Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Have a '10 Sequoia SR5 4x4 (tried over at Seq. threads 1st but no response). I'd like to smooth out the ride, vehicle is very jiggly on light and moderate choppy pavement. (Gives the feel like your running 50+ psi in the tires but I'm running 33 all around). Takes single bumps just fine. Anything need to wear in (Just broke 600 miles) or would different shocks help ?

·
GO PATRIOTS!
8,678 Posts
Does your truck ride better with a load in it? My Tundra rides pretty bad over choppy pavement, if there is any weight in the bed it rides alot better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. What action does the sway bar provide ? Years ago I recall it was something to keep tires planted flat while turning, do these do anything else in the more modern suspension systems ?
Loading it up a makes sense, it does kinda have the feel that nothings flexing over light terrain (except the passengers). I'm gonna try putting some stuff in the back and see where that goes. They have that Platinum model (about a scary +15K more) that I notice has switchable adaptive suspension and rear load leveling, anyone here ever drive one ? Wouldn't mind spending 1K or so to soften this up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What action does the sway bar provide ? Years ago I recall it was something to keep tires planted flat while turning, do these do anything else in the more modern suspension systems ?
Loading it up a makes sense, it does kinda have the feel that nothings flexing over light terrain (except the passengers). I'm gonna try putting some stuff in the back and see where that goes. They have that Platinum model (about a scary +15K more) that I notice has switchable adaptive suspension and rear load leveling, anyone here ever drive one ? Wouldn't mind spending 1K or so to soften this up.
The sway bar might not be the fix you're looking for now that i've re-read your questions. It will make a HUGE difference in how the truck handles overall, but it sounds like you're not comfortable with the stiff rear suspension. Unfortunately, you drive a truck that is made to haul stuff. It's hard to have a perfect ride when empty and when full loaded, so there has to be some give and take to balance it out the best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darnit, I put a few hundreds pounds in the back and the result was a front to back rocking motion. To me the body is affixed much too rigidly, vehicle hardly budges when you try to rock it. Guess this could be a benefit on a tough trail but on the road it kinda rides like a UPS truck, with the old neck injury I have it's just too uncomfortable. Have owned Chevy Tahoe, Dodge Ram, Yukon and none were even close to this in roughness but wow otherwise a really nice vehicle with obvious quality exceeding the other mentioned vehicles. Dealers talking a 4.5K bite to get out of the vehicle, any other ideas before I take the bite ? :headbang:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have you tried running higher tire pressure? No point in not messing with everything you can before selling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely, I'd give anything a try, would like to make it work. But yes, driving it home from the dealer I swore the tires were over pressure by the ride but after getting it home verified it wasn't the case. I've tried 30-36 and every thing in between. Best I could get was at the recommended 33. One person in car vs. 4 didn't yield anything noticeable. Looking underneath those springs look massive, looks like it would take a lot to get them moving which could be the culprit in my case. My passenger + cargo never exceeds 2K and I'm not doing any towing at this time but if I did wouldn't me much (3K). There any data on springs available ? I'm thinking around a 20% reduction might yield some real results, long as it would be safe albeit the lower carrying/hauling load capacities which would be fine for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
10SR5
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing