Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tercel Questions

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kaaasap 
#1 ·
I know that there are a threads that already talk about Tercel engine swaps but what I would like to know is if you can just swap a head off a Paseo and put it onto a Tercel block? Also, I'd really like to get a stock Tercel gauge that has a tachometer on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to look. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
93Tercel said:
I would like to know is if you can just swap a head off a Paseo and put it onto a Tercel block?
Why? They are the same thing. That is, the 5E-FE (non-DIS) in the Tercel and the Paseo 5E-FE heads are the same. Well, almost the same. Not exactly. There are a few differences, and I forget what ones they are. You aren't going to be able to swap a 5E-FE head onto a 3E-E.

What you might to think about is swapping the entire engine out. I assume you have the 3E-E. Not worth it man. Once they get past 100k miles, they tend to start burning oil pretty bad.

Look into swapping the cynos 5E-FHE or a paseo 5E-FE or a Starlet GT 4E-FTE in.

And by the way, the search feature is priceless.

#3 ·
Thanks. I have used the search engine on the site, but obviously it didn't help much. I've searched all over TercelOnline for gauge clusters and I can't find one that has a tachometer. Does anyone know which model that they came in? BTW, my Tercel has 146,000 miles on it and it doesn't burn any oil. So I think 100,000 is cutting it a little short. :)

#8 ·
just find a paseo cluster from the same generation and swap it in, make sure to match options on the car though. if you have abs and/or and airbag, make sure the car you get it from also has these.

#12 ·
one more thing, i had a 93 mirage with stock bottom and cams. only upgrade was the head (hehehe) job. i gained gobs of low end. i did get better mid and high, but the responce of the low end was great. i could smoke em throug second and have a third chirp from a first idle just by giving it the onion. the mirage was similar weight and power as the tercel. 2010 lbs and 98 hp. it had a 1.5 soch with 12 valves. my brother out in colorado springs is the best harley mechanic there. it only costed me 40 to ship the head there and back from tampa. if you email me direct to my yahoo account i could give you his info. mention you know me and he will do it for only a clam or so. tons cheaper than a machine shop will charge. if any one else is interested let me know by starting a stream asking me about it. this is all certified work. he can do magic with heads (hehe).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.