Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Call me Nate
2005 Tacoma DC TRD S
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you don't need to remove your tailgate on a regular basis, this is quick, easy and $0.79 cheaper than the clamp method (still a smart idea) for securing your tailgate.

Facing your tailgate, the right side release hinge has an inner sheath that can rotate. To see it, close the tailgate, sit on the ground and look up at the underside of the hinge. You will be able to see a crease between the hinge and this sheath. With a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, gently tap the inner sheath. It should smoothly rotate around the inside of the hinge. A 1/2" of rotation should be enough to prevent the tailgate from being removed.
Tap and check. Tap more if the gate still slides off the release post.

The added benefit of this is that it is nearly impossible for any thief to see what is preventing the gate from coming off when they pull up on it. To reverse the process, simply tap the sheath in the opposite direction until the ends of the sheath lines up with the hinge again.

Viola! Free and easy! :naughty:

Enlarge

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
I'll have to check that out. What exactly do you mean when you say SHEATH? Never heard that one before.

·
Call me Nate
2005 Tacoma DC TRD S
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigblue said:
I'll have to check that out. What exactly do you mean when you say SHEATH? Never heard that one before.
I couldn't think of a better word for it, but maybe sleeve would make more sense. This inner ring inside of the release hinge would be a lot easier to see if you completely removed the gate, but you can still see it if you look closely.

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
Adrenalinate said:
I couldn't think of a better word for it, but maybe sleeve would make more sense. This inner ring inside of the release hinge would be a lot easier to see if you completely removed the gate, but you can still see it if you look closely.
Okay, i gotcha!! I'll have to check that out when I get some time to play around with it. I'll let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Adrenalinate, Good watching out! I love it, the good guys are suppose to be smarter than the bad guys, your the man! I really like this site for this kind of a fix, good intelligent mods, comments, etc. that will help us all have a little better experience with our trucks.:naughty: I am going camping tomorrow and will do it as I am hanging out at the camp site. Thanks for sharing.:clap: Carl

·
Tacolfe
2005 Tacoma Access C
37 Posts
Yes good remedy, when I first tried to take my tailgate off it wouldn’t come off for this very same reason. I had to take a hammer and screwdriver just to get mine off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good found! Hopefully the bad guys are NOT reading this board.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

I have never seen a tailgate stolen either, but when I went to Chicago it was on my mind, you don't know how many people have had their car batteries stolen there.

I will be taking some small precautions to ease my mind.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm sure all the Arizona boys will appreciate this, if they haven't already welded thier tailgates shut.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have known people who have had theirs stolen....either its someone who messed theirs up, selling it, or just passing along the problem because theirs got stolen.

The new trucks have a VIN sticker on each panel, but thats not going to deture a theif or a person who buys it for $50 bucks on ebay to replace theirs.

A good little trick since I hardly ever remove my tailgate, will have to check it out.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AccessCab
51 Posts
AdrenaliNate said:
With a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, gently tap the inner sheath. It should smoothly rotate around the inside of the hinge. A 1/2" of rotation should be enough to prevent the tailgate from being removed.

Ok, what year do you have. I tried it on the 06 and the inner sheath is PLASTIC! I was tapping lightly and the blade of the screwdriver was sinking into the, what I thought was metal. I took the hinge off and found the sheath to be plastic and it doesn't rotate very well at all.:confused:

Am I just being too agressive with it? After all, I am a fireman and like to break things. ;)

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
Speakmaniac said:
AdrenaliNate said:
With a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, gently tap the inner sheath. It should smoothly rotate around the inside of the hinge. A 1/2" of rotation should be enough to prevent the tailgate from being removed.
Ok, what year do you have. I tried it on the 06 and the inner sheath is PLASTIC! I was tapping lightly and the blade of the screwdriver was sinking into the, what I thought was metal. I took the hinge off and found the sheath to be plastic and it doesn't rotate very well at all.:confused:

Am I just being too agressive with it? After all, I am a fireman and like to break things. ;) No you're not. I also checked mine out and it's plastic and glued in. The plastic is used as a glide so you don't want to ruin it. I notice mine is glue in very well so I will keep the hose clamp on. :)

·
Registered
06 Tacoma AccessCab
51 Posts
Okay, thanks! Yeah, I stopped when I noticed it was getting marred up. Good idea though, if you can get it to work. I think I'll have to spend that whole $0.79 now!:lol:

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
Speakmaniac said:
Okay, thanks! Yeah, I stopped when I noticed it was getting marred up. Good idea though, if you can get it to work. I think I'll have to spend that whole $0.79 now!:lol:
Only bad thing is the plastic is intended to be used as a glide and by rotating it the metal stub will start rubbing on the metal of the tailgate.:disappoin

·
Call me Nate
2005 Tacoma DC TRD S
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Only bad thing is the plastic is intended to be used as a glide and by rotating it the metal stub will start rubbing on the metal of the tailgate.:disappoin
Mine is an '05, and from what it seems my sheath is plastic as well. I did mar it a tad but it rotated fairly easily and doesn't rub on the metal of the tailgate at all. Hose clamp is a good idea, but this works for me just fine. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts