Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that this is a well-formed question, but I might as well try it. I bought a 1987 carbed 4x4 about a year ago, and I've been spending any extra time and money I have getting it cleaned up and running well. It's the first mechanical project I've undertaken, so it's been slow, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

So far I haven't done anything to modify the truck, except for putting Smittybilt bumpers and a rollbar on (I've heard people say they're heavy pieces of junk, but the back one has paid for itself twice so far).

Now I'm starting to think what I could do to give myself a little more traction climbing. Progress will be limited by cash, but since I'm looking at a little something in the form of a tax return, and hopefully that federal rebate, I thought I might as well ask where people would recommend I start.

Should I try to move up on tires? Or will that mean necessary re-gearing and suspension lift? Would a more aggressive tread pattern help (over the A/T BFG which is on there now) enough to stick with small ones? Is it worth saving up for a toyota e-locker for the back? Or should I build up driving experience on the open diff?

This is what I've been thinking about all day while I'm supposed to be working. Sorry for the length, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
31x10.50 tires all the way around, best bang for the buck (no gear or suspension install necessary)
True but it helps, i have a 2" rancho lift with 31x10.50 bfg mudterrains and i still rub when the truck gets flexed hard of course that usually means the whole top of the tire is in the inner fender well so you should be ok, but expect rubbing unless my truck is just a rare case.

·
Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
How do you like the BFG tires?
I love them they have a real aggressive look and on my toy they dont wear down fast at all. Sand and my tires dont get along too well unless i air down but ive heard mud tires suck on rocks and i have no issues they do well there as well as mud..they do very well in the mud. So i guess you could say i like my tires alot. I like both the performance and look of the bfg mudterrains

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah, that looks like a good choice. i have to drive on the road a lot, and that tire looks like it'll be good for that, too. and i can order a set at costco, and i think they'll give a discount on 4 or 5.

anyone have one of the more conservative interco tires? like the ssr?

thanks for the advice, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts