Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering why they didnt put the celica gts engine in the tC instead of the camry 4 cylinder engine? because the tC is replacing the celica how come they just didnt put the Celica engine in there instead of putting a weaker camry engine...

·
Dthepit
91 Posts
not enough torque in the 2zz for the heavier tC.

·
There is no substitute.
8,031 Posts
Weaker Camry engine?

How about defining what's weak about it when it's got 160+ pounds of peak torque at much earlier rpm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i meant weak horsepower wise. and i guess i understand why the put the camry engine more TQ hmmm

·
There is no substitute.
8,031 Posts
^You need to understand you need the value of torque to calculate value of horsepower on any engine.

·
Pondering the choices
112 Posts
yup

all hp is is trq over time. Plus id prefer a sweet curve than peak. I like to be able to get up and go while im driving normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone have there tC dyno'd yet? If so how was the results? Im going with a custom built turbo for mine. Supercharger I think would be to hard on the gas milage.

Hmm

Supercharger = Instant zoom
Turbo = Instant power after certain RPM

I think that if im cruising around town and not wanting to get on it, the turbo would be the way to go.

Oh well, Ill get you guys some pics as I go thru my transformation of my car.

GO TORQ!

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
romor has it 8th gen celica will not have the 2zz...rather it will have the 2az. Hence to counter-argue....Although N.America will not get the 8th gen celi...the tc will be the celica we never got (in engine wise).

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't know why people keep saying it and assuming it, but the tC is "NOT" a replacement for the discontinued Celica in the North America. The tC is its own car and has its own place in the Toyota line up. If Toyota decides to replace the Celica then I'd more so assume they'll just use the same Celica sold in the rest of the world and rebadge it. Not saying that'll happen, but its what I'd assume will be of the Celica if it was to be replaced.

But yes, rumor does have it that the 8th generation Celica will be driven with the 2azge. Still just rumors though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Celica

Hey all,

I am new to this. I agree with the previous post though. I have not heard anything about the Celica being discontinued. I think that it will still be here. Just a new motor for it.

Also, in my opinion, the Celica GTS motor is a large pile of crap. The new motor is much better all around and would be much better even in the Celica. The torque and horsepower combo of the Celica motor is very poor when you drive the vehicle. It feels slow, even with a manual to me. Just my opinion though.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
read motor trend from a few months ago - its OFFICIAL. 2005 is the LAST year for celica in n. america!

·
Registered
56 Posts
the camry engine is a lot stronger than the celica engine. Peak HP over torque might be great for revving up to 8000rpm, but i like the idea of having enough torque to haul stuff right off the line, and not having to rev the engine up to high. Plus, given equal amounts of tuning, a bigger engine can make more HP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
o hmm i though they were completly killing the celica world wide

1 - 20 of 25 Posts