I have two but this one seems best

PXL_20210613_164933169.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are there more than one housing tools?
I have two but this one seems best
I don't know if there are different styles of wrenches to remove this type of filter housing. I tried several of what I already had on hand, none worked. I had picked up an inexpensive one from O'Reilly's anticipating that what I owned would NOT work.(First oil change on new to me 07 Sienna)The freaking filter was on so tight it took a 1/2" breaker bar 2 feet long to get it broke loose! Afterwards I looked over the wrench; one or 2 of the "teeth were bent, and the hex nut area was deformed as well. Since I only tighten by hand, I can remove by hand. I returned the wrench and was refunded my $ As with anything, quality is usually related to price.

View attachment 337838

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well after 35+ years of oil changes, it happened. I broke it.

In the process of wrenching that plastic housing off, with a 1/2" breaker bar, a fin snapped off. enough to make the housing leak. I am incensed.

I have to remove it and compare it to the one from the RAV4, since I replaced that with an aluminum housing.

Thanks schaumburg toyota /S

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ultimately the 3/8" drive hole in aluminum was mangled, and yes it was fully engaged...
I went to a 1/2" drive socket for that 1" looking hex. Next up, aluminum housing.

The RAV4 housing was in fact a match

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PXL_20210613_180320096.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
25Nm, about 18 foot pounds.

Maybe they didn't lube the o-ring?

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,395 Posts
25Nm, about 18 foot pounds.

Maybe they didn't lube the o-ring?
With the plastic type oil canister housing, when we are tighening the canister, the purpose is to get the O-Ring to be sealed, not the canister itself. Whom ever did the job previously over torqued it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the plastic type oil canister housing, when we are tighening the canister, the purpose is to get the O-Ring to be sealed, not the canister itself. Whom ever did the job previously over torqued it.
I'm a little dubious about this statement, since the canister has 25 Newton meters molded into it.....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm a little dubious about this statement, since the canister has 25 Newton meters molded into it.....
Check out TheCarCareNut channel, as he explains it in detail. That is someone with Credibility.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
4,873 Posts
From my experience trying to help folks with oil changes, some dealers/shops WAY over-torque those. I sent one person I was trying to help to the dealer as the dealer had done the last oil change and told her to have them break it lose - that way if it broke it was their issue and not mine. I changed the oil for her, but made them loosen it as it was flexing like a mofo and I KNEW I would break it. Was kind of surprised they did not!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats not quite what he says. He said the surface making contact are not the seal , but the o-ring in the bore. HOWever, he does, without a torque wrench, tighten until the surfaces make contact, then a tiny little snug. He also advises you can use a torque wrench if you like.

I would not tighten until the or-ing goes in there and leave it with a gap between the housing and the block.

regardless, 18 foot pounds would not have necessitated a 1/2" breaker bar and both arms. I imagine they didnt lube it AND over tightened.

and I am getting an aluminum housing, as it works well on the RAV

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thats not quite what he says. He said the surface making contact are not the seal , but the o-ring in the bore. HOWever, he does, without a torque wrench, tighten until the surfaces make contact, then a tiny little snug. He also advises you can use a torque wrench if you like.

I would not tighten until the or-ing goes in there and leave it with a gap between the housing and the block.

regardless, 18 foot pounds would not have necessitated a 1/2" breaker bar and both arms. I imagine they didnt lube it AND over tightened.

and I am getting an aluminum housing, as it works well on the RAV
Aluminum housing is a good choice. I definitely agree with you someone over torqued it.

·
Registered
2020 SE
190 Posts
Those oil filter wrenches suck because they always slip off or they don't have enough torque bite.

Now these aren't a joke. Just using standard long 1/2 ratchet and 6 inch 1/2 extension can still break loose the most seized up filters. When they get stuck on the canister; they come right off when you tighten the new filter on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well after 35+ years of oil changes, it happened. I broke it.

In the process of wrenching that plastic housing off, with a 1/2" breaker bar, a fin snapped off. enough to make the housing leak. I am incensed.

I have to remove it and compare it to the one from the RAV4, since I replaced that with an aluminum housing.

Thanks schaumburg toyota /S
You say it was a plastic housing; right? Plastic becomes brittle over time, especially with heat cycles. The Car Care Nut advises replacing a plastic housing with metal.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You say it was a plastic housing; right? Plastic becomes brittle over time, especially with heat cycles. The Car Care Nut advises replacing a plastic housing with metal.
Which video was this? He actually said otherwise, they last a very long time if handle and torqued properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I misquoted the CCN He says the plastic is high grade and will last a long time if not over torqued.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts