Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
TEMS = Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension.

It allows for different damper stiffnesses, you can have 'em hard for the twisties, or soft for long distance highway trips - all at the push of a button.

They were a rare option on the 1985-1988 Cressida (5M-GE) as well, not sure if they were available on newer models.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
They're overrated, most Mk3-ers I know, set 'em to hard, and leave them that way. Also, most people (when upgrading) ignore the Tokico option of TEMS Strut replacements as they're a Toyota only item. Other manufacturers and companies have made more recent strides in electronicallty adjustable suspension components, as newer models have anywhere between 5-8 levels of ride adjustabililty. The Mk3 only had 3 (2 selectable w/o jumpering at the diag. block.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
tokico tems options...

I have an 89 mkiii with the TEMS option. Was planning on changing it sooner or later with the Tokico tems option but after reading this post I am confused.

Should I look for suspension that will work specifically with the tems system or just get a set that works just for the mkiii?

Reccomendations either way please. If I should just disable the tems let me know.

I'm just a daily hard driver..nothing too crazy. I'll lower the car but if I can use the tems and its helpful in someway then i should use it I'd think

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Get rid of the TEMS. The "TEMS Compatible" struts cost more, and don't give you jack. Pull off the actuators and go with any strut combo you'd like.

·
Repatriated POW
226 Posts
Nuts to that man.....

The TEIN FLEX Type coil-overs are nice.

Plus if you want the electronic modulation again, you can get the shock controller that will make the adjustments for you. (The EDFC module)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts