Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So I have a 97 camry LE 4cyl with 194k which has been getting recently only about 16-19mpg City/Highway I know my timing belt is due to be replaced since it squeals on occasion like a mofo when the AC is on and I accelerate. The other thing is ever since I got my tranny rebuilt AMACO when I shift from park to reverse there is a hard thud that you can feel in the car.

If it matters we bought this car in 98 after it had been a loaner car, even then the acceleration was a turtle. Runs fairly well...minus the acceleration seems like its only got a lawn mower engine in it. haha. My dads 07 corolla LE 1.8L has twice the acceleration/power feel than the 2.2 or 2.4 my car has.

Also, when idling the tach looks like its having a seizure it vibrates like none other and is idling around only 600RPM and the headlights dim unless the engine is revved up a little bit.

Does anyone know why I would be getting such terrible gas mileage and power issues or what that thud is when switching into reverse from park?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When did you get your transmission rebuilt and when did was the last time you have your ATF changed? I changed ATF on my mom corolla yesterday and I can feel that's a lot smoother shifting from P to R.

As far as gas mileage, the car probably need a tune up with new PCV valve, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
my 97 has 180
just put an used tranny couple months ago @ 175Kmile

that job didn't change my MPG
I got between 22-30 in general (all interstate drive will give 30 for sure)

did you change your air filter?
what about the injector?
try some fuel system cleaner for a few times and see if MPG gets better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had the transmission rebuilt in novemberish last year. That is when the ATF was changed. I think that the shifter cables must be off also since when I put it into drive it shows up in drive down by the shifter but up on the display it isn't lighting up D unless I push it closer to N and only then can I set my cruise control. The tranny rebuild was actually my fault...revving up the engine and shifting into drive to spin the tires lol...that was a costly mistake. Heck, we could have bought an American motor company POS for under the price that the new tranny costed ex. FORD TRASHUS (taurus) I despise that car it actually angers me when I see one which is pretty much every 3rd car it seems...

I've abused this new tranny some just because I know that it has a couple year no fault warranty (but if I use NOS it voids but I don't plan on using it so it doesn't matter lol.)

So, any idea why performance is so terrible? Given it has a 4cyl it shouldn't accelerate that terribly. I know plugs/wires were replaced w/in the last 2 years. Still had terrible performance even after that.

Oh, the air filter was replaced when I got into an accident when some woman ran a stop sign going 15-20 over the speed limit and they still thought it was my fault...lol but then they ruled it a no fault or else I would have lost my 16yo license.

Doesn't super unleaded clean your system out fairly well since its alcohol? Would I have to drop the tank down to get to the pump?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check your oxygen sensor buddy. You might not be getting a CEL for it , but I would suggest going to Autozone or O'Reily and have them read the codes, even if your light isn't on

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,180 Posts
"I know my timing belt is due to be replaced since it squeals on occasion like a mofo when the AC is on and I accelerate." Timing belts do not slip when you turn the A/C on. If your timing belt were slipping I really doubt the car would run. As far as the thud shifting it could be motor or trans mount. As for the gas mileage look at the basics, plugs, wires, igniters (they could cause erratic tach).

Reactions: underoath

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha nice call there. :) but I know its due to be replaced soon was replaced @ 100k and I'm closing in at 200k...dang I should have proof read what I was posting. I even knew that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts