Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 toyota highlander limited 3,3 v6
I have removed the 02 sensors and the air/fuel sensors.
I would like to test the sensors to see if they are working.
1. what setting exactly do I want to set the muiltimeter at?
2. what pins do I want to plug/clip into to test?
3. what numbers should be showing on muiltimeter to show if good or not?
Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not %100 sure on this, but I think the A/F sensor is tested in the car with the engine running. You use your obd scanner in live view mode and snap the throttle while looking at the values. I'm sure someone here will be able to explain that more thoroughly.
Not sure about the others.

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,818 Posts
Lots of utube videos and some sensors are tested, if not running at least at running temp.
This video may be one of many that might answer some of your questions. Sorry I can't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you speed !
all 3 sensors are showing 1- no continuity in all 3. I am wondering if that is a usual thing that all 3 are out at the same time. has this happen to any one here?
that means the 4th one is most likely out also. does this sound about right for a 2003?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops lol i did not have one of the prongs pluged in
1st sensor clip on to the 2 black wire prongs.16 oms

2nd reads 2.9 oms

3rd 13.8 omsx

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it looks like it will be the air/fuel sensor bank 2 sensor 1 . anyone know a good place to order from?
Its about $200.00 bucks! ouch

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,818 Posts
You can get it online directly from Denso.
I'd avoid Amazon or Ebay,

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,818 Posts
A good number of forum members have experience counterfeit Toyota and Denso parts.
A lot fall under," if the price is too good to be true" but others are cheaper but not enough to raise red flags. You can check Rock Auto or Carparts.com and if you want. You don't have to use Denso.
Your call on a brand.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The car has OBD2. If you do not have the check engine light on then the sensors are working properly to specification.
Save your money. Or spend it on the factory shop manual and electrical wiring diagram (the actual paper ones) that are usually available on EBay
If you want to do the actual sensor test it is done on the car and you need a lab scope. The instructions are in the FSM.
Also, most of us recommend Denso sensors if you plan to keep the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Cr
Yes the check engine light along with the vsc light. I can not even take the California smog test because of the lights. So the reading says sensor not working B2 s1 .
The car has OBD2. If you do not have the check engine light on then the sensors are working properly to specification.
Save your money. Or spend it on the factory shop manual and electrical wiring diagram (the actual paper ones) that are usually available on EBay
If you want to do the actual sensor test it is done on the car and you need a lab scope. The instructions are in the FSM.
Also, most of us recommend Denso sensors if you plan to keep the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
p2241.
try try to smog today. and failed. smog tec gave me a paper saying code p2241. will post pic later

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the bank2 sensor 1 sensor and still the check engine light still on. If I replace the sensor do I have to re-set the computer?
Also, I just ordered the gas cap.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do a continuity, short and cross-conductance test on the wiring harness from the ECM to the sensor socket. Could be in the wiring. Mice find them tasty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do a continuity, short and cross-conductance test on the wiring harness from the ECM to the sensor socket. Could be in the wiring. Mice find them tasty.
Hi cr
can you please give a little more detail. where is the ECM socket at? then where do I poke the probes at?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also the engine maintenance light blinks 4 times when i start the car then turns off. just started to do this today thank u

·
Registered
783 Posts
First, what year do you actually have? Unless you have some non-US version, the 3.3 V6 and maintenance light came on the ‘04 to ‘07. You state you have the 03. Check the door and hood labels, or better yet put the VIN into the Vehicle Specification checker on the Toyota owner’s site. That will give you the list of options on the car too.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ok 2004 model year. Makes a difference in the wiring diagram.
I strongly recommend that you go to Ebay and buy the 2004 Highlander electrical wiring manual. You will need it for this. There are a couple for cheap money right now.
You could do a couple thousand dollars damage doing this check, so if you are not comfortable with electrical checks, take it to a shop.
I would disconnect the battery before starting. This will mean doing work to reset the radio and perhaps the sunroof and the ECM will need to relearn, which is another opportunity for problems.
The contacts at the ECM are delicate, so I clip a pixie fuse, usually 0.1 amp, in the alligator leads of the DVM and use the pico fuse lead to contact the pins.
Look up the connector which carries the sensor signals to the ECM,which is under the dash on the passenger side.
When you get this far, let me know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts