HID's on my car. But i wanted to black the headlights so i need to take them off. I will be using the bumper removal DIY and then just try to figure where they are held in place and take pix as i do the other one and post them up.
As posted by desentrix, he posted the front bumper removal. Once the bumper is removed, there is I think 3 screws holding it in place. Thats all there is. If you are referring to removing the clear housing from the headlight so you can paint the inside, do a search on "black housing". Its a Gen 5 removal but same concept. Even a google search will have videos or tutorials.

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
That's why there are Service Manuals.

· Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,463 Posts
The ends of the wires are the same as the lamp and plugs into the old socket....

· Registered
2009 Toyota Camry SE
28 Posts
Removal of the Trunk tail lights

This is added to DIY Section. Just wondering :confused: If someone has posted removal of the trunk tail lights (pics and Steps). Because trunk mounted this lights are also part of Tail lights......:lol:

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
This is added to DIY Section. Just wondering :confused: If someone has posted removal of the trunk tail lights (pics and Steps). Because trunk mounted this lights are also part of Tail lights......:lol:
Another noob who doesn't bother to read this thread.................Yuck, Yuck..

Reactions: gfryhtsn
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.