Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while idling temp rises to normal operating temp. but gauge drops to near cool while driven...any suggestions please comment for tips on diagnoses or had similar problem and now fixed explain below...

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
I would suspect the t-stat. Sitting still there may be less cold air going thru the radiator. Driving down the road may create more cooling than the fan(s) running while idling. May not be the problem but I'd consider it a likely possibility. But check coolant level too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what's t-stat? also the coolant level from reservoir goes downs every other day...replaced radiator cap thinking the coolant temp sensor since when starting the idle is rough then dies...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i suspected too...if the thermostat is faulty it may stay open in turn letting coolant flow causing cooler temp..

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
what's t-stat? also the coolant level from reservoir goes downs every other day...replaced radiator cap thinking the coolant temp sensor since when starting the idle is rough then dies...
It means thermostat. A defective thermostat is a likely cause but is difficult to know for sure unless it is replaced or taken out and tested. Changing this is inexpensive and could remedy the problem.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Sorry, t-stat is short for thermostat. Also, I'm pretty sure I've read low coolant level can be a problem. I suspect at idle with low coolant, it doesn't circulate as well as it should but at higher RPM the water pump probably increases the circulation and cooling effect.

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
Has the car ever run hot? Having to replace that much coolant every other day and it running rough sounds like a blown head gasket and the thermostat is probably stuck open as well but, coolant dropping and idling rough and dying isn't a thermostat problem

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Has the car ever run hot? Having to replace that much coolant every other day and it running rough sounds like a blown head gasket and the thermostat is probably stuck open as well but, coolant dropping and idling rough and dying isn't a thermostat problem
Very true, but that information wasn't imparted in the original post. That's one of the challenges of attempting to troubleshoot problems on the 'net. Still, a lot of the information found here is worth much more than we pay for it. :grin:

·
M/T lover
'00 Echo
965 Posts
Sounds more like low coolant to me. I have had bad thermostats, stuck open, and at idle they weren't even trying to get up to temperature. Dead of summer even took nearly an hour of driving to get things up to temperature.

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
Sounds more like low coolant to me. I have had bad thermostats, stuck open, and at idle they weren't even trying to get up to temperature. Dead of summer even took nearly an hour of driving to get things up to temperature.

It has to be going somewhere though if the op is replacing it that often though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts