Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
i tried a few different ways to word a search, but I come up empty on this.

Ok, I have a Camry LE, and as many of you too have Camry's, what have some of you done to shut off that "passenger air bag" light at the top of the dashboard..??

All I have done was put a piece of black cardboard up there to hide it. I would have disconnected a wire under the passenger seat, but I wasn't certain it wouldn't interfere with the air bag itself.

and I do know (or think) that if I were to disconnect a wire, the light might go off, but now, I do not wish to set any fault codes, that might not go away by simply disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Ignore it....work on something worthwhile.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
The light is so far to the right of the main dash that I don't even notice. Plus, no one ever sits in the car with me so I usually don't see it on in the first place. If it bothers you that much use a piece of electrical tape.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its not that bad. I think its best you let it be. Its there to remind you the air bag is activated or not. Last thing you want is for it to malfunction and your air bag doesn't deploy while someone sitting there. You'll get used to it .

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
The light is so far to the right of the main dash that I don't even notice. Plus, no one ever sits in the car with me so I usually don't see it on in the first place. If it bothers you that much use a piece of electrical tape.
if you actually took the time to read the post, you would have read where i said i used a piece of black cardboard. and at times, I AM in the passenger seat. so it IS QUITE annoying to me then.........in THAT case, it's NOT "far to the right".......

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
1,039 Posts
The passenger airbag light is good for safety. I just leave it alone, agreeing with njerald that you should do something worthwhile. If the sensor indicates "Air bag off", I know my passenger (real person) is under-weigh and the airbag won't deploy on that side in case accidents. If it happens, it's better to seat him/her in the back seat.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
if you actually took the time to read the post, you would have read where i said i used a piece of black cardboard. and at times, I AM in the passenger seat. so it IS QUITE annoying to me then.........in THAT case, it's NOT "far to the right"......

Jeez calm down. Don't bite my head off...... I didn't know you sat in the passenger seat and elec. tape is a little better than thick ugly cardboard. Tape is tape. I still don't see how it can be that annoying, lots of cars have the pass. air bag light somewhere near the passenger side. My old 2002 Chevy Duramax Diesel truck had it even more annoyingly in your face than the Camry does. The lights don't bother me....I spend my time either talking with the driver/other passengers or looking out the windows.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Isn't it refreshing to know that the worst thing someone can complain about is an idiot light on the car's dash? Why over on the Land Rover board, they have things to complain about!

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't it refreshing to know that the worst thing someone can complain about is an idiot light on the car's dash? Why over on the Land Rover board, they have things to complain about!
if someone spends over 70k for pieces of plastic and metal, they got no right to complain.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,127 Posts
That whole center piece of the dashboard pulls right out. It will require you to unplug one electrical connector that gives power and sends information to the display.

You can see if you can tinker with the parts and pull out the plastic pieces and maybe put a piece of electrical tape on the inside, which would look slightly less ghetto than putting it on the outside.

Or, as an alternative, you can just leave the whole thing disconnected: Then you won't have to worry about that annoying set of lights- although you'll have to deal with also not having an "annoying" clock and "annoying" security light that blinks when you are not in the car.

But- if you start tinkering with it and break something- be aware that I'm sure Toyota charges a pretty penny for any of those little parts. And it won't be covered under warranty.

It's your car- do what you want with it regardless of what others on the forum think. However- just a word of caution: If your next thread is titled "Crap- how do I fix the passenger airbag light- and will it be covered under warranty?", be prepared for just a bit of flaming.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Before this thread and your actions get any further, think about this.

You get into an accident (knock on wood) and you have an adult passenger. Airbag does not deploy and they go out the front windshield. Now, there will be an investigation as to why the airbag didn't deploy. It comes out that it was faulty and Toyota is in big doo doo. Than someone notices your fix for that dim, orange annoying light that you notice once a month. And than you are the one who's in BIG doo doo.

Just let it go dude.

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,804 Posts
That airbag light doesn't bother me at all. It's the airbag thats sitting there that does!

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
That airbag light doesn't bother me at all. It's the airbag thats sitting there that does!
If it bothers you so much that's not your only air bag to worry about....don't forget the curtain air bag and the one that's in your seat. How's that for bothering you?

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,804 Posts
^ You misconstrued my statement. I mean the person sitting in my front passenger seat. :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It only annoys me when I put my cooler on it and it starts blinking but since the wife is heavier than my cooler it only stays lit which isn't bad. Funny story my cousin has an 07 altima and on his dash the light wouldn't stop blinking when he took it to the dealer the service advisor asked him "Sir is your wife a big chick?" That's a CLASSIC!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts