Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 99 corolla (54k) needed a new water pump and i replaced the coolant with a new one. I had never done so since i bought the car. Since then i notice the temperature raises much slower than before.

If i put coolant in the reservoir, the car drops a big part of it while i drive. I notice the coolant reservoir is full just after i park. But when i come back when the car is cool, i notice the reservoir is pretty low. It seems like the new coolant expands too much while driving. There's no coolant left on the place where i park.

Does someone notice a wrong behavior here?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Did it overheat when the pump went out? Sounds like you might have a blown headgasket. Even a tiny amount of compression getting in the cooling system will eventually blow it out the overflow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it overheat when the pump went out? Sounds like you might have a blown headgasket. Even a tiny amount of compression getting in the cooling system will eventually blow it out the overflow.
Thanks for your reply. That sounds awful. The temperature gauge never exceeded it's normal value. However, i know the engine may overheat without this happening. Just to make sure, are you referring to the "Gasket problems" section in this page?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_gasket

The country i currently reside on, does not provide qualified support for imported toyotas (aka USA toyotas). I must do pretty much of the fixing job myself. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your descriptions says new coolant and water pump, temperature guage behaving differently, slow to warm. Could be your seeing better cooling, that is all. the loss of coolant could be air bubble. Add more, should stop.
Thanks for your reply. Each time i add more, after driving a while, parking and waiting to cool down, the coolant reservoir is pretty low. Something i did not mention, is that when i turn on the car and wait for the engine to warm up, i can see coolant being dropped from the reservoir.

The slow warm up begun when my pump went out. I believe it's because i was running out of coolant (the pump had a leak). Before changing my pump the coolant reservoir was almost empty. These are the facts freaking me out.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Each time i add more, after driving a while, parking and waiting to cool down, the coolant reservoir is pretty low. Something i did not mention, is that when i turn on the car and wait for the engine to warm up, i can see coolant being dropped from the reservoir.

The slow warm up begun when my pump went out. I believe it's because i was running out of coolant (the pump had a leak). Before changing my pump the coolant reservoir was almost empty. These are the facts freaking me out.
The simplest way to find out whats going on and the overall health of the engine is spend $25 USD for a Used Oil Analysis. That will tell you if there are traces of coolant in the oil, and confirm Zembonez statement above. Link to Blackstone Labs Include the info above with the test kit and they will respond back with findings and suggestions. also ask them via email if this is possible in your country.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved

Well, you were right. It wasn't the blown head gasket. It was only some air in the system (i hope so). A mechanic told me i was putting too much coolant in the reservoir. Since i put less coolant, it doesn't get empty and stays at the same level.

About the slow rise up of the gauge, i believe it has to do with the new coolant. The old coolant is from 14 years ago (probably).

So if i ever have another problem, i'll probable ask here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Well, you were right. It wasn't the blown head gasket. It was only some air in the system (i hope so). A mechanic told me i was putting too much coolant in the reservoir. Since i put less coolant, it doesn't get empty and stays at the same level.

About the slow rise up of the gauge, i believe it has to do with the new coolant. The old coolant is from 14 years ago (probably).

So if i ever have another problem, i'll probable ask here.
The new coolant will dissipate heat better, give different gauge results. The coolant also serves as waterpump lubricant, corrosion deterrent, and sensors use the coolant temp for your fuel/idle mix. Neglect the coolant, have all sorts of problems. Look at the bottom left of radiator next time your under the hood. See that white petcock?. Just loosen that, let a gallon of coolant out, close it, put a new gallon in. Its that simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts