Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys ,

I am using my 2019 TCH LE, as my daily driver and delivery vehicle for work, I deliver about 100 packages a day and averaging about 200-250 kms a day. Currently I am getting an amazing mileage of 4.6L/ 100km (approx 50MPG). My odometer reads 47000 km.

I have to shift to P every time I get out of the vehicle to deliver the package to doorstep, it Hardly takes 1 min to deliver, but I cannot exit the vehicle without shifting the vehicle to P , when I try to exit the vehicle while keeping it in N or D ( while using the HOLD) , the car gives me a warning.

My queries are :

1. Does it strain the hybrid drivetrain every time I shift into P ? since I am doing this more than 100 times a day due to my job. I notice a sound every time I shift from P to D and D to P, something like a screeching Sound from the engine or the transmission.

2. Is there any work around to avoid shifting in P while exiting the vehicle ?

3. will I damage my vehicle / hybrid battery with excessive start stop maneuvers? I am on EV mode mostly during deliveries since the deliveries are close to each other (avg about 1 km between deliveries).

thanks

mo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest having HOLD on, leaving it in D, applying the HANDBRAKE and ignoring the warning. Try it first a couple of times on dry runs (just stay with the car, outside it but nearby) because the HOLD has a timeout, but I would be certain the HANDBRAKE hasn't. The warning after all is just that, a warning. Cheers

·
8,164 Posts
Safety first.
Keep it in P. Everyone will be better off, when you do this.
What is HOLD?
What is that you are asking?
1. Does it straight the hybrid drivetrain every time I shift into P ?
Cars are made to shift in and out as much as you wish.
DO NOT leave vehicle in N. Never.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had used a HOLD in the traffic hold up which was like 3 min or more, there was a warning which said I need to press on the brake, I need to find that time out. Can’t decide the risk vs benefit.

any comments about using the P frequently in my line of work ?

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safety first.
Keep it in P. Everyone will be better off, when you do this.
What is HOLD?
What is that you are asking?
1. Does it straight the hybrid drivetrain every time I shift into P ?
Cars are made to shift in and out as much as you wish.
DO NOT leave vehicle in N. Never.
Sorry there is a typo , what I was asking was , does it strain the hybrid drivetrain whilst constantly shifting to P , like 100 times a day.

·
8,164 Posts
Naahh. You'll be fine.
So there is HOLD feature on new cars? Like up or down hill HOLD? What exactly doe sit do?

·
8,164 Posts
I see..

When Brake Hold is active, the vehicle will automatically hold the brakes for you when the vehicle comes to a complete stop, until the accelerator pedal is depressed, of course. You no longer need to keep your foot pressed on the brake pedal while you wait in traffic or at a stoplight.

Does not say about any limitations though, apparently, it should not be used for more than 3 minutes, OR, alarm simply checks if you fell asleep or not.

Seriously, you should have bought Chevy Bolt for this job. Or, Volt2.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does not say about any limitations though, apparently, it should not be used for more than 3 minutes, OR, alarm simply checks if you fell asleep or not.

Seriously, you should have bought Chevy Bolt for this job. Or, Volt2.
lol , I agree, you see I have A family of 5 members , a Chevy won’t exactly Cut it. ;)

thanks a lot for confirming that shifting to P multiple times a day won’t hurt the transmission.

any suggestions on oil Change frequency for my line of work ? Toyota recommends 16000 km between oil changes, the use the 0w-16 , since I have a lots of start stop driving , would you suggest an earlier change ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
sorry, I didn’t understand your question.
I do a lot of start and stop driving and i need to park the car when doing deliveries. i noticed that the car does not allow me to exit the vehicle while in Neutral, since i don't want to use the park gear all the time. hence i keep the car in P and do my delivery. every time i put the car in P from D, there is a screeching sound and the sound goes away , the sound is almost like something was spinning and it came to a screeching halt.

it does this every time i go from D to P.
i think this a normal phenomenon and i am over reacting. off-course i will get it checked at the dealer in my next service.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm pretty sure the noise you are describing is the parking brake automatically engaging when you put it in Park, and disengaging when you put it in Drive. Unless you have disabled that, in which case I am out of ideas.

Using a parking brake is pretty much as important as putting it in Park IMO (belt and braces as they say).

·
Registered
170 Posts
To disable, push & hold the parking brake button until the MID displays "EPB Shift Interlock Function Deactivated"

And pull & hold to enable it.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure the noise you are describing is the parking brake automatically engaging when you put it in Park, and disengaging when you put it in Drive. Unless you have disabled that, in which case I am out of ideas.
brother ! you are a keeper ! thanks , it was exactly as you said ! it was a sound of the electronic parking brake ! thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts