Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being recently laid off from work, I've found myself doing things I wouldn't normally attempt just so I'm not sitting around reading forums all day :D ... So I ordered one of those Bullit grill's from California Auto Performance on Ebay... was like 138 total for the main grill and lower portion.

I hate cutting shit. I especially hate cutting into any part of my beloved car/truck. But I got time.. so what the hell. Getting the grill frame off is a snap - two bolts, two pins and a couple funky clips at the bottom that i used pliers to undo.

The grill frame and new grill:

Now the fun part, cutting the old grill. I guess once you get past the point of no return (ie, you can't put it back if you change your mind because it will look like crap) it was pretty easy. It was dremel madness with burning plastic and broken cut disks. What seemed like hours later, I had gutted the internals of the grill frame:

After that, it's just a matter of cutting/sanding down the "stumps" left on the old grill and fitting the new one in place. The new one had 4 screws and clips that keep the grill very securely in place. It was somewhat of a PITA to line it up and mark the holes to drill for those screws, but hey, eventually it'll happen. I think I may have drilled a couple extra holes after seeing how badly aligned it was, but you can't see them. After it was lined up I screwed in the bottom part first, then lined it up some more and did the top section. The grill almost fits TOO snug. After that I dropped it back in place and voila:

The bottom one took about 5 minutes, and all it uses are some J hooks to clamp down to the existing black plastic. The fit on the bottom was perfect, no real problem there. If you've been thinking about doing this it's not very difficult provided you've got a dremel or other flexible cutting/sanding tools available. Hope this helps anyone who's interested in installing one.

Also, the quality is really good... no complaints at all on the workmanship. Now lets just see if it lasts!

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
looks good. I dont like the idea of having 2 grill sin the summer weather. Good idea ya got dere mang

·
MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
581 Posts
looks good, not just take that dealer tag off the front :) i hate all the dealer tags dealerships put on cars, thats always the first thing to come off when i bring a new vechicle home. annoying advertisements. seems like everything now days is an advertisment...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's off!

I originally had it on just to cover the screw holes, which look like they were drilled from the backside by someone who was either blind or stoned or both. Had to take it off for the lower grill so figured I'd just leave it off - the bull bar covers it from most angles. :D

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma TRD SP
110 Posts
Is there a way to attach the Toyota Emblem on the stock grill to the new grill?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BabyBlue said:
Is there a way to attach the Toyota Emblem on the stock grill to the new grill?
I think someone on another forum had figured out a way to keep the emblem on... I think it was either with zip ties, auto tape or both. Personally, I think it looks cleaner without it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts