Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an interesting coupon for my 2003 Highlander recently.

Transmission Flush: $XX*

* (in small print) Toyota Type T-IV Transmission Fluid Extra

If you don't pay extra, do they put something else in there?!

I'm assuming they mean the service costs XX, and you pay for the fluid separately, but don't most places offer it all in one price? So misleading...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would be shocked if the dealership ever uses anything other than the standard toyota fluid, my guess is they don't include the fluid in the price since different vehicles use different amounts of fluid, that's why they probably charge XX for the service and then extra depending on the fluid capacity of your vehicle? I don't know this for sure, just a guess. And why are you surprised that a dealership wants to nickel-and-dime you? ;-)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont be so critical....not every trans uses the same type/amount.
This was one of those "just for you" coupons, automatically generated because they guess it's about time for a trans flush. But anyway, the transmission is something I do myself. I just felt like the coupon was one more chapter in the saga of stealerships.

If I have to call for clarification, doesn't that say it all?! :facepalm: I got a good laugh out of it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drain and refill around every 30k and drop/clean the pan and filter every other time. I haven't had a chance to drop the pan on the Highlander yet--only at 54k. My Prizm (Corolla) is due in a bit. I'm gonna try draining some from the cooler lines as well. Practice for the Highlander, which is much more valuable (and also almost due for a change).

Draining and refilling is super easy. Use a 10 mm allen head, drain, replace plug gasket with a new one, screw plug in, fill through the dipstick, check fluid level, done. I have the FWD V6, so there isn't a transfer case to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
dchigh
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing